April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Relax, let's do it!, SP:18 {Baria/Basasius}
Captain
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 07:13 PM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

383 Posts
1030 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Their first Gather had gone off without a hitch. They'd met Lord Callum and mingled and fallen asleep in an exhausted heap by the end of it. Baria was pleased with how it went and judging by the affectionate way she'd treated Bas since, she was pleased with how he'd handled it, too.

It was still early, light only just peeking into their rooms, but Baria was already up and halfway dressed. "Basasius," she whispered, dropping to her knees beside the bed and placing her face inches from her husband's ear. "Baaaaaas," she murmured again, then finally planted a loud kiss on his cheek. "I'm going to go riding. Do you want to come?" She kept her voice low, not wanting to wake him up too violently if he didn't want to be woken up... Not that her kiss wouldn't have done that.

She hadn't expected to actually care for her husband. But she could feel herself falling in love, something she was encouraging with small kisses and holding his hand and flirting shamelessly. It was still a young relationship, and Baria was thrilled to find her husband a loving and considerate man. Not that a controlling or overbearing one would have lasted long in a relationship with her. But she legitimately liked Bas as a person. Which helped everything else go smoothly.

"If we want to sneak out before anyone realizes, we have to go soon." She'd already left a note saying where she was, but had decided to invite Bas last minute. She might as well take a step in attempting to nourish their relationship, after all!

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 12:12 AM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4028 Posts
15 Marks

He knew better than to think it would ever be easy. Life would be under a magnifying glass for them for the rest of their days, certainly until they proved capable Holders at least, and he hadn't missed the great deal of interest in his canines. People were curious by nature, and he concerned himself with the upkeep of his family's legacy just as much as anything else. Though, naturally, his wife and his Hold came first and foremost.

Basasius enjoyed his sleep. More than most people, given he didn't usually get a whole lot of it, and was prone to passing out only when he either couldn't fight the ability to stay coherent and awake any longer, or had no other work to do. Something his new spouse shared, which was as refreshing as it was occasionally bothersome. She beat him to a lot of what needed to be done, which both made them look good as well as bad. After all, men were kept to a certain level of expectation insofar as what they were supposed to do.

He definitely wasn't used to her being close to him in that way. Let alone displays of that kind of affection that weren't for public meaning. Things meant to make them look the part of what they were in title, but not so much behind closed doors - at least, for now.

It appeared, in some respects, as if he'd begun to shift that slider the proper direction on the scale, as it were.

"Mmmm?"

The inquiry was uttered post-inhale, the contact having woken him consciously, as well as in other manners less than suitable for explanation. But she was his wife. She'd have to witness him in all his awkward, potentially horrible early-morning-no-Klah glory at some point. She was usually up and out of bed before him, anyway, when he didn't beat her out to feed his hounds.

It took him more than a moment to get his bearings, and then to understand what she was asking. He kept his eyes closed, one hand crawling out from under the covers to grope blindly for the corner of his pillow. He pulled it down under his chin, propping it up and finally opening one eye to look towards her.

"My darling, of course I'd like to. Though sneaking I suspect will be easier said than done. You've plans on this impromptu trip, do you?" He raised his brows curiously, before letting his eyes drop closed again. Five more minutes, he thought with a soft groan, but ultimately ended up pushing himself up to sit on the side and rub his stubble-clad face.

"We've some things on the schedule for today, don't we?"

It took him a moment to get oriented, but nevertheless he was careful not to accidentally hit her with his knee or feet on the way into his sitting position, toes then gingerly trailing across her knee if she was still where she was. Otherwise, he put an arm around her hips, and drew her in so that he could rest his head against her stomach.

Much better.

@Captain

PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Feb 1 2018, 03:26 PM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

383 Posts
1030 Marks

"Well," Baria rocked back on her heels then propped herself up on her elbows on the edge of the bed. "Now that you're coming along, yes. I'm thinking a picnic, maybe a relaxing ride. A swim, if we feel like it." She shrugged. "The world is ours for the taking!"

She let him hold her as she went down their list of obligations for the day. It wasn't anything too demanding, though one minor conflict that needed solving. "Nothing until after noon," she assured him. "I'm supposed to see a weaver about a new dress, but that's unimportant and they'll wind up chasing me around anyway. Standing still long enough to be fitted is so dull." She sighed as though she hadn't invited them here herself to make the dress. But, in the end, they'd have to put up with her one way or another.

She paused in her rant, looking down at him and running a hand hesitantly through his hair. She worried too much and she knew that. He rattled her usually invincible confidence. She simply did not know what to do around him. So instinct usually won, which resulted in the gentle, shy touches and the occasionally annoying pestering that brought about things like the spontaneous ride today.

"I'll let you get your klah if you agree to bring me some while I get the runners ready," she promised, well aware that someone else would have gotten them ready for her if she'd asked. But she wouldn't, and had no problem doing it herself. "I've already got everything else set aside in the kitchens," because she was sneaky, "just need you to grab it when you come out!"

And she pulled away from him, turning to hop on one foot while she pulled pants and boots on. "Meet you at the stables!"

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Feb 16 2018, 08:24 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4028 Posts
15 Marks

Basasius had begun to get used to the fact his wife was seemingly apprehensive about allowing him to actually sleep with her. Granted, he couldn't really care one way or another; he was as busy as she was, and often times the annoyance only really hit him when he'd been hard-pressed by other people about children.

He couldn't ultimately fault them, after all. Holders were centered around three things - work, politics, and family, so it was only natural for people who were otherwise absolutely, abysmally disinteresting to have only the 'so when are you knocking your wife up' fall-back question.

Some part of him wanted to wait until they couldn't anymore. Until menopause hit her, until they hit the same situation the former Lord and Lady of Crescent had run into. A fairly sized portion of it, honestly, but at the same time, both he and Baria were driven to want to leave the legacy of their namesakes behind, and in that, ensure that another Hold wasn't left without a ruling family simply because another offspring hadn't been bred well enough to continue the line.

He knew in time that she would either beget an heir, or he'd find another who would on her behalf. Either way, she was destined to be his wife for the remainder of her lifetime, much as he was to be her husband for the rest of his. They could and would overcome any barriers or obstacles placed in their way, because he hadn't taken this position simply to run an entire Hold into the ground.

Political suicide wouldn't be committed on his behalf in such a fashion.

"Picnic is a lovely idea," he murmured, rubbing his face against her belly with a sense of trying to rouse himself to full coherency, "I do believe I could keep you still enough for them to manage, after all we have to look presentable on business, don't we? I should see about some new tunics, too. Maybe a good hide vest of some sort. Something supple, to go with my boots."

He peered up at her, light eyes contrasting sharply even with the sleep still confined to them, before she had pulled away from him and evaded his touch. A low growl died out in his throat, before he pulled himself up to his feet and moved to wash his face.

"I'll make sure to grab both on my way out. Be careful, my darling. Jakol!" The icehowler trotted in from the corridor, wagging his tail as soon as he spotted Baria, and bumping her backside with his snout on the way past her to settle in beside his Master's thigh and hip. The pet of all his beasts was afforded a scratch around the ears, before he set about dressing himself and shaving down the stubble that canvassed the lower half of his face. Never completely off if he could help it, but never a beard, either.

Pulling on a simple set of slacks, knee-high riding boots, and a long-sleeved, button-up shirt whose sleeves were promptly rolled up, he shoved a pair of his riding gloves in his back pocket, whistling through his teeth for Jakol as he detoured through the kitchens for their klah and the picnic basket. Wandering pointedly outside, he found his wife by the runners, two of them saddled and waiting.

Affixing the rucksack with their meal in it to the saddlebags, Jakol and Leesus, one of Bas's prized male hunting hounds, were close in tow. Happy to have one of his friends to play with, the Icehowler romped about with the long-legged, sleek beast Basasius' family had been raising for generations, both seemingly pleased. Bas never let the females out with Jakol unless they were already pregnant, or he knew they weren't in heat - the time and amount of money wasted raising half-bred Icehowler pups wasn't something he wanted, and Jakol was a creature like most other non-human ones - he'd breed with anything if instinct arose for it.

Basasius wouldn't be able to get top Marks for half-bloods, and as such, didn't choose to tempt fate putting his beloved companion pet into the reach of his business ones. Though naturally, his pack of hounds were as close to his heart as Jakol was.

Sliding a hand gently to the small of his wife's back, as he often did when close to her, he presented a gloved hand for her to step into, so that he could lift her lightly to the back of the runner she'd chosen. He had his own, and only when his wife was settled in, did he look to mount his.

"This is your orchestration, my love," he smiled broadly, shifting the beast beneath him. "Ladies first."

@Captain

PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Mar 1 2018, 02:39 AM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

383 Posts
1030 Marks

Baria took her time getting the runners ready and talking to them and saddling them up. She knew how to do it and when the man in charge of the runners woke up and saw her, she brushed off his concern and sent him to get breakfast. He stayed and helped regardless, earning himself a mock reprimand and an affectionate smile. Baria requested his name, apologizing for not remembering despite the fact that they had only met once in the past.

She smiled when Basasius arrived, nodding politely. "My Lord," she greeted with a smirk. She pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, and accepted his hand up, swinging her leg over the grey gelding she'd become fond of - Probably because he had attitude to match her own. "You say that like I have a plan," she chided, urging the runner into motion. "I hadn't one beyond annoying you into joining me." It wasn't entirely true. Baria rarely did anything with some inkling of a plan. And she knew exactly what she wanted to do.

"To the shore, I think." The ocean was a fascination of her's, not that she'd readily admit it. She'd grown up land-locked in Nabol, and being so close to the ocean wasn't something she was used to. Even the scent was different and interesting and lured her in like a flyby to fruit.

She wanted to explore it, wanted to stare at it. And she hadn't had the chance to, with everything else going on. So, already playing hookie from the day's events for the time being, she might as well indulge in her fantasy of seeing the ocean from it's level and not on dragonback.

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 07:51 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4028 Posts
15 Marks

Basasius arrived as promptly as he could, easily greeting the stableman holding their mounts steady. He helped his wife up, and then swung aboard with scarcely a hesitation, the rucksack tied atop the saddlebags to keep it in place and the contents well-packed to prevent them spilling or breaking from the horse's gait.

"I should say you're lying to me, my darling," he remarked with a sharp smile, clicking quietly to the stud he regularly tracked with. He had another gelding in the stables, a pair of mares on their way over from his home hold to be bred with the stallion he currently sat astride. They'd have foals next turn, give or take, depending on when the two got there and were caught. He wasn't terribly concerned.

"You very seldom do anything without thought, for all the lack of time I've known you."

He laughed outright, digging his heels lightly into the stallion's girth.

"Then we go to the shore! You should have told me sooner, I would have taken you. We'll have to go to Paradise sometime, so that I might introduce my family to my wonderful spouse and show you the rainforests around the Hold. All the wonderful fruits, the sand, the clear water. It's quite the place to grow up, I must admit."

Not that there was anything wrong with Western, he rather enjoyed the place. The benefits outweighed the negative parts, and he was more concerned about being able to weather the winters more than anything else. He was loathe to deal with the cold.

He'd heard about the Storm of All Passes, after all.

"Perhaps we could even get a bit of a swim in, the water should be nice, I'd think. We'll see. If you wish, of course."

@Captain

PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Apr 9 2018, 11:29 PM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

383 Posts
1030 Marks

"Would I lie to you?" Baria asked with feigned innocence, doing her best to look as though she weren't planning to dunk him or put sand down his pants or any number of things. Tormenting Basasius was going to become a new hobby. Once she got him used to the idea, of course. Baria had warmed up to her husband faster than she'd expected. It was the mutual adoration of animals and the respect they paid one another, but Baria didn't think that far into it. She just knew that she liked him. Which she hadn't expected at all.

"I'd like to see Paradise. Maybe we can catch a ride with a dragon at some point. Once we're more established." Of course. Baria would put the Hold first and foremost. And, of course, if she fell pregnant, it would be postponing the entire thing all the more. But that was a worry for the future. Now, she intended to get to know the man she'd wed and enjoy a day of free time with him. "It sounds wonderful. Nabol was rocks and mines. This is wildly different."

She took off at a gallop, tearing out of the hold with a laugh. Her hair streamed behind her, and she turned in the saddle to look back at Basasius, grinning like a child before allowing the runner to slow and take his own pace. "The stablemaster said it was a straight shot, we should be able to make it in good time!" She called as he approached, still looking more amused than she had any right to be.

"About time you caught up," she teased, leaning over in the saddle to grab his and stretch for a kiss. Physical affection, she had decided, would be the first step. She was attracted to him, she might as well show it.

"Wouldn't the water be cold?" She asked, brow wrinkling as she tried to think on everything she knew about the ocean. Which wasn't much.

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 20 2018, 12:13 AM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4028 Posts
15 Marks

"I'd certainly hope not, I'm your husband," he snickered, nudging his runner to follow her. "Lies, no, but surprises are another thing entirely, I think."

He'd been pleasantly surprised, truth be told. She was pretty, well-mannered, and took no shells from anyone about anything. All without bringing him any degree of disrespect, but in the same measure he understood that both of them were currently under a very critical eye. A Hold's success depended as much on leadership and the environment as anything else, and truth be told, they hadn't very many trials come upon them as of yet.

He was slightly concerned by the premise of something happening to her, and his having to become espoused to someone else he didn't get along with as well, much as the potential was there for that to come along for Lord Callum.

It had been a rather ridiculous stroke of bad luck for the other man, and he worried immensely about what might happen if the woman to espouse him didn't wish to work with Western or its denizens. But that was a bridge to cross when they got to it, he believed. Even still, there was that concern to be two or three steps ahead of everyone else when it came to his people.

And make no mistake, these were his people. He was responsible for them, he needed to look after them, and when it came to politics, he always put his Hold before anything else. Even today's scheduled activities had been merely postponed, not disbanded. He and Baria would still have things to look after, today's ordeals were simply lighter than the other days had been.

It wouldn't, after all, be the first time he'd come to bed after his wife had already slept, or likewise that he'd woken to her climbing in beside him at some unholy candlemark after the sun had already set.

"I hear that's what Crescent is, mostly," he spoke up once he'd caught up to her and their mounts had slowed. "Rocks and mines, though the personalities make it substantially warmer. Either way, I would like to introduce you to my family at some point, but the need is outweighed by duties here, of course."

Of all the things he was expecting, her to kiss him wasn't one of them. He hadn't kissed her outside of public displays of necessary affection since they'd espoused; he honestly didn't expect that she'd share the same bed as he would, but she continued to surprise him. Basasius hesitated a moment, before his mouth found hers and a hand laced up to cradle her face momentarily.

It never lasted long, he was sure to make sure it didn't. No exceptionally scandalous displays, nothing that would be anything but respectful to her and her wiles. He didn't even sleep with his trousers off in the same bed, in order to keep from offending her or doing something he might not otherwise do. He'd not even been nude completely around her yet; always underclothes, or fully clothed, or some semblance of the two.

It wasn't that important to him. She was, and she vastly outranked any potential for children. In truth, he didn't feel entirely ready for them. It was easy to focus on work, to settle for being a Lord Holder, not a father. It would come, he knew, with time. Far more important for the moment to involve himself with his wife, and convince her that her agreement to espouse him hadn't been a blind stroke of poor choosing. He was as worthy of her time and efforts as he was of the ruling council's. As anyone's.

"It depends. The straight could perhaps channel the warmer waters, but we've the riptides to worry about. There are dolphins out there so we're perfectly safe, I think, it's just a matter of finding a lagoon that's left for the sun. Not hard, I'd suspect. Only takes a bit of looking."

@Captain

PM
^
Captain
 Posted: May 10 2018, 02:11 PM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

383 Posts
1030 Marks

"Crescent would have been closer to home. But I suppose Western is closer to yours, isn't it?" She waved a hand vaguely at the trees that had frightened her for the first several sevendays. They were so unfamiliar and foreign and she'd been taught her whole life that trees wouldn't survive Threadfall. And there were so many here!

She'd finally marched into the forest one day and spent several candlemarks among the men felling them and planting new ones and left with a new appreciation for the growth that still seemed alien to her.

If Baria worried about the things Basasius did, she didn't let on about it. Childbirth was part of life and she would meet it with the same determination she met everything with. She would survive and their child would be healthy and whole. Period. She could not directly influence it, so she didn't try to dwell on it. Besides, the Hold hadn't had a Lord or Lady in so long that the pair hadn't had time to eat many dinners together, much less consummate their marriage. Which was why Baria was making time.

If she was to spend the rest of her life with this man, she was going to get to know him.

"Then we'll explore!" Baria announced with the same vigor and excitement she had when announcing that she would be spending the day helping in the kitchens or balancing the books.

She settled in for the ride, though she kept rising up in the saddle to peer ahead. Her excitement was almost childlike in the pure wonder of it. "Do you think it might be advantageous to expand this direction? Perhaps give the dolphineers a place to rest or at least encourage some fishing out this way. I'll have to talk to the Masterfisher and see what he thinks..." There had to be some reason it was where it was, but Baria never settled for 'because' when improvements could be made.

"Thank you for coming with me," she offered as they neared, smiling in his direction. "We need some time that is just us."

@RhiaBlack

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil