Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

Hopeless Wanderer {Couineth's Fifth Flight}, Sp:17th {Flight}
Boo
 Posted: Apr 13 2017, 07:59 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

2963 Posts
1015 Marks
Member Inventory: View

After so many turns being mind melded to such a beast, it was not difficult to tell what Couineth was thinking and how she was feeling. In spite of all their progress, Couineth was prone to bouts of tantrums in the lead up to her Flight. Almost every time. Almost. This time, the gold had been tetchy since the arrival of the wher egg, complaining that even if she were to Rise no one would care because they were all sooooo obsessed with that egg. Rayna thought her eyes might permanently wind up in the back of her head from all the eye rolls. Particularly when, after a grumbling rant about the wher egg, Couineth clarified that she wasn't jealous and nor was she petty. Frequently, she would throw a tantrum, stop and then assure Rayna that she felt nothing for the egg and that she was clearly the best one here.

So, yes, Rayna knew Couineth was going to Rise that day despite the Gold dragon's insistence to the contrary.
I should wait. I should just wait and make them all wait because they obviously care more about the egg than my eggs. I could just not Rise. I could just wait here until my hide goes dull once more.
We all know you don't have that much self control my dear Rayna responded to her dragon with a smirk as she glanced over at the Gold, perched on her ledge with her wings tucked stubbornly to her side.
I mean, not that I care about the egg stealing my attention of course. I don't care about that at all.

The Gold huffed out heavily, peering at the bustling activity, some people headed to lunch before their afternoon duties. It was a perfect day for it too. Claws scratched at the ground on her ledge as Couineth pondered. Well, perhaps this was the perfect time to do it because then she would be stealing the attention from the egg. Oh but Couineth knew she wasn't that dragon anymore but something she couldn't help but think about it. She had long since stopped caring about eggs and other dragons taking attention from her and with the departure of Keth she was once again the largest dragon in the Weyr.

But she didn't care about that either.

No her duty was to the Weyr. That was Rayna's thoughts on the matter. They were weak. They had lost many in tragedy and transfers. Couineth wanted to Rise. She wanted to fly out there and even though on the surface she did it to gain the attention of the people... Well perhaps that was the only reason at this point. Couineth almost laughed to herself as she sprung from the ledge roaring a challenge and violently tackling a herdbeast.

The Gold knew she needed to blood it. It wouldn't do to be falling from the skies before she was ready. As soon as the last of the blood was drained, Couineth launched herself into the air once more and took off lightning fast. Well, as fast as she could anyway. Her pace slowed to one more easily maintained and she called once more.

Show me you're worthy to lead this Weyr.

For the moment, Rayna continued writing her records at her desk. Suitors may well come to her. SHe would not make a fool of herself, tripping on her dragon's lust to bed the nearest male.

user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 13 2017, 09:33 PM
Jr. Weyrleader

809 Posts
347 Marks

Teraath had been watching the queen with eager anticipation. He did not care about wher eggs, or new Holds, or visitors. Couineth had his complete and undivided attention. She was a dragon truly worthy of the attention of the whole Weyr, in his not so humble opinion. Her beautiful glowing hide was even more stricking than his own, and he took great pride in his appearance. Indeed, even as she dove to blood her meal, he stood on his ledge to stretch and display his great wings. Yes, he was handsome it was true, but today he would strive to prove he was more than just a pretty face.

Teraath dove from his ledge, using the momentum to tilt back up and soar into the sky. He eased himself into a easier glide to match her pace. Best not to overtax himself too early. No doubt his queen would want to test their strength and resolve.

Are there any more worthy than I? he asked her wryly. Perhaps it was a bit bold for one as young as he was, but he was certainly confident. He flicked his head with a cocky look, and pushing higher with a showy little flare of his wings. It will be my pleasure to show you!

Tor'n had felt his dragon's lust growing for a little while, so he was more or less prepared when it came on in full. Shaking his head with a little smile, he shoved his hands in his pockets and wandered down to Rayna's weyr. He didn't really intend anything towards her, but it seemed the polite thing to do. For all Teraath's bravado and boldness, his rider was comparatively calm and reasonable. He gave Rayna a smile and a little nod, then relaxed against a far wall to wait out the Flight. Someone had to keep things grounded while half their heads were in the clouds.

~

Xerocleth watched the queen blood her meal, his claws digging into the rock as he tensed. Once more this was a challenge worth all his strength and skill. He did not care for frivilous Flights of love and fancy. This was about proving who should lead above all others. And he, Xerocleth, believed it should be him. At the very least he would not let this chance to show his loyalty and dedication pass. Couineth deserved, no demanded, that all the best of them should chase her.

Arlya turned from her desk and crossed her arms with a little nod. She was not surprised that her dragon had again chosen to chase a queen. For him it was natural and she had accepted it. Besides, she could not deny some part of her would relish the idea of him succeeded yet again. For all the difficulties that last success had brought, she had never thought Xerocleth should not have won. He had proven he he was worthy that day. The big dragons were just going to have to try harder to best him, that was all.

For herself, Arlya did make her way to Rayna's Weyr, but only to stand by the door with her arms crossed. She was tense with Xerocleth's emotions, but offered the Weyrwoman a tight nod. She had her doubts that her presence here would be that welcome, but she wouldn't let that interfere with her dragon's decision to chase. At the very least, no one unwanted would get to the Weyrwoman without going through her first.

Xerocleth shot from his ledge after the glowing queen, a brilliant bolt of crimson acrossed the sky. Once he had reached height with Couineth and her other chasers, he leveled out. Small as he was, he would have to pace himself carefully so he did not tire before the end. For him, this was about strength and endurance, not being showy or flashy.

I am here, my queen, he crooned deeply. I shall prove my worth to you and to our Weyr.
PM
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Apr 14 2017, 02:20 AM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

G'len had been waiting for this Flight to happen for the last several weeks, if only to get Zeuth to stop worrying about his appearance so much. The demands for almost-daily baths and oilings were getting to him. As usual. There were a handful of female dragons the Bronze would act like that over; Couineth was clearly one of them.

As it was, Zeuth refused to let him out of their weyr that day as it was, demanding some patching oiling to get the spots that had dried out (at least in the dragon's mind, anyway) since his full oiling the day before. My Queen demands perfection from her suitors, my boy, the vain beast told G'len. And I will be perfectly clean for her consideration. She will Rise before the day is out.

Sure that's all she wants for her mates? the man asked wryly. You sure she doesn't want a male who knows how to lead others in Fall? That simply got a humph in reply; while the Bronzepair had served the Weyr well as Senior Weyrleader, they could still be passed over for another King on a whim, and they both knew it and accepted it overall. Because what other choice was there in such matters?

They had discussed the possibilities before, in the weeks leading up to this day; if worst came to worst they'd still have a place close by their friends in the leadership. Plan for all the possibilities they could see, and they'd be prepared for whatever actually happened, good, bad, or indifferent.

G'len had barely gotten himself cleaned up and fed a bit when Zeuth announced the Flight's beginning. Put that sandwich down, my boy, and go to Couineth's weyr, he ordered his bonded. Be ready.

Lke I'd leave my friend to face a bunch of lusty strange men alone, your Highness, G'len shot back while heading to Rayna's weyr, finishing off his sandwich as he went. Once at his friend's door he gave Arlya a nod of greeting before entering. It didn't surprise him that Xerocleth was trying for the Senior spot; the two were good Junior leaders once they figured out how to do their jobs. Convincing the Senior Queenpair that they were worthy of higher rank would be harder, though.

G'len gave a bow to Rayna as he settled for a spot close by his friend, seemingly ignoring the other riders present for a bit. "Ready for this?" He asked, though he already knew the answer. By now they were both used to dragonic lusts. He just had to wait a bit to see if he would be continue on as leader for the next few turns.

Zeuth, meanwhile, launched himself after Couineth once she left the beastpens. A beautiful day for a Flight, is it not? he addressed his friend. Me and Mine are willing to show you and Yours we will be better leaders than these others present today. As we have been for you and the Weyr proper in the past, we will remain so as you desire, the Bronze crooned to her. If needed, he could list their many accomplishments, to remind her of their cleverness and support. For the moment he seemed to ignore the other males present; his only thought was for his beautiful friend and what she wanted from him. He would prove his worth to her. Somehow. He was sure of it.
PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 14 2017, 08:32 AM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

Z'dyn had been reclusive since the departure of his former spouses and the children he'd had with them; he came out for Drills and Fall, and whatever duties required his attention, given he was now short - yet again - a Wingsecond. Arlya had been assisting him as much as possible, but admittedly the aging Ironrider's heart wasn't in anything else but work, these days. He attended his needs with Da'on, O'men, and Bozidar when those needs absolutely defiled his mindset; when he couldn't shun the want to be something other than alone anymore. Baihujinth had stopped chasing all but clutching females, and given how few of those had Risen lately, there seemed to be practically no drive for the equally-aging Iron to pursue.

The glow from Couineth's hide in the last several days had left him restless. Not because he wanted to chase, no, but because he knew Zeuth and G'len had been chosen the last two times in a row that his promised charge of a Gold had Rose. Baihujinth had no reason to believe now would be any different, and Z'dyn had made it clear that his desire for female company was non-existent. But they had a duty to the Weyr, and to P'ryt's memory, to do as they always did - ensure the protection of both Rayna, and Couineth.

Z'dyn had bathed, shaved, and washed his hair. He dressed as he usually did - simply. Slacks, his boots, a belt and loose white shirt, with a vest over it to make himself mostly presentable. Baihujinth said nothing; words were unnecessary, when one was there purely to make sure no would-be aggressors would harm his Queen. Crimson eyes waned some shades of purple, but largely retained their usual hue, as he dropped Z'dyn off at Rayna's ledge. He dropped back off the ledge in due order, a thunderous roar resonating from his chest as he picked up the pursuit behind the other suitors.

The Ironrider was joined on the ledge a moment later by a new face; that of Ev'ion, as the new-transfer of a Purplerider gleefully bowed to their resident Weyrwoman. His lavender drake shot skyward, Wyisselieth's call loud and strong.

What a lovely, lovely day for a Flight, Queen Couineth! Why, such a beautiful part of royalty such as yourself, you outshine the sun! May we all bask in the glory of our wonderful Matriarch, and may the Weyr be blessed with your many, many children! For Couineth! For Dalibor!

Oversize wings carried the Purple in pursuit, and he snapped good-naturedly at Baihujinth's tail - which earned the overzealous subking a hindkick to the face for his efforts.

I deserved that!

Ev'ion sighed, squeezing the bridge of his nose, but the smile was evident on the otherwise stalwart, strong-jawed man's lips. He bowed curtly.

"My lady," he greeted Rayna quietly, though there were no other words offered. Respect was due, regardless of one's sexuality, when involving oneself with Leadership. He regarded those present with a glance, but there was never a complete ignoring. Focus was easy on the woman in their midst, but underestimation of one's momentary-adversaries was never a wise decision.

It led to ruin, with time and lack of attention.

Clearly, you haphazard ruffians haven't the slightest idea how to treat a lady, came another voice, as a stocky-looking Burgundy joined the fray. Self-absorbed, self-proclaimed Kings, and of what? Your own selfish endeavors? And you, 'Sub'Kings, perhaps they call you that for a reason? You chaff should leave the real work to those of us who are far more experienced. A laughable notion, given Yon's relative age, but one couldn't fault him for trying. For a Queen whose hide shines like sunset on the ocean, whose beauty transcends space and time, whose mere presence humbles all but the most arrogant of beasts - such is proof, here and now - deserves far more suitors than this Weyr could ever provide her. Tryonilth has come, my Queen, to show you the valor capable of those whose hides do not shine with blessings of Faranth's metallurgy!

C'lainn was let down to the ledge, and he bashfully laced his fingers behind his back, giving Rayna a kind smile and a polite bow. He was still struggling to speak to women in a non-professional setting; it was something he still hadn't managed to muster, and seldom was anything potentially more personal than a Queenflight. Even still, he tried to be respectful to the other suitors present, acknowledging them each with a look and a silent nod.

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 14 2017, 02:52 PM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

'She rises.'

L'aars looked to the sky upon hearing Jaireth's mindvoice, low and lustful. This was a queenflight. The only time the iron was ever this interested in a female was around one of rank. He would chase anything female with wings, but would often do so lazily and playfully, unhurriedly making pursuit and bantering with the female as he flew. But queens were different. He knew what catching one of them meant for both of them. The recent transfer allowed himself to change course prepare to visit weyrwoman Rayna's weyr. He knew it was her queen rising, given how the gold's hide utterly glowed as of late.

They were hardly at Dalibor a sevenday before now, so it would not doubt be interesting to see if Couineth took to a new suitor.

The ironrider took a moment to tidy himself, though he didn't feel as if he could really do much to improve himself. He wasn't exactly a handsome man. But he made sure to change into a clean set of clothes before allowing Jaireth to take him to the ledge of Rayna's weyr. Afterwards, Jaireth shot higher into the sky. He was a powerfully built dragon, thick of neck and chest, with expansive wings to keep him aloft. And while other suitors took to the sky before him, he didn't hasten to catch up. A queenflight was about endurance, not agility. Something he had plenty of to spare. Of course, he was not idle in his journey. It wouldn't do to seem lazy and lose to a burgundy of all things! He considered the jubilant lavender only slightly more of a challenge. But the other iron and the bronze...they were his real competition in his opinion. Especially the bronze. Zeuth had her favor and he was a stranger to her. Well, he would just have to sway her fancy his way.

Pumping his wings to go just a little faster, he crooned gently towards the gold.

'Couineth with a hide grander than all the coveted treasures of this world, I am here. Jaireth cannot help but marvel at your beauty and the grace with which you fly. Let me prove my worth to you. Let me adore you.'

L'aars nearly swayed from the flightlust. Flights always left him lightheaded and foolish. He joined the other suitors in Rayna's weyr, offering a formal bow before settling against a wall. He hardly paid them any mind. Only a couple he recognized, one of them being G'len.

"Lady Rayna," he greeted in a low voice.

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 17 2017, 01:14 PM
Candidatemaster

229 Posts
783 Marks

It is time

The Viridian sat on his haunches, perching on the edge of his weyr, looking out at the sky where the glowing golden queen had launched herself at a hapless herdbeast. He had been sitting there for days, watching her, waiting. Her roar of challenge was music to his ears, and he was more than ready to spring after her. But he waited. His eyes would whirl as he would turn his large head towards the Weyr he shared with his rider.

A’til had been working on his leathers, conditioning and repairing them where thread had scored it. He was older now. Wiser. No longer wearing a mask as often as he used to. No longer as bitter as he once had been. Asperath had changed it all. He had known about his dragon’s lust for a day or two. The viridian always wished to chase the queens, but he often abstained for A’til’s sake. The man was not ready to lead. So he chased smaller dragons. Today though? A’til felt he was ready to try.

“Go ahead, she’s waiting for you, you know.”

That was all the encouragement he needed. The muscles of his powerful hind legs coiled like springs as he crouched, letting loose a roar of triumph, A’til pounced. He freefell to the ground, his broad wings snapping open at the last moment to catch him. This was what he loved. He loved the chase. He loved to prove to his queries that he was the best, and really, he knew he was.

My beautiful star, I am coming for you. He was a creature of few words, let others ply her with compliments. He did not need to rely on flattery alone to impress her.

Setting his work aside, A’til sighed. He didn’t know if Asperath was ready, nor he. But he wasn’t going to keep holding the viridian back. In a bit of a haze, he made his way through the tunnels to the Weyrwoman’s weyr. He would politely bow to her as he entered, his eyes flitting over the faces of the others gathered. Quite the collection. A lazy smile crossed over his lips. Let them gather. He knew Asperath was the best in the skies.

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Rii
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 08:08 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

2348 Posts
1197 Marks

Drop everything, T'yandon! It's time! Come on, leave the dusty old hides behind!

T'yandon pursed his lips and looked up from the hide sheets spread across his desk. Fall, fog, or fire, sweepride reports still had to be reviewed and consolidated into something more useful for their Weyrleadership to read. But he knew Ietermath intimately, as a pair of mindmates of their turns had to. The bronze could be impatient, he was active to a fault. But if he was this urgent, it meant competition was at hand - a flight, that was. And for him to be saying drop everything...

Couineth, I take it?

Yes, of course! Come on, I WON'T be trailing along behind!

Shaking his head a little, the bronzerider abandoned his work, stoppering the inkwell and scaling Ietermath's back for the quick hop across the Bowl. Deposited on the Weyrwoman's ledge, he looked up at his bonded. Good luck, then.

Of course!

T'yandon went into the weyr, bowing politely to Rayna. "Weyrwoman." He never did try to approach without invitation, and this was certainly no exception. There were some things you simply did not do. He glanced around at the other riders, offering them a grave nod. He had no real concerns with them; they were coworkers, not rivals. Ietermath was plenty competitive for both of them.

The bronze soared after Couineth, heavy wingsweeps lifting him higher and higher into the sky. You outshine the sun, as usual, Couineth, he told her. Let us go where there is no path and blaze a trail for the Weyr to follow!

PMAIM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 09:00 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

2963 Posts
1015 Marks

The rays of Rukbat beat down on Couineth as she flew, banking this way and that. It was not long before the males began to follow. Teraath the now grown bronze of her last clutch. Then the bold burgundy joined the fray. Whilst others might have chosen him, Couineth was not usually that way inclined. Oh but the Gold knew Rayna thought well of his Rider and as much as Couineth held her own views on the matter, she also considered the views of her rider. Simply because she was not likely to consider a contender, didn't mean Rayna would feel the same way. Perhaps a few turns ago Rayna's opinion hadn't mattered but it mattered now. A lot to Couineth.

Neither dragon received a response as she held her glide for a short while and then sharply rose again. The presence of Zeuth was noted with warmth. Perhaps it was respect that grew between them and Zeuth had been a strong leader those past few turns. Neither Rayna nor Couineth had complaints. In fact the fondness had grown over the turns. In their Weyr, Rayna stood at the arrival of G'len. His friendly words receiving a nod and a small smile.

Then she felt a swell of affection as she turned her head and watched Baihujinth deposit Z'dyn on the ledge. The Wingleader did not speak to her but Rayna watched as soon after he was joined by one of the newcomers to the Weyr. A haughty expression greeted him, reflecting Couineth's own feelings.

There will be no fighting I don't care how 'friendly' you think it is. Couineth sniffed to the purple. She wanted a nice, clean Flight and should any of these dragons even contemplate picking a fight with Baihujinth, she would tear them to shreds herself. Last time it had been marred by interceptors and others unwelcome to take control of leadership. That was not to happen again and although the purple had transferred and intended to remain, he and Jaireth had yet to prove themselves as Zeuth, Baihujinth, Tryonilth, Asperath and Ietermath. Rayna approved of course. Couineth didn't care for what they had done in other Weyrs. What had they done in her Weyr so far?

Unfortunately for Couineth, Rayna rather thought L'aars had a 'good work ethic' whatever that meant. This meant that the gold was not able to completely discount the iron. After all, Xerocleth had surprised them all.

Perhaps Tryonilth had a point. A lot of fighters were faster, tougher and knew the value of hard work better than many. Well, Couineth totally worked hard all the time.
Are you not only a few turns old? Couineth asked of the dragon slyly. Youth could be useful. Rayna thought it made people reckless.

Asperath joined the Flight. He had not, as far as Couineth noticed, chased any of the other Queens. It was admirable that he should control himself so well.

And Ietermath. A former Weyrleader who would know how to lead. They were not starved for choice, that much was certain. Each dragon that followed had merits of their own and reasons they would make a good match. Honeyed words were having only a partial effect on Couineth's thoughts.

The Queen pushed onwards. This choice used to be about something foolish, something shallow. It was now about what would be best for the Weyr. Who would lead them, who could lead them. Rayna knew this and Couineth felt it in her whole being. In the turns they had fought to keep this Weyr afloat, they had also become closer than ever.

There would be no interlopers. They would choose from the best in the Weyr. Couineth climbed higher.

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 10:12 AM
Jr. Weyrleader

809 Posts
347 Marks

Teraath ignored most of the other males. He just didn't consider them to be important. Some of them, like Zeuth and Baihujinth, would certainly provide excellent competition. Still others were strangers. Hard to say what skills they possessed, but the cocky bronze wasn't worried. He was confident in his own abilities and strength. He only needed to prove that to Couineth, even if he was young.

Tryonilth earned a scornful snort for his words though. Was talking all the little dragon could do? It would take more than talking to win Couineth's heart! This was no flirty green to be taken in by mere show. Teraath considered answering the insulting burgundy, maybe even showing him why he should keep his bit mouth shut. But that would take him away from the reason why he was here. He could not afford to be distracted.

His attention returned to Couineth, letting the winds take him higher in pursuit. He crooned encouragingly to her, giving his wings a little flare for show. He trusted she would make the right choice. After all, this was for more than just her love. This was for their future! Of course he thought himself an excellent choice, but it was not just for himself that he Chased. Tor'n would never admit he was as good a man as he was. Teraath was determined to prove to everyone there was more to his soft spoken rider than they thought.

~

The presence of the larger dragons did not bother Xerocleth. If anything, he would have felt insulted if they had not come to chase their queen. He regarded each briefly, but put most of his focus on conserving his strength for the long Flight ahead. For him, this was a race of endurance, not of show. He did not favor any of the others with words in reply to theirs either. He was not a dragon of words, but of actions. No doubt Couineth would see passed petty words and choose who would best lead Dalibor into this unknown future.

The new dragons, however, were regarded with suspicion. The loyal burgundy did not trust these strangers to do what was best for his home. Jaireth and Wyisselieth gained glares of suspicious from the grim fighter. The purple seemed too silly to be much threat, but both of them had better not try anything against his queen. If they did, they would find Xerocleth's claws in their way. That they were much larger than he was made no difference to him.

So far, however, everyone was on good behavior. He trusted Couineth to make the right choice. Even if it was not him.
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 05:19 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

Z'dyn had always been a little bit daft and ignorant when it came to affection or interest; it was perhaps better that way, given how bashful he'd always been about any public removal of his clothing, and the display of the marks given him by the wild Black what felt like an eternity ago. He caught Rayna's look towards the newer Wingsecond, and the Ironrider's own brows knit at the man's amusement.

It wasn't the first time another male had gone after his Iron during a flight. It wouldn't be the last, but there was no mistake that when Ev'ion met the Wingleader's gaze, Zeke's eyes were ice. The small smirk abruptly wiped itself off the new transfer's lips, and there was a curl of scarred lip and a brief flash of bone-white teeth as the bigger-built but slightly-shorter of the two made it painfully apparent what was promised if Wyisselieth went after his Iron again.

"My apologies, Wingleader. He gets a bit wound up during flights."

Silence answered him, but Z'dyn didn't need to say a word. Everything Ev'ion needed to know, lay in glacier-blue irises. The Purplerider ceded a slight nod, and Z'dyn closed his eyes with a slow breath inward.

You have my sincerest of apologies, my Queen! Wy reflected with dispair, I did not mean to offend, nor you, brother Iron!

Baihujinth answered by quite literally leaving the broad-winged other drake in the dust. The King's massive, scar-marked sails were swept backwards in a push forth that almost buffeted both Wyisselieth and Tryonilth with the after-effects, as Baihujinth shot with a surge of power that was often forgotten and underestimated by those who neither sat his back, nor occupied his Wing. Old he might be, these days, but weak? Weak and the Iron's name did not belong in the same sentence, and sometimes, he had to remind people of that fact.

I wish to fly with you, MineOwn, when our Queen has chosen her companion. Be it Zeuth a third time, or otherwise.
'Course, mountain. Y'know I ain't ever gonna tell y'no.

Motivated by the promise of more time with his beloved bonded, and driven by the desire to ensure that Couineth was not bothered by interlopers or otherwise wounded by tom-foolery, Baihujinth took up a position to her left, behind her far enough that she would not feel crowded by his otherwise colossal form, but close enough that the message was clear; I am here. I will not be moved, not until you wish me to be. He had the stamina and the drive to remain until she wanted another; it came with the territory, when one was bonded to a man who spent more time working, perfecting his Wing, and focused on raising his children to be as close to his work ethic as he could muster. It was a delicate balance.

Tryonilth's humor was evident; unlike some, he wasn't blind to Couineth's sense of humor - when it appeared, that was - and her sly comment earned her a coy response. The Burgundy's stocky, well-muscled frame flexed as he barrel rolled against the current generated by Baihujinth's wings, his tailforks gently straying in a caress along Wyisselieth's neck as he propelled himself after the Bronze higher up than he was.

Perhaps in body, my dearest High Queen of the Western Skies, but in that alone. Between Mine and I, we have turns without number, for we are souls of the oldest of times. And even those things we do not know between us, we are always willing to learn. One is never a Master of anything - there is always something new to discover, to learn. This is the way of life. For I am the most willing of students, but only if you agree to be my teacher? He looked sidelong at the lavender drake behind him. It appears, after all, you have schooled one of us already in etiquette and manners...

Z'dyn lifted his hand idly, rubbing the lower half of his face to hide his humor. Like many things did, however, his eyes betrayed his secret. A cough into his fist let slip the sight of the trademarked lilt of one side of his smile being higher than the other. Ev'ion, too, was amused. It did, after all, serve Wy right. Mess with the bull, get the horns.

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 08:51 PM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

Jaireth allowed himself to lazily roll to the side as the other iron surged higher. Was it time? Yes. Yes it was time. After all, a Queenflight was about more than just flirtation. It was about proving that one was a capable leader; a suitable sire for her future clutch. Whoever she Fell with, Theirs would become weyrleader. It was power and duty. It was leadership. They were ready. Yes. They were strangers to this weyr, but he would show Couineth that he could endure. He would show her proof of what she had to gain.

With a snap of his wings, he surged up at a sharp angle, propelling himself in pursuit at an impressive speed. He assumed a position above and to the left of the Gold, opposite of Baihujinth. The older dragon was evidently protective of his queen. Jaireth found only approval in that observation. A lady as grand as Couineth no doubt inspired her whole weyr into reverence. The iron remained mute in his admiration. It seemed she was not one to be easily wooed with pretty words.

And with so many other males clamoring for her approval, perhaps a moment of pause, of contemplation and regard, would suit. He would be watchful. He would be patient. He and His knew that observation was at the heart of tactics. One needed to know their goal until it was as familiar as oneself. He would not be hasty. Let the Flight draw long; let Couineth rise higher and higher and lead them across the land until home was but a memory. He would follow. He would endure.

He would prove himself.

Yes.

Because it was time.

Back in Rayna's weyr, L'aars let his gaze wander to each of the suitors. It was obvious by some of their body language that they were close to the weyrwoman. Friends and lovers stood here today. Would she sway Couineth's favor for her chosen? Would she find comfort in a friend? Dalibor was at an unsteady point. With a new weyr and so many transfers, Rayna and Couineth's choice here today was critical. It would determine the future of the weyr. Who could fault them if they chose someone familiar, who had proven themselves to Dalibor as capable and loyal?

The exchange between a fellow transfer and an ironrider made the corner of his mouth twitch in amusement. Hopefully this whole affair wouldn't end in a brawl. It would put a damper on an otherwise pleasant day.

He let his arms drop to his side as Jaireth assumed opposite of his fellow iron.

Jaireth was a determined drake. Relentless when he wanted something. They both understood duty and diligence, and the way rules could confine or be bent.

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 21 2017, 12:16 AM
Candidatemaster

229 Posts
783 Marks

His large wings, which often looked bulky, were built for this. They caught the warm currents as he rose and dipped along side her, doing a tight barrel roll to show her he was worth it. That he could fly as fancy as any bronze. Even if he did not win this one, he would cement himself in her mind as a strong, reliable dragon. For that was what he was. He was Asperath and he would not be beat by just anyone. The snap of his wings and the heat of Rukbat’s rays were all he felt as he persued his glimmering beauty.

Meanwhile, A’til was watching the little drama between the ironrider and the purplerider with some slight amusement. Reaching up, he brushed a hand over stubble that had accumulated over the last few days of work, scratching his fingers along it. There was a wry twist to his lips, and his eyes settled over them for a few more moments before drifting to Rayna. The Weyrwoman was a capable leader, and he had been impressed by the change in Couineth over the turns. He would move to lean against one of the walls silently pushing Asperath on.

Come on, you can do it. I know you’ve waited all this time for me. Let yourself go, show her what you can.

That seemed to be all the Viridian needed. A few wingbeats and he would shoot himself in an arc. He would aim to fly higher than Couineth herself, to show what power he had. It was a risky move. Time it wrong and he might only offend her. But the tight spiral he pulled was a thing of beauty. At least in A’til’s mind. His wings would snap open and slow his ascent.

Let me help you reach new heights, My Queen

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Apr 23 2017, 12:11 PM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

Zeuth returned Couineth's warmth with some of his own. He had come to truly admire the golden beauty in front of him, and respect the growth she'd undergone in her turns as Senior. It made her all the more beautiful in his eyes.

My queen has the pick of many fine males today, calmly stating the obvious. Though me and Mine will be quite happy to continue as partners to you and Yours, as we have been for you through worse than what the Weyr faces now.

The assassination of the so-called Weyrlord in the 'bowl, and the forced resignation of Avalle and Callistath by the other Weyrs. The Palefolk attack on Western and their later response to it. The so-called Storm of All Passes and the Doomfall. They had been there for the Goldpair through all of that and much more, supporting and implementing their plans to the best of the Bronzepair's abilities. Could any of these other dragonpairs done any of it better? Zeuth thought not.

A bit of humor bled its way into the Bronzepair's bond. Evidently the new Purple transfer had a bit of trouble distinguishing between a Gold's Flight and a Red's. G'len watched the unfolding scene between the transfer and the Ironrider with disguised amusement. It wasn't every day someone tried to physically challenge a pair as large as Z'dyn and Baihunjith, but then again some people and dragons had to learn their lessons the hard way. Thankfully this new pair seemed to be quick learners, though G'len doubted the incident would be immediately forgotten by anyone for a while.

Zeuth surged away from the rest of the fighters and took up a place just below her, doing a small barrelroll for the fun of it. After this is over and everyone is rested, I can show you this new hunting ground I found. The flowers in it are just starting to bloom, and the herdbeasts are quite juicy, he told his golden friend with some affection.

And then slyly added, Perhaps we can even find a way to play tricks on Ours like we did that one day on the beach. Hide ourselves in plain sight while they wonder where we went. Zeuth had no idea how much of that day Couineth recalled, but he did have fun hiding his friend from Hers for a bit. A brief time away from duties was just as important as doing the duties themselves, he found. One never knew what important thing could be found in those times of relaxation.

While his dragon sought to win Couineth's favor, G'len returned his attention to Rayna, watching his friend with affection. He enjoyed her company, and thought she felt the same. He would be there for her, no matter who was chosen today. He could offer her that much, at least.
PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: Apr 24 2017, 09:38 AM
Jr. Weyrwoman

2348 Posts
1197 Marks

T'yandon lifted his eyes ceilingward at the interplay between the ironrider and purplerider, as if asking the rock overhead to share its patience. Z'dyn was a solid rider and a good wingleader - he'd done a fair amount of the teaching of that himself - but he got himself wound up tight about things that weren't necessarily worth getting wound up over. He still remembered the first time he'd sat down with his new wingsecond, when Z'dyn was fresh back from Fort. The man had been on the defensive and justifying himself at length from the get-go.

Of course, he'd had his share of bad luck, so to an extent it was understandable. As long as the man was fair, and worked for the Weyr, T'yandon didn't mind him being a hardass. It took all kinds to make a Weyr.

And maybe he was being a little harsh himself. I'm getting too old for this. He'd count forty-four Turns in just a few months, after all. Faranth only knew how O'sho had kept it up into his fifties. T'yandon was plenty fit - but flights just didn't seem to be worth it anymore, except for Ietermath's sake.

Ietermath, on the other hand, was plenty game for Couineth's flight or any other. He loved the challenge, loved striving against others. He didn't offer more chatter because really, there was nothing left to say until the gold made her choice or not. Courtesy and compliments had been given because really, if you were trying to make that kind of connection with a lady, the least one could do was tell her that she looked nice first.

Instead he winged his way higher, always following, not tiring as the flight stretched on. He wasn't so easily worn out or lost, he wasn't going to get distracted by showing off in the air. There was no need. Not in this kind of flight, when lightheartedness would win nothing. Only discipline. Only duty. For her, he could offer this without reservation.

PMAIM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 25 2017, 12:37 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

2963 Posts
1015 Marks

It was always clear when it was time, her wings began feeling tired and her desire to just allow one of the males to catch her became so much stronger. Why? Why did she pick in this way? What did this show? Couineth pondered these thoughts as she pushed harder,
angling up and away from the males below. Then a green arrow shot past her.
A spiral. Showing off and drawing attention away from her magnificent flying.
Rude. Couineth looked at the Viridian dragon and huffed out heavily. Unacceptable.
There were those that knew Couineth and those that did not. The gold knew this.
There were, in her mind, a few choices. Unfortunately for Asperath, he had just discounted himself. The great gold was proddy and moody during her flights and prone to annoyance if there were those dragons who decided to distract, steal attention or prove that they were arrogant.

The irony of this was completely lost on Couineth.

So this brought her back to the choices. Jaireth, Teraath, Xerocleth, Wyisselieth, Tryonilth, (not Asperath poor thing), Baihujinth, Zeuth and Ietermath. Jaireth and Wyisselieth she might consider another time. Teraath was just too young and it was the same with Tryonilth. Ietermath was strong but not who she wanted. Xerocleth was considered strongly, he was fast and agile of mind as annoying as that was to admit but yet she found herself drawn away.

Drawn to the choice she had already made or to a choice she wished to make. Zeuth or Baihujinth. Never before had Couineth felt so torn in her mind. It was a strange thought to worry about these two dragons that had both served the Weyr and her so admirably when only a few turns prior she would have made a choice without consideration for anyone apart from herself.

Both of their riders were friends to Hers. She admired Zeuth for the way he flew, the way he fought and for everything he had taught her. The way he and His had served the Weyr all these turns. He was calm. He was fun. He was playfulness down by the beach that day she was hiding from Rayna. G'len was picnics. He was a friend, a joker, a father, a leader.

Yet she also admired Baihujinth for the same things.

Hemetath was brought to mind. If he had been around, the choice would have been easy.
With him gone, the choice had been easy. No irons. And yet Baihujinth was not Hemetath. He did not look like Hemetath and for the first time in a flight since Hemetath's death, Couineth could see Baihujinth as himself. As the dragon who had stood by her,
supported her and fought for her. As the dragon that still flew now, beside her prepared to forfeit his chance at leadership to ensure she was able to make her choice free from interference.

Baihujinth. It has been long. You are my choice... Couineth paused a moment, her words reaching all the males. What if he no longer wanted her? Please, if you wish it, I will fall with you.
Her wings faltered and she listed towards Baihujinth.

In their Weyr, Rayna turned to Z'dyn.
"She wishes to choose Baihujinth. If you do not wish to remain, I will take care of myself," her mind was not so clouded. She well remembered Z'dyn's personal battles. If he would not choose her, that was acceptable.

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 25 2017, 07:54 AM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

Baihujinth continued to sail easily alongside and somewhat both below and behind Couineth. Never higher than his Queen, never in front of her unless it was during a Fall. Always the silent defender, the Iron had said nothing during the entire Flight, at least not audibly. Not to anyone but His, but it hadn't been necessary. Couineth had been his charge, his friend, someone worthy of his protection and guardianship - though she'd needed none of it, she was formidable and stalwart in every one of her own rights - for a decade's worth of turns, and then some. He hadn't needed to try and sway her with pretty words and useless praise, she knew his ways and his intentions; no matter what her choice was, he'd always been there.

He would always be there.

He bobbled, however, when she spoke to him. In all truth, the aging Iron hadn't expected that he'd be chosen - after all, for the last some eight turns, Zeuth had been her confident, her friend, her lover and ally. He had half expected the words to be nothing more than the usual group-wide apology to the others, and the continued reign of the then-current Weyrleader.

The shock through their bond was evident, and even Z'dyn stiffened a little bit at the decision. A confused expression, before Couineth's choice became apparent. The recently-divorced Ironrider looked a little taken off-guard; the choice wasn't one he would have expected to be made, clearly, and he licked his lips with a sense of 'well then'.

Baihujinth made no effort to out-fly his Queen; he followed her up, wings broad and as massive as the Iron himself, though he was nothing next to the radiance of the Gold who locked claws with him. His lengthy tail wrapped hers with a practiced sense of willful care - he didn't want to scratch her immaculate hide with his claws, or otherwise harm her - and he supported her as they fell. His huge head and neck rubbed gently against Couineth's own, and he crooned affectionately.

The tail-twining had the usual reaction for the man bonded to the colossal, square-nosed Iron, and Z'dyn actually looked a little ashamed that he couldn't hide it all that well. He wasn't exactly small in any respect, but he did his best not to look awkward or otherwise cumbersome as he stepped close to Rayna; huge arms settled around her, and he hugged her close; careful not to make contact in a particularly awkward location. His slur was far more pronounced - a sign of his arousal, perhaps something else, though it wasn't easily discerned.

"Thinkin' there's somebody else'd prolly wanna help y'with that, even though he ain't the one Coui's picked. I'm gonna slip out. Promised I'd look after you, don't...feel right, sleepin' wi' you. Yer m'friend, always been m'friend an' I don't wanna make nothin' awkward, y'know? Think I'm gonna ride this'n out alone, mebbe." Blue eyes looked back across his shoulder towards G'len. "Hey, ol' timer. Y'mind helpin' me out, here?"

Z'dyn dropped a kiss on Rayna's temple.

"Y'behave, now. I'll catch up wi' you later, an' we'll sort some stuff out. Lemme know when yer ready t'talk, figure Bai'll camp out on yer ledge fer a bit after. He gets annoyin', kick 'im off an' send 'im home." He slid his hands into his pockets, shoulders squared as he moved towards the door, and left Rayna to the arms of a man she'd been far more intimate with over the turns than she ever had been or would be with Z'dyn. G'len was more acquainted with her than he was; she'd no doubt find better company with him, than with the Ironrider.

He paused at the door, and looked back towards what he could only assume was the pair.

"An' Rayna?" His eyes softened considerably. "Thanks. She made 'is turn. I'mma try real hard not t'be no disappointment." A soft half-smile, before he slipped out the door.

C'lainn grinned, bowing respectfully to both Rayna and G'len, before Ev'ion elbowed his arm. The Purplerider winked, and Lainn's brows lifted, before Ev'ion grinned and hooked an arm around Lainn's hips. Wyisselieth banked away with a croon towards Couineth, a wordless apology for his actions no doubt, before he fluttered onto the ledge to pick up not only His, but the Burgundyrider. Both men were taken back to Ev'ion's weyr, and Tryonilth grumped dourly on his ledge a few minutes later. Someone seemed to be somewhat miffed, but Lainn knew his Burgundy enough to know he'd get over it.

After all, he reasoned, Couineth probably just didn't pick you because you're younger. Once you're older....who knows?

Yon huffed, but the recollection of his Gold Queen being somewhat sly hadn't evaded his memory. It made Yon smile somewhat, as much as a dragon could, and he rolled over onto his wings and back on his ledge to bask in the sunshine.

Roiath, Baihujinth momentarily slipped through the dragon-hive-mind of sorts, though the communication was private. I have been chosen. Mine has not lain with Couineth's. He is walking down the corridor towards the Lower Caverns, I would request humbly that Yours find him. Bring him back to your weyr. I will come to get him when you are finished - there is much to speak on, between himself and our Weyrwoman and Senior Queen.

@Boo @Tigersilk @Raining

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 25 2017, 12:39 PM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

Both L'aars and Jaireth expected this to happen. Jaireth was disappointed as he always was after losing a Flight like this, but he didn't linger long. Instead he curved his flight path higher and banked back towards the weyr. Couineth had made her choice. A fine one at that. The deep friendship between the gold and the iron was evident, and she not chosen him, no doubt the bronze would have had her favor. He hummed lowly, his thoughts an ebb of pictures and emotions instead of coherent words. But L'aars understood. He always did.

Pushing away from the wall he was leaning against, he offered a faint smile and a respectful bow of his head to Rayna and her chosen. His fellow ironrider wasn't going to stay with his weyrwoman, but he doubted she would be want for a partner this day. He wasn't blind to the affections between the riders. It was good to see. Wordlessly, he slipped from her quarters to stand on the edge of the ledge. Jaireth was there, swooping down. He mounted and let his dragon take him back to his own weyr. The dizzying effects of the Flight still effected him, but he was a stranger here, having been at Dalibor a sevenday. Perhaps it would be best to remain out of sight and alone for now. Come the next Rising female, he might actually know a suitable partner for the event.

Jaireth took again to the sky. He would return when he burned away the excess energy radiating through his body.

Both rider and iron were restless.

However, the world kept turning. With a new weyrleader named by Couineth's choice in partner, no doubt there would be some kind of change in the future. L'aars expected the transition to go just fine.

PMEmail
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 02:21 PM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

It came down to two.

Zeuth had watched and waited as Couineth whittled her list of possible mates down one by one, for reasons that could be considered minor, depending on how one looked at them. Just him and Baihunjinth, the two living males that were closest to the golden beauty they all sought to please.

In the eternal second before she spoke and made it official, he knew. He knew.

And it wasn't him.

The great Bronze crooned disappointment, as would be natural in such a close contest, but he held no ill will towards his rival. The decision, after all, ultimately turned on a whim of the moment; had this Flight taken place a day before or a day after, he'd likely be the winner instead of the Iron. Who knew?

Down in Rayna's weyr, G'len felt a mix of contradictory emotions run through him, relief and disappointment that the burdens of the Leadership were no longer his to bear chief among them. An interesting mix, he thought in a relatively unclouded portion of his mind, and something he'd have to examine later, back in his own rooms.

For now, though, G'len watched the new Senior of Dalibor warily, fighting back an irrational desire to chase him off from Rayna. Intellectually he knew he had no right to interfere if Z'dyn so desired to bed her, but the emotions existed anyway. He hid them from his face and gestures pretty well (his training in his old Trader train came in handy at times like this), though anyone present who could ready body language quite well would see those emotions, he was sure.

Then the idiot had to speak...and people said he could be arrogant sometimes?!? G'len wasn't surprised at the decision, given what he knew of the Ironrider's current problems, but that statement could have been worded much better in his opinion. He all but rolled his eyes at the 'old timer' comment. Last few turns he was the kid barely out of Werylinghood turned Senior (IF rumor central was reporting things to him correctly), but now...?

"How magnanimous of you." G'len said sarcastically, and left it at that. If he said anything else at this point, he'd likely regret it later. He waited until the larger man finally left Rayna's side before approaching her himself; he didn't want or need another man next to him like they were an instructor of some sort. Didn't need the other man's permission either, wasn't his decision to decide who Rayna should be with now; it was hers.

If she allowed it, he'd pull his friend into his arms, holding her and allowing the feel of her to distract him from his surroundings. If she was willing, so was he. The Bronzerider ignored Z'dyn's final words before leaving, because if he didn't the he likely would've thrown something to make the other man just GO already. The tail end of a mating Flight was not the time or place for a thank-you card and flowers, alright?

Yeeesh.
PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 28 2017, 06:07 PM
Candidatemaster

229 Posts
783 Marks

When he shot ahead he had a horrible realization.

He had lost this chase.

Should have held back, buddy. You’re the best, sure, but she’s the star.
If the dragon could hang his head, he would have. His rider was right. He should have let her shine, instead, he overshot her and showed off. While he had intended to prove himself, he just got dropped from the running. Broad wings would pull him higher and higher into the air, trying to burn off that flightlust that had commanded him to chase. All the while he was thinking over how he had gone wrong.

Back in Rayna’s weyr, A’til just laughed. It was ok with him. He’d bow to Rayna with a sure grin on his face.
“Quite the chase, it was fun. But you have a good night.” The room swam a bii, dizzying the rider as he stepped back and started to make his way from her Weyr. He wasn’t too upset, really, A’til was really calm about the whole thing, and while other riders got more into flights, A’til was always so detached. He had to be to calm Asperath, since the dragon was prone to fits of loneliness and isolation.

Next time?
Yea, next time bud. Now let’s get back to work.

One hand ran along the wall as he walked, his footsteps almost in time with the viridian’s great wingbeats. Though two separate hearts, and two separate heads, the two shared one soul. Forever linked. And that was good enough for them.

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates