April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

The Happening, SU:14 {Tunnelsnakes!} Read Info First!
Ruin
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 02:30 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3414 Posts
10 Marks
Member Inventory: View

The Info:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Hey guys!

So tunnelsnake "hatchings" are a lot different than normal hatchings. First of all, these little grubs have already hatched and second of all, impression involves your character's hand in a box. Much like whers; if the tunnelsnake bleeds the character it's a successful bonding! If it tries to maim and murder, not so much. Of course it could try to main and murder, get a good taste, then decide to stick around, so the path isn't always clear.

There are two pairs of fertile tunnelsnakes up for grabs in this hatching. Impressing them means you are going to be available to host tunnelsnake hatchings yourself in the future, and all that it entails, including art! Please let me know in an OOC note if you want to be considered for a fertile pair if you aren't up for the hatchings, don't worry, there are single snakes available!

Your characters will be coming alone to stick his or her hand in a box of snakes, the only other person present will be Sebol, and then Sebol's menagerie + Sesk. So this isn't really social. Your characters will have been vetted ahead of time, so they will know why they are there, and what they are getting themselves into. For the sake of speed, please have your character place their hand in the box in your first post with them. This way I can respond to everyone all at once.

This thread will be open for a few days collecting responses because this is going to be a lottery. All snakes will be randomly drawn, here is how it will work:

Those signed up for a fertile pair will be rolled for the fertile pair.
Those signed up for sterile snakes will be rolled for their snake.
If there are left-over snakes and left-over hopefuls, another roll will take place until all snakes are claimed.
THEN
All winners will be randomized into a numbered list so that they may choose their snake art in turn:
NOTE: Due to the differences between sterile and fertile females, the art for those is already set, so the fertile winner who chooses their snake art first will be able to choose one of two females, and then any out of the remaining males. The second winner will receive the remaining female and their choice of male.

I am doing this so that people have the opportunity to choose the colour they prefer out of the list, and make it a bit more fun.

Final Note You may put in as many characters are you like, but each MEMBER may only win once (whether that is one snake, or a fertile pair). If your character happens to lose the lottery, they will be delicately mauled, but if you want anyone to lose a finger, PM me!

First Rolls: Thu June 9th Noon PST: If you would like an opportunity to win a snake, please have your characters in on or before this date!

He was waiting with the boxes. There were six in total, but they all made different sounds as the beasts inside them thrashed and hissed at their confinement. Two of them held mated pairs, he'd done the mating himself; they would not bloodbond an already claimed human. His own snakes were locked away in their own box, lest they escape and devour their own children. He had sent out the call in the ways that Beastcrafters did, word of mouth; interested party to interested party. He'd told them to come clean, without adornments, and prepare to be mauled--whichever way it went. There could have been more boxes, but encouraging the beasts to mate had cost the lives of half the clutch. They were fickle monsters.

Still, two pairs meant that maybe he could shoulder some of the work off on someone else. And keep outside of the stone walls. Keep himself busy. He could still smell her lingering in the stone of their shared weyr. He would abandon it soon. But, for now, there was still work to do. He knew which ones were interested in keeping the fertile snakes. "Make no mistake," he told each one that stood before him, before he placed their hand in the box. "These creatures will kill everything if you don't learn how to manage them. Firelizards. Felines. Babies in the creche if the ferrets don't find them in time."

He showed them Galibra, explained to them how their snake would feel. "These are no dragon or wher. They are not smart, they are predatory. You must think and feel like them to anticipate and understand. Galibra dove into the eye socket of a wher once, through bone and into brain, scratching and gnawing. When she becomes agitated I find that part of her in my head, and roll her into a mental ball. It takes work, however it is rewarding. They love to cannibalize their own, so once you manage to keep them from eating your own pets, your living quarters will be pest free." Looking on the positive side.

When they were ready, he opened the box just enough to let them slide their hand in, and with an encouraging smile, closed it tight around their arm so the beasts couldn't escape instead.

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
0 Marks

((Whichever will get along with Asp (Sterile male). If a mated pair wouldn't eat him, I'm okay for fertile ones - otherwise, just another sterile of any gender is fine! biggrin.gif))

Isis had been overjoyed; Asp had been hers for long enough that she had long since gotten used to the serpentine creature, and Raquith enjoyed his company. Her sterile male needed a companion; she was looking for another sterile one to go with him, male or female, it didn't matter. Either way, she was intrigued.

Asp lingered against her neck, curled up and peering from behind the lengths of long dark hair, loosely curling around her shoulders, back, and face. Sharp eyes took in Sebol, his menagerie of bonded pets, and lastly, Sesk. The Green interested her. Had she not been claimed by Raquith, Isis would probably have stood for Whers.

"They are...quite primal in form, aren't they," she offered in rebuke, "I watch Asp for candlemarks, with my Red." She looked him over curiously, her arms devoid of either sleeves nor jewelry. No rings lingered on her hands, no trinkets or bracelets. Her wrap dress was adjusted, Asp peering curiously out towards the myriad of boxes, but not moving a muscle from His' shoulder. He curled his tail a bit more against His' throat, forelegs grasping onto the fabric over her shoulder before beady eyes peered from the boxes, and turned to Sebol. His tongue tasted the air.

"How are you, Sebol," she inquired softly, a bit more than normal, and without the bite of her malice-laced tongue behind it that it normally carried. She, as so many others, had heard about his weyrmate's death. It saddened her quite a bit. "I'm surprised you came back here. I'd suspect with everything that happened, you'd have left. I'm glad to see you haven't, we're already so short-handed with whers, it seems." Her other hand lightly squeezed his forearm, if he'd let her even touch him - a gesture meant to be comfort, and feather-light to not dwell, just in case it might make him uncomfortable.

She wasn't the least bit put-off, and slipped her hand into the box; Raquith's fears surged, and she quelled them without a second thought.

It's all right, my love. Don't be afraid.

PM
^
Ives
 Posted: Jun 7 2016, 12:59 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1436 Posts
1085 Marks

[[I'm open to a fertile pair or a sterile singleton. Se'ng would prefer a fertile pair but I don't want to seem super greedy and wanting to amass all the breeding things Dalibor has to offer. So toss me in whichever lottery, I'm not picky.]]

There was an easy going manner to his walk as he left the Weyrling barracks - with permission of course. A steaming young burgundy was left behind, not invited to join his bonded where he was headed.

Absolutely not.

I don't recall asking for your permission, m'lord. Se'ng couldn't help but grin at how stubborn and demanding his dragon was even after a full turn out of the shell. He'd improved some but would likely always be rather bossy. Not that the man minded it all that much, Freyotth was easy enough to deal with. Ah'm a Beastcrafter, you know.

You are a dragonrider. Freyotth resentfully reminded the man, as if it was something that required being reminded of. MY rider at that. I refuse to be seen with one of those... those things around me.

Well then ah'm glad it is not you that plans to impress one. His response was clearly not appreciated as he became keenly aware of the burgundy's quiet seething. There is a chance I won't even get one, keep yourself calm.

It was nothing new, in fact the bouts of his dragon refusing to speak to him seemed to be increasing in frequency. It was a right better than listening to Freyotth complain about everything so he didn't mind it much, still sometimes he wished his dragon could carry on a mature conversation without falling to bits like a spoiled brat. With a shrug he offered his best grin as he approached Sebolaren. They'd spoken before so he knew where he was to be and when, he'd washed up back in the barracks and both arms were free of sleeves or any extra bangles - not that he was prone to wearing any in the first place. Offering a respectful nod to the older handler he repeated the nod of greeting to the man's wher as well. Seeing the boxes he listened intently as he was spoken to before approaching them. As he moved his arm towards one of the six he waited until Sebolaren had opened it slightly before he slipped his arm inside with his hand flat and vulnerable.

You had better not come back missing any body parts or I will be forced to even out the other side. I will not have a lopsided rider. Despite his words Se'ng could feel Freyotth's nervousness and he offered back gently, Ah'll be fine, don't worry about me.

PM
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jun 8 2016, 12:02 PM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

((Frankie can be put in for a fertile pair; if she loses that then put her in for the sterile one. Thanks.))

So you are going through with this, FrankieMine? Scikath slyly asked her rider.

Of course, love. Why wouldn't I, in the end? We agreed a pet tunnelsnake would be an interesting addition to our lives, did we not? You aren't getting cold feet now, are you? she responded coolly, with some affection for her partner of over a decade now.

Just wanted to make sure you weren't, Mine. We could have sooooooo much fun with one, couldn't we? Especially with some of your would-be lovers, the ones who think you should just swoon over them just for looking at you. Really now, some of those guys needed a lesson for thinking that of Hers. A 'snake would help with weeding those folks out, they were sure.

Frankie gave a small smile as she approached Sebol's weyr. She had lucked out with the dragon who'd chosen her; not many would put up with her more...natural ways of viewing things, was one way to put it. Scikath was much like her in outlook, even if she'd originally wanted a ranker as her bonded. No matter, she would still get some power in the Weyr soon, now that she and her Cyan made up their minds about certain things.

Once inside the weyr, Frankie held her hand out to Sebol. "How are you today?" she asked calmly, politely. "I am sorry about what happened to Deliah and Agnith." She couldn't immediately recall if she had said anything to her old classmate's husband at the time of the Pinkpair's death, so she said it now, even though she never had been close to the woman (or to any of her old classmates, really). Just in case. "Are you doing okay?"

Frankie put her hand in the box indicated by the 'snake breeder, not afraid of getting yet another set of scars on her. They'd just match the ones from an old canine attack in her youth.

Scikath laughed in her head, just amused in general. Bring back a good one, FrankieMine. Or two, if they're a mated pair.

PMEmail
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jun 8 2016, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

((Roll me for singles, please! =D Trying for a boy.))

Dalibor may have its faults, in the rest of the world’s eyes, but one thing had to be said for it: it certainly had the most strange and interesting assortment of creatures available for so-called ‘pets’ of anywhere Skalla had been. Of course, to the weyr’s detractors, that was probably another fault, not a highlight.

But not to Skalla. Upon catching the rumors that one of Dalibor’s less widespread species, the tunnelsnakes, were to be offered up for the bonding—as much as such snakes could be said to bond—the tanrider had sought out the former candidatemaster, and now, on the determined bonding day, had made her way to his weyr to join the other interested parties. Nearly as interesting as the creatures themselves was seeing who else showed up with a thirst for the hissing, murderous, beautiful monsters. A redrider, from her wing—well didn’t that have a certain logic to it, that one who shared their soul with such a famously dangerous beast would have an interest in others. Reds and tunnelsnakes, like redfruit and cream. If both the redfruit and the cream had a taste for scratchy, chompy murder if not controlled properly.

Some contrast with Skalla, who was bonded to (in her unwavering, affectionate opinion) the sweetest creature on all of Pern. In their pair, it was Skalla who was the snake.

And the other young man…was that a weyrling? How naughty, leaving one’s young dragon in search of a less tame companion. How curious. She had an itching inclination to talk to him, to poke through his motivation, but alas, they were all here for business today, weren’t they? It would have to wait.

“Sebol,” she said warmly as she swept into the room. As though the two were not little more than strangers. She was an attentive lecture-listener, but was not repelled by the warnings—they only drew a brighter glitter of curiosity in her light brown eyes. “What a delightful image. Well, good to know what we’re in for!” Cheerily, she moved toward one of the boxes indicated for them, slipping her hand as confidently into the snake-den as if she were simply extending it for a handshake. A toothy handshake indeed.
^
Raining
 Posted: Jun 8 2016, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

(Rollin' for singles)

Kel knew whers were a little more... aggressive than dragons could be. Sometimes. Never has she felt anything bond to her, nor had the opportunity to see if she could handle anything primal. When this, tunnelsnake offer came up she was immediately curious, and a little apprehensive -- yet she couldn't deny that the curiosity also bred excitement especially with the slight danger involved.

The older candidate knew the risks, knew that she would probably walk out of that room with bandages, leaving with potential scars or worse yet... without a finger. As long as it didn't effect her Blacksmithing work, she'd be okay. She could work without a finger, just not if there were any sliced tendons.

To risk or not to risk...

She mulled it over and then gave the go ahead. Kel would try for one of the little snakes and see where that would take her. If she walked away with nothing, well better luck next time. The girl strode into the room, and smiled warmly at Sebol, "hello," she greeted with equal warmth, warm honey eyes glancing to the boxes. Of course she listened carefully, her gaze leaving the assortment of containers to the Handler's face. "Mmm they sound... interesting. If I can handle something as predatory as a tunnelsnake, I would assume I would be in the clear for what the wher hatchings have to offer, yes?" she asked. Maybe not to the mental extent, but control was key, and she wished to learn mental control.

Kelah stepped forward once the box was offered and took her clean-unadorned-non-dominant hand and slipped it inside. She sucked in a breath, and released it slowly. Kel was calm, yet of course there was a certain anticipation for pain... but she couldn't help that.

^
Rii
 Posted: Jun 9 2016, 09:30 AM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2484 Posts
4422 Marks

((Single snekkum draw for me plz))

Having been rendered lasting lame by Threadscore during Doomfall (and he still thought that was a ridiculous name for the freakishly heavy threadfall last turn), H’ler figured getting a hand scratched, bitten, or otherwise mauled by a tunnelsnake was a fair step down in severity. In other words, he could handle it. Not looking forward to it - he wasn’t a masochist - but with Eko behaving as well as he ever had, the cyanrider was looking for a new challenge.

He listened impassively to Sebolaren’s description of how the bonding worked, what to expect. Tunnelsnakes were usually regarded as either pests or menaces, or both. Having a vicious beast as a pet didn’t bother him. After all, he had a canine-sized murdercat as a companion and liked it. And controlling a tunnelsnake’s impulses couldn’t be any worse than controlling his own explosive temper. He’d learned to do that.

…Mostly.

Letting everyone else take care of the sympathy and warm greetings, Ler waited until they were given the cue to go forth and see if any of the tiny grumpy lizard-creatures were interested in them. Checking his non-dominant hand over - he didn’t wear decorations like rings as a rule anyway, but there was no harm in making sure it was no more offensive than any other hand - he stuck it in one of the waiting boxes to see if he’d come out relatively intact.

PMAIM
^
BadgerStripes
 Posted: Jun 9 2016, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

[Rolling for a sterile snake]

It was worth the risk and the work to have a creature about that would ensure she would never have to worry about a pest related issue again. Jurai had dealt with a tunnelsnake infestation of her weyr once before and when she'd found one on Shallath's couch last night, she had decided to seek out a way to deal with the issue once and for all.

It had come down to either getting a tunnelcat or getting a tunnelsnake. She had not heard of any tunnelcats going up for sale but had heard about the clutch of tunnelsnakes. Like the others she had worked with Sebolaren to learn about the creatures and how to work with them and come here to try and impress a snake.

She wasn't quite sure if it was her wisest idea. Her dragon was freaked out at the risk, but Jurai had a feeling this might actually work out alright. So with Shallath being soothed by her as best as could be, Jurai reached for what she'd been told was a good mindset for this and stuck her hand in the box, hoping she wasn't about to get mauled for nothing.
^
Minute
 Posted: Jun 9 2016, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

OOC: Rolling for a fertile pair and singles.

Tunnelsnakes. They seemed like unusual creatures to keep as pets. Back on the caravan lots of people had complained about them, but he'd never heard anyone talk about keeping one. How could such vicious creatures make decent pets? Apparently, somehow, they did. Trader had been surprised to hear that tunnelsnakes were being handed out and, more importantly, incredibly curious. He had inquired about getting one of these apparently-not-pests because of that curiosity. Before he knew it, inquiring had turned into vetting and then into promising to show up for the handout.

Somewhere along the way, he found himself feeling an unexpected excitement at the prospect of obtaining one of the beasts. That excitement faltered somewhat when Sebol made his little speech. Those... yeah. Those sounded like the tunnelsnakes he knew. But it's not like I was expecting magical super-sweet 'snakes, he told himself. But they're still pets. It would be so cool to own one! Oh yes. He definitely wasn't in this for the glory, but the notion of getting one of these guys was just so fun.

The candidate offered Sebolaren a small nod. "I understand. If one of 'em likes me, I'll give it my best shot." As he approached the box, it belatedly occurred to him that 'I'll give it my best shot' was not the more encouraging thing to say. But it was the most honest. Trader hardly had enough confidence in himself to say that he'd try his best and definitely succeed. For all he knew, he might turn out to be a horrible tunnelsnake owner. No, 'give it my best shot' was the best term for this. Of course, it was silly to be thinking of the long term. First, he had to find out if any of these critters maybe didn't hate him. Sticking his hand in that box, he couldn't help but hope that none of them would reject him too violently.
^
Ruin
 Posted: Jun 9 2016, 03:26 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3414 Posts
10 Marks

Results: Note: All snakes are now claimed!

Isis
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Sebolaren nodded, what passed for conversational agreement for him, but did not speak until she directly addressed him. "I still breathe." It was a simple answer, but his stormy eyes clouded and spoke volumes about words left unsaid. It didn't really matter. He was here, and until she'd said it, he hadn't even realized how little he did want to be here after all. Yet, there was work to be done. First the snakes, then the belongings. To find a place for his children to stay, and then to find a quiet cave somewhere on the island to...sleep away the rest of his life. Or something like that.

He sealed up her wrist and waited, watching her intently while Sesk leaned in to listen for the noises inside the box. Everything was still at first. She'd feel their tongues, he knew--he remembered. A mated pair was different than a single angry female or male. They would come at her from both sides, sizing her up. They would taste the flow of blood beating beneath frail human flesh and follow the lines of veins to try and get a measure of how large the beast offered to them really was. In reality, no one knew what they wanted. What they tasted that seemed right.

They knew of Asp immediately, from what? Who could say. It was, apparently, something they were willing to accept. There was very little fuss with this pair, but then things were always more certain when there were two minds analyzing. The female was larger, she wrapped Isis' wrist tightly, almost like a tourniquet, and then she sank her fangs in deep through the thick pad beneath the Dragonrider's thumb. The male waited until his domineering female was quite caught in muscle and flesh and then found his own hold in the sensitive webbing between the woman's pinkie and fourth finger.

Sebol gave a brief smile, it was good to see his hard work pay off. He wouldn't be useful for much longer. Carefully he flipped the small lid back open to free her wrist. "Like Asp, they'll drink, and then they'll come find a home on you. Congratulations." He didn't exactly say, then you can leave, but he implied it as he turned to ensure the other boxes were bolted securely against the threat of a newly matched pair.

user posted imageuser posted image

Se'ng
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

This one didn't want to chat. Good. Sebolaren waited patiently while the Weyrling placed his hand in the box, closed up the lid, and listened. This pair was only slightly different from the one that had chosen ahead of them. They were all angry beasts, calculating and cold, but this pair just seemed to be slightly less predatory. Of course that could change with age, or with treatment. The two within the box got down to work coiling themselves around Se'ng's wrist and between his fingers. Their thickness seemed to squeeze through as ribs pushed and pulled so even if they didn't quite fit without splaying his digits wide, they still managed to curve and coil.

It took a long time for them to decide. Close to a candlemark. By the time they both--Weyrling and Weyrfolk--were given the answer Sebolaren had already gone to sit on Agnith's old dragon couch, asking Se'ng to forgive him for his old weary bones. He had only just considered that maybe this pair wouldn't show their displeasure through mauling, when the male made the first bite. Maybe he'd grown tired of indecisiveness as well, or maybe he liked to call the shots between the two of them. "More likely, she's made a minion out of him," the Handler remarked to the Weyrling--as if he'd been privy to the previous thoughts.

The female was quick to follow, sharp fangs sinking deep as they both drank a slow trickle of their new man's blood. Sebol walked over to flip the lid up. "They'll find some nook on you to coil when they are done, that'll be their spot. Probably until the day they die. Congratulations Weyrling." Another pair well matched. Another step closer to being done.

user posted image
user posted image

Frankie
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

"Thank you," he accepted the apology, though the woman had nothing to do with what had happened. Weyrfolk liked to be sorry. They liked to commiserate. Dragonriders were really the only ones who knew how he could feel, but it still didn't take the pain away. The woman got down to business quickly enough, however, and he settled into the rhythm of waiting. They didn't have to wait for long. The pair in the box immediately began striking at her hand with an aggression reserved for murder, not for bonding. The Handler motioned for her to remove her hand, though he was sure she was already in the process of doing so herself, before he quickly snapped the lid shut before the lunging female could make it out to continue her assault.

"Next," he said calmly, opening another nearby box. "Plenty to try," came the optimistic murmur. There was no reason to find the events unfortunate. Beasts will choose what beasts will choose. And there would always be more snakes. That seemed like what Frankie would be forced to wait for, as box after box yielded similar results to the first. Another set of mated tunnelers, and then sterile females and single males. Nothing. Not one interested party in the bunch. "This happens," he stated ruefully. "When another bonding happens, you will be called. Never fear."

Skalla
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Skalla was a surprising breath of fresh air. For all that she may have acted like they were acquainted, they were not, and she showed little care to remedy that. His history, long and cataclysmic as it may be, was an unknown to her. A non-issue. The Greenhandler relaxed immediately and gave a returning smile, though it may have faltered in one direction or the other it was an attempt. As she had requested only a single pairing, he pulled her aside to the boxes there. He closed her hand in the first and waited.

They both realized at the same time that it needed to be removed before it came out missing pieces. "Not that one," he quipped breezily, guiding her to the next box. This one went much the same, though less violently. The snake whipped at her fingers with its split tailforks and hissed menacingly. Sebolaren shrugged and lead her on. The third time, it seemed, was not the charm for the Dragonrider. They waited a candlemark...and nothing. Not a hiss, a tongue-flick, or so much as a nip. In fact, the only reason Sebolaren had her remove her hand was to make sure the beast hadn't tried to eat itself and died. But it was quite alive. It peered up at them both, coiled around itself, and went to sleep.

That left one. He motioned her hand inside, and didn't even have a chance to close it before the snake attacked. Yet this was not like the others. The beast sank its fangs deeply into her wrist and coiled tightly around her fingers. There was no creature better at possessiveness than a tunnelsnake. "Congratulations, Tanrider," Sebol said, leaving the box open and leaving the pair to each other.

user posted image

Kelah
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Sebolaren eyed Kelah sternly, and then his face relaxed and he smiled. It may have been a little broken, and no little sorrowful, but it was quite probably the most honest smile of the day. "I think you'll be able to handle anything, snake or no, but this is a good introduction." As the girl placed her hand in the box, Sebol noted that it was the odd beastie who hadn't much moved for the others. Who he'd thought was dead. He'd give it enough time but...the sound that broke his concentration was like the crack of a whip. He wasn't even certain if the snake had hit the box, or the girl to make the noise, but it didn't much matter. The creature had come alive at her presence, and that was indication enough for him that something was happening. Even if, maybe, the creature had broken a finger, or even a few of its own ribs.

That noise, and then nothing, or very little. Sesk's head tilted to hear, and her eyes whirled appreciatively of what was happening on the inside. The seemingly lazy beast had found its bond after all. Was now throttling her wrist with its body and turning her hand red and purple as it latched on to the sensitive webbing between her thumb and finger. It was an angry creature. Predatory, not evil. Its passion burned into her mind like a cold dark flame that she would recognize as being able to melt the strongest metals. This tunnelsnake would lay in wait for eons, but strike ruthlessly when required. It would take a firm hand to tame it, an even firmer hand to control it.

"Congratulations are in order," he said softly, though he knew this one would be a handful like Galibra had been.

user posted image

H'ler
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

This Dragonrider was quiet, unassuming. Didn't bother him about anything that wasn't his business. Sebolaren appreciated that. They were here for tunnelsnakes. Not to pry. As far as the Greenhandler was concerned, the Cyanrider could stay as long as needed until he found a match. The boxes were alighed and Sebol motioned his hand into the first one before securing it. The beast inside took offense almost immediately, nipping just enough to get the offending hand gone. Painful, to be sure, but not damaging. That snake had a head on its...tube?

Shrugging off the immediately disappointment, Sebolaren guided the man to another chance, and waited. Nothing. Well, not at first. Then there were flicks of a tongue. Delicate. From all sides without warning. It could almost feel leathery, and moist, but the moisture was so little that it seemed to evaporate immediately. First on the palm, then the top of the hand. Then each fingertip in turn. Finally into the webbing until at last a smooth snout pressed into the pad of his thumb, and kept pressing. And pressing.

Pressing until the 'snake's face was pressed open and sharp jagged teeth were exposed and nuzzled so slowly into flesh. Then tried to tear and rend, and rend and tear. "Not this time," Sebolaren noted, motioning for H'ler to save his hand before the beast had its way with him. Even as the Dragonrider extricated himself from the box, the tunnelsnake was trying to bite off chunks of his flesh--hopefully failing to do so. The other boxes went the same, disappointing if not downright disastrous. There was nothing for H'ler here. "Next time," Sebolaren mused.

Jurai
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Right into the weyr and into the box. A woman of merit who knew what she wanted. Her hand was bitten immediately. Once, then twice, but Sebolaren place a hand on her shoulder before she could fully recoil from the box. "Sometimes, they're still a little new, this sounds different from an attack." Sesk rumbled in agreement. This tunnelsnake seemed overexcited, like it knew exactly what it wanted, but wasn't sure how to get it. It took a fifth and final bite for the beast to fully latch on and find a proper seat on the top of her hand, its teeth sinking neatly between the woman's tendons.

The beast drank, and joined with Jurai, the new consciousness melding into her own. Success. As sloppy as it may have been. Sebolaren opened the box to give the beast a route out along the woman's arm so it could roost when it was finished drinking. "This one is the youngest," he explained, "hatched last, and bonded last. It would not accept anyone else. Make no mistake, it is a killer, but will, quite honestly, be easier to train. Congratulations, Dragonrider."

user posted image

Trader
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Sebolaren appreciated the apprehension Trader faced; it was wise to look at the beasts as dangerous. Hopefully the young one wouldn't allow the animal to run him roughshod. It was such a small hand that went into the box, when compared to some of the others--especially to Sebol's own, but the Greenhandler ushered it in without complaint. He had never been one to stop a bond, not for himself, or for his small children. They did not have to wait long for the answer. There was only one other box in the room with them by now, but it would not be required. The snake was quick to claim its prize.

Trader would not even feel the tasting tongue before the teeth were in, almost through to the other side from the bottom; when the lid was opened in a moment by Sebolaren, the fangs could be seen causing bumps in the skin of his hand, where they were achingly close to popping through. The beast was hissing while it drank, eyes flashing as it coiled over and over itself until its head was tied into Trader's flesh by its own body. It did not seem likely to give up the taste so soon. "If it will not release on its own, you must make it," Sebolaren cautioned. "Take control while it is young and new to you, so it does not become a danger."

The Handler watched critically, but still offered his congratulations. "These are useful animals when handled well." Deadly, when not, he thought silently.

user posted image

All winners have been randomized into a list and will be PM'd in turn to choose their art!:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Isis - Rhia
Jurai - Badger
Kelah - Raining
Se'ng - Ivy
Trader - Minute
Skalla - Kestrel

Members have 24hr to select their snake art from the time of the PM then they get defaulted a snackum!

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil