Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

We'll Share a Dream, {Couineth's fifth Hatching}
Blot
 Posted: May 19 2017, 10:22 AM
Candidatemaster

229 Posts
783 Marks
Member Inventory: View

He would be a bit surprised by the gesture, but would take Asha’s hand. Rayiet wasn’t the type to think girls had cooties, or some other terrible disease. He was sure if they did, Asha would be kind enough not to spread them. So he followed her to the seat. Sitting down, he flashed her a small, shy smile and Wysp chirped happily. The blue did one more circle around Dabyrie before making his way back to Rayiet’s shoulders. There he curled up, while the boy turned his eyes back to their chaperone.

He nodded a bit at her words. He was certain he wouldn’t get scared. Nothing scared him! Or at least, that’s what he liked to think. Truthfully, he was a bit nervous, he had heard some of the older Weyrbrats tell stories about hatchings, including ones about Couineth’s hatchings, and they had been quite scary sounding. Still, for now, everything seemed calm, and the boy turned his eyes to the rainbow of hides on the sands.

@Zane - Asha
@Ivy -Dabyrie

--

The hand on her shoulder and the light squeeze surprised her a bit, but Kida quickly returned that smile. There was something heartening about Kali that Kidanyr liked. She seemed like a kind young woman.
“Yes, perfect match.” She laughed softly.
“Who knows what fate holds.”

Kida’s gaze would follow the curious brown as he worked his way around. He was slow and steady, which was pretty much how browns were supposed to be. Still, that wasn’t as entertaining to watch. So her attention shifted back to the green. The green that wasn’t hers.

There was something beautiful about the way the green sat under the rain, letting it wash away her anger. The rain seemed to be all she needed to pick hers, because she started to move among the candidates. Kida didn’t bounce in anticipation. She didn’t follow her with the intensity of a hawk. She already knew they were no match. But when the green impressed to another girl, she still smiled.

There were other dragons, and the bond that had been forged was beautiful.

Attention reverted back to those dragonets on the sands. The moving egg was a bit of a curiosity, and Kida tilted her head a bit, watching it with an amused air about her.
“Someone’s shy,” she whispered to Kali.

Two eggs hatched, and one made Kida hiss a breath through her teeth. Red. But upon a closer look, it was Burgundy, which made her heart flutter a bit less. Hopefully, he wasn’t as angry as one of his brighter sisters. She didn’t want to see ichor on the sands. The sudden leap of the newly hatched blue made her tilt her head a bit, and she eyed where the hidden egg had been. It had hatched, and it was lurking.

It seemed it was time for eggs to hatch, because one of the purple eggs let free a green. A green that took her breath away.
“My isn’t she stunning?” She had never seen a dragon that embodied such perfection before. And soon there was a purple before her. When did he hatch?

A few gasps and sounds of surprised made her glance towards the stands, where the brown was now knocking someone over. Someone close to Arendel. Ooooh he better not! Kida was ready to rush over and wedge herself between them. But the brown seemed satisfied just knocking the girl over. She sighed a bit heavily and shook her head. Silly dragonets.

@Ruriko - Kali
--

Candi glanced over, noting that someone had knocked a girl over. Upon closer inspection, it was Oreanda. She was about to get up to offer a hand, when the Lord Holder himself picked her up. Ah good. The gasps and whispers after the brown’s adventure had ebbed and waned, especially since it wasn’t near where Candi sat.

On the sands, it now looked like the burgundy was trying to… Fight? Candi let out a little amused sound, cradling her head in her hand.
“Just what are you doing?” She cooed softly to no one in particular. Her pinky lightly tapped against her cheek as the dragonet knocked the girl flat. There was an amused curl to her lips as the dragonet looked like he was going to spar with the girl. Was she allowed to strike back? Really, Candi didn’t know.

Then the… black? Was moving. Without his shell she could see faint checkerboard markings all over his form. He was shy for someone so eye catching, Candi noted. He too eventually made his way to the stands. But there was less pushing this time. Instead, he impressed to a girl Candi had seen in her Candidate lessons. Candi’s brows raised in surprise! A wher candidate impressing a dragon? Scandalous!

Then, that voice filled her head. She sat back and tilted her head a bit, looking out to the sands to see if she could see whom was speaking

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 19 2017, 10:54 AM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

This was an almost amusing hatch. Singing dragonets, a stands impression, odd burrowing, dancing and all sorts of other shenanigans. Of course the green hissed and nipped, but she impressed shortly after her cyan sister. So far, three dragonets found their matches and there were quite a few on the sand and even more unhatched. L'aars felt Jaireth's humor pass through him as the mighty iron considered some grand joke he wasn't quite ready to share. He might never. Perhaps that would be best. It was always unexpected when the king decided to add his inappropriate commentary and it wouldn't do to start laughing like a dimglow in the stands. Especially not with members of his wing right there. L'aars arched a brow when Ly'on waved at him. G'len and he had an utter swarm of flits around them. Taking note of his surroundings and deciding that no little one's would be denied viewing the hatch should he move, the giant of a wingsecond moved down the stands to sit beside the bronze and viridian riders. He wasn't quick about it. L'aars didn't do quick when it involved stairs. Someone, not necessarily him, would get hurt if he stepped wrong and lost his balance.

He dropped beside Ly'on with a grunt.

L'aars didn't speak, he just lifted his chin in greeting, eyes fixing back onto the sands.

@Rowana | Ly'on
@Tigersilk | G'len

Maus wasn't the most useful commentator. He made odd, childish interjections about things being cool and how he hoped the dragonets were less angry. Xialas did not answer, though he did not chide him either. His was the usual wonder of a young boy. Many of the candidates in Xialas' age group were wide-eyed, such as that Arcaina girl. He could not fault them. They weren't familiar enough with hatches to know what to expect. These events could turn bloody, fast, and while so far, the worst that happened was a nip and a trod upon--before the end, someone could end up in the infirmary or even dead. He'd seen people mauled on the sands when they lost their calm or moved in a way a dragonet did not like. It happened. It was grim, gory and quite frankly one of the worst aspects of Standing. Threadfall and its injuries were worse, in his opinion, but at least with thread you weren't expected to lie there as it mutilated you.

"No need to feel sorry for them," Xialas said, keeping his voice low. "None of them are hurt and some have bonded successfully. It's been peaceful so far." Pale eyes searched the sands, passing quickly over the beautiful green and the frivolous purple dancing with her. A brown was headed their way. Not unexpected since subkings preferred males over females as their bonds. Suddenly, his ears were filled with the voice of one of the hatchlings. It sounded...like it was making an announcement? Well then. Were they about to get a weather warning? Xialas refrained from rolling his eyes at his own bad joke. It was raining. A worse storm would not be welcome.

@Zane | Maus

PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: May 19 2017, 11:16 AM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

Arendel shied away from the pressure on his arm, but it did the trick, he sat down heavily doing his best not to peer back up at whatever was unfolding elsewhere. "But it isn't fair," he whined softly. "He gets to abandon me, and now my mother and that's just it? You didn't do that." He found his hands were shaking and his jaw hurt from how hard he clenched it when not speaking, but nothing he could say would make any of this better. "Like we didn't even exist. He looked surprised to see me. He doesn't even belong here, he had his chance. He should've just left the Weyr if he was going to leave everything else anyway." The boy clasped his hands together to keep them idle, trying to focus on the voices of the dragons.

This should've been a happy time for him. It should have been exciting and different and new. The first hatching since his mother, when he was really old enough to understand. He had a friend and he was trying not to be so angry. "The one time I try to count on him to just keep doing what he was doing anyway," and he showed up, with some man draped all over him. "He's abandoned you too, now." Aren looked up at his uncle as if daring him to deny that it didn't feel that way, but looked away when Nymeria tried to distract him with the hatching. "You're right, I shouldn't be thinkin' about it none. He's gonna go wherever now." If only he'd found a Wherhandler man to hang all over him, Aren might've had some peace.

"Hey, that's good though," he agreed about the Brown, "maybe won't be so bad after all. The blood I mean." The boy's brief reprieve was stolen when someone sat down on the other side of his uncle. For one moment Arendel was terrified that it was his father, but turning his head exposed an angular Dragonrider--a fact which caused the boy to sigh in relief. He didn't hesitate to take the man's hand in as firm a grip as he could muster at his age, to be a child and avoid parallels was one of Arendel's specialties. "He's my uncle, he should'a been my da though, he's better in every way. We're all just a little bit sad cause my da abandoned us, well except..." he'd turned around to say except Nymeria only to come face to snout with a tiny Black hatchling.

Was this his?

No, it was...his mouth dropped open when it continued on to Nym and stared at her, his eyes exploding into rainbows. Aren knew what that meant. "You...got one!" He was laughing, it was actual laughter and he couldn't stop, triggered in something of a runaway fit from the emotional tension strung through him. "I told you we shouldn't have come, look at 'im. Oh I hope he's nice, he seems nice." The little creature looked at him again, bobbing its head between the two of them and it made Aren smile. "Look, Uncle G'dan, Nym got one!" He tried to ignore that it was Black, he hadn't been around for any of that anyway, but he was horrified by the thought that something might be wrong with it. Nymeria hadn't wanted a dragon. "Are you alright, is...he alright? What's his name, eh?"

It seemed as though his father was being temporarily forgotten. Which was probably what the man deserved anyway.

@Rii @Ruriko

--
@RhiaBlack - both!
--

The Greenrider looked sad. G'dan tried to smile through it, but Sebolaren could see it falter and fade. Any searching the Handler would have done through his friend's expression was stolen from him as the man turned away to speak with his son instead. His heart lurched and he looked down at B'er's knee. What would happen now? He was crawling out of his hole but had left his friend behind. He wasn't even sure how to fix it--or if he could. He shouldn't have come, he realized, but it was far too late to back out and pretend this had never happened. Sebol would have shouldered a thousand hateful gazes from his son to prevent the one he'd just seen from G'dan, and now the only thing he could do was decide that maybe he shouldn't see G'dan at all unless the Greenrider found some kind of happiness himself.

Fisher had the decency to look ashamed. She could feel Ijreth pressing close in the back of her mind in a supportive way, yet she knew without a doubt the Cyan agreed with everything B'er was saying. The young woman stayed silent while her brother spoke, her eyes listing back and forth between the Rider and the former Candidatemaster. Sebolaren simply did his best to look at nothing, taking all the time he needed to piece together the shaky control he had over his own emotions until the firelizards started to get bored watching this story play out and began disappearing in ones and twos. He sighed softly which drew a scrutinizing gaze from the Cyanrider.

He did look a mess, she thought to herself, and could feel Ijreth's mirth. This time she did not need to hear that she knew nothing to understand that it was true. She let her brother pull her in, sitting down on his other side and peering across him to Sebolaren, who still was doing his best to ignore that she was even there. Which was about as much as she deserved, she supposed. "I didn't know what to do," she admitted softly, holding on to B'er's hand with both of her own. "You've always been the one who knew how to do everything, and then you almost died and I couldn't do much of anything but take care of Mew and Eko."

She did have reasons for disliking Fa'rah, and maybe they were real, maybe they weren't, but there was no point discussing it now. He'd moved on, somehow. "I should've been there, but I was too scared. I'm sorry, B'er. I don't think it'll happen again," she looked over at Sebol as if seeking confirmation, but when he looked back she saw only concern--fear even--"but, ah...if it does I'll try to be a better sister." She sighed softly, feeling again that strength from her dragon as she looked back to Sebol. "I'm sorry, you were a good man, and you must still be one because, well," her gaze shifted back to her brother. "You don't put up with nonsense."

Sebolaren had relaxed moment by moment as the two spoke, and had finally let his hand fall back across B'er's thigh as he leaned back to stretch his legs into the walkway. This was how he remained, paying half attention to most things going on, that is until he caught sight of the little dragon sitting near his son. He jolted upright, but then...no. It had chosen the girl to the side of him. The Handler didn't know if he was relieved or disappointed. His thoughts briefly wandered, searching around his mind for Sesk, but she'd settled down quick enough once she'd figured out what was happening. Not completely asleep, but on the edge.

Fisher sat there for a long moment, awkwardly wondering if she should leave--not that this was exactly a romantic location for a couple. It was only that Sebolaren wasn't much of a talker, was he, and she had just insulted him and her brother. Did they even want her here? Did she want to be here? These were all important questions she had to ask herself. It would be hard for her to, well, accept a man in B'er's life she realized. Not that she wasn't willing, only that she'd spent so much time balking it that now she didn't even know what someone did in this situation. "You know," she said matter-of-fact. "A man came to my room last night and fell asleep in my bed. I didn't even know him. Ijreth wanted to throw him out but I felt bad--oh!" She pointed across the way to the group. "It's the Harper that isn't sleeping. It was very odd."

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Lee
 Posted: May 19 2017, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

BUGLE
BUGLE!
HONK, HONK!
GLEEFUL SCREECH OF JOY.

It did not take a HAD to understand Mifth, bouncing so happily on his chosen ledge that rock dust floated indiscriminately down upon the lower levels' hapless spectators. His mirthful, exuberant delight was clear as day, even without the running commentary saved for his (pointedly ignoring him) bonded. Joyous day! Happy day! HATCHING DAY! Ooooh Mine look at that one, isn’t she lovely, she is a dark green like, like DARK GREEN THINGS oh she is lovely, and strong, yes she is. And OOOOOH Mine, Mine, look! A cyan! She SINGS do you hear her song oh it is so PRETTY just like she is, yes, and oh HOORAY! A brown! A brown, Mine! Do you see him? Ooh a red—no, no, it is a He! It is a burgundy Ooooh a BURGUNDY how exciting! And a blue! And a NOSE look at the NOSE what a fun snout it is, it is all I can see can you see it what an exciting snoot to see! And a purple oooooh I bet he will be fun purples are always fun I cannot wait to meet him and he is talking to his sister she is green and she is very pretty—LOOK A BLACK and he has CHOSEN oh glorious day GLORIOUS BABIES this is SO EXCITING. HOOORAAAAAAAAAAY

F’dren sipped his klah.

--

Oh Faranth, Oh Faranth’s shells, oh by the first egg!

Ikspi was quite nearly hyperventilating, so quick and rapid was her breathing. She tried to slow it down but it was…it was just so much! There were so many of them, sprawling and scuttling around the Sands and some of them seemed so very angry! She watched in horror as the…was it a burgundy? Rolled up to his full height, challenging one of the other female candidates. Was he challenging her to a fight?! Oh, how she hoped one would not do the same for her! The diminutive candidate was quite certain she could hold her own in scientific discussion or philosophizing with any of the egg-wet offspring of their Senior Queen and the mighty Iron, but a fight?

The pernicious, vicious thought snaked around her heart that perhaps her brothers would have done better to Stand than she after all, rough, tumble, and reckless.
She hissed through her teeth. No! That was against the rules! Positive thoughts only. And so what if she was only here because her father was a rider? Why couldn’t she be one?

(For one, she had gotten out of breath even just on the brisk walk over here—but no, that could be fixed with conditioning, she was studying, she could change.)

She drew herself up to her full height, which was admittedly not much, and focused on the rules. Positive thoughts.

Well. A spinner could lay up to 200 eggs at once. That was quite a positive thought wasn’t it? That something so small could do so much!

A bit of a relief that dragons, perhaps, could not do the same…this was quite overwhelming enough.

--

Kolbi offered @Ruriko Lueka an easy, relaxed grin as the boy joined him.

Now that it was all happening, it was fun. It was fascinating. If he stopped worrying about the future—and what was the point, anyway? Plenty of folks he’d known who had worried about the future hadn’t even arrived at the future they planned for, swept away by Doomfall or illness, the rush of a flooded river after a summer storm—and Impression, he had a front row seat to all sorts of fascinating shenanigans.

He was enjoying himself, watching the chaos of shattered shells and speedy hatchlings; a grab bag of dames, divas, disasters and dashing dragons.

Or at least he was, until an unfamiliar voice echoed in his mind something about a ‘special broadcast’. Kolbi winced, and only barely kept the scowl that started from finishing on his lips. Shells, he wished they wouldn’t do that!!
^
Ruriko
 Posted: May 19 2017, 02:11 PM
Weyrlingmaster

472 Posts
150 Marks

@Ruin, @Rii

Nym

She well knew the feeling of having been abandoned. It was one she'd lived with her entire life. She'd wondered why, she'd wondered what her parents were like, and if she might've been different if they had ever wanted to even see her at all. Still, it was true that she thought maybe the not knowing was better than having someone and having them abandon her. It's why she never let anyone get close to her...well, until now. Aren had called her a friend, and she'd never had one of those before. It was unsettling, but it felt...nice. She got the impression Aren didn't just go making friends with everyone, either. It made her feel kind of special, though she'd have never worded it like that. No, she'd never have ever said it, and she didn't even think it--it was just something she felt and didn't know what words to put to it.

"His loss, ya know," she said lightly, sounding as much as she could like she meant it, too. Aren's dad didn't earn any points in her books for just abandoning his kid. Sure, he'd lost some, and she knew what losing a dragon did to a person. It was downright terrifying and that's why she never wanted to Impress, too. Yet Aren had lost his mom, and then his dad, by what he did. Now Sebol was there with some other dragonman, and she got why Aren was so upset. Still, she felt much better when he agreed and returned his attention to the hatching. They were here together, and it was supposed to be 'fun', wasn't it? Then they all started hatching, and she could only watch, pointing and exclaiming, "Look'it 'em all, Aren! Purple, green, brown, burgundy, blue...they're all comin' out now." And coming straight at her. Luckily, she was paying attention, because that brown would have walked all over her. As it was, she went tense as it came for her, and then as she was knocked, quickly shot up and to the side, perching cat-like on the seat a moment before the moment passed. Shells, what were they doing up in the stands? And Aren was still talking to his Uncle at that moment! She watched the brown, keeping an eye on it--she totally missed the black.

She went to turn back, and there he was, nearly nose to nose with her. She froze a moment--no getting out of the way of this one. He was right there. Only...

Oh Nymeria, please can we ask him if we might have one of his pillies. I promise not to eat them. Tell him Echith says he promises not to eat any of his pillies.

The voice in her mind...she knew it, right? Somehow it was like she had always known it, so of course it made sense that she did. Green eyes met dragonet eyes, and it was like something in her mind just...she didn't have a word. But she knew what it was, and she was absolutely shocked. She'd never been so shocked in her entire thirteen turns. The stories about it were right. It was like nothing else. Nym had always considered herself a whole person. She knew she was capable, and could take care of herself, and needed no one or nothing else to do for her, because she could do for herself. Yet this...this was like never having realized you were only half a person. This was...why she hadn't wanted to Impress, right? She was shocked, but she was disgustingly happy. It didn't show on her face, but she was happier than she'd been in her whole life, and she didn't even know what to do with these kind of feelings.

I am sorry I am not a wher but I can certainly be small and if you like we can even be awake at night! He was talking again. His name was Echith. He was hers. She was so shocked, true, that it hadn't quite registered. She'd Impressed. Aren was laughing.

She blinked, and looked over at her friend as the black curled up next to her, fitting all perfect-like beside her. Her mouth opened, then closed. He was asking what the black's name was, and if it was all right, and she was all right. She recalled, then, that his father had Impressed, and not been all right. She felt like crying, but it wasn't the bad kind. It was a kind she was altogether unfamiliar with. She nodded, and swiped the back of her nose with her hand, giving a sniff. "Think I am," she said with a slight smirk and a shrug, and then cleared her throat. Damn, there was a lump in it. She didn't do crying. Not in front of people, not even not in front of people. Didn't matter what kind of crying it was. "Says he's Echith, an' shells...you were right I s'pose. I got one. He's all right, too." She smiled a little, then, shaking her head and looking incredelous. The shock was still present, and Echith was speaking again. What was he saying? Interrupted something...? Plus, he had apologized for 'not being a wher' of all things. "You're not a wher, nope. You don't gotta' be, neither. We can stay up at night sometimes, maybe, if you wanna'. Still I think Aren had it right an' I'd miss the sunlight. You're a dragon, an' I like you like you are," she informed him. He nuzzled closer, making a contented sound, curled up next to her in a near-ball.

"He wants a pillie," she said with a short bark of laughter, and then pointed to Noctis. "We got one, Echith. That one's mine. He's Noctis. We can get another one, though. Planned to anyhow." She hadn't realized she'd put an arm around the black, holding him beside her. Wait? Shells, he was hungry. She felt it like a gnawing at her own stomach, but he wanted to wait for her? Noctis curiously felt the black with his antennae. Two black creatures, now--they matched, like it was meant to be or something. Noctis seemed content that his was happy, and they had a new friend. Easy going as the pillie was, it was not much of an adjustment to make. Nym was glad for that.

"What'cha laughing for, Aren? You're next, ya' know," she said, with a grin. Wouldn't it be something, though, if Aren Impressed today, too? What happened now that she had...? She'd be a weyrling...and that wouldn't change a thing, 'cause Aren was her friend. Her only friend--except now Echith was a friend, too--and something more, besides. "He's real hungry," she said, standing up and eyeing the sands. She didn't want to go down there. Maybe she could get a bucket and come back up? Or was she supposed to join the others who'd Impressed? Suddenly unsure, she hesitated.

"Do I gotta' go down there...? Can't I bring up a bucket here?" This, to G'dan. Maybe he'd know, as he had a dragon of his own. Meanwhile, Echith had stood up, and taken a few steps so that he was in front of Aren, looking up at the boy.

You are Aren? I am Echith. You are not afraid of me, are you? His eyes tinged yellows and oranges, then. He looked plaintively up at the boy, suddenly feeling sad. He sensed some concern from the boy, and was hoping it was not on his account. Nym looked at Aren--how did the black sense something like that? Was he? Maybe he was worried, but she doubted a little thing like this scared him. Nym didn't answer, because she wasn't sure. She really wanted Aren to like her dragon, now that she had it. She didn't want him to ever feel he had to be afraid on Echith's account, 'cause she knew he would never hurt anyone on purpose.
PMEmail
^
Raining
 Posted: May 19 2017, 02:11 PM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks

Serlie

Serlie managed to get to her feet, brushing the quickly cooling sand from her hands and rump, with a nod that said she was just fine. They didn't even nick her! She swiftly glanced around for anymore rampaging babies, before sidling closer to Taylei. "We're not supposed to be talking," she hissed, but a smile was present on her face. which was definitely on the mischievous side. The Candidatemaster wasn't currently looking but it seemed a good chunk of people were whispering among themselves. She was sure they were all gunna hear from him anyway.

"I've been to... three? I think this is my third. I forget though. I've been standing since I was ten, because my mum..." her voice faltered, but she continued talking as if there wasn't a quick pause. Positive thoughts Serlie! "Because my mum was... is a dragonrider," she jutted a thumb at herself, "'weyrbred'." She whispered with almost a proud tone, despite whispering.

Serlie's eyes were never on Tay for very long, but not because she was being rude. She needed to keep an eye out for babies, and she has heard from a few that recounted the days of their own Candidacy, that dragonets didn't like attention taken off them. She gasped in a sort of awe watching the green and purple dance, they were so beautiful. She looked to Tay and pointed them out, and that glance towards Tay brought her attention to the reddish bro-- burgundy was trying tohit another candidate... with his fists. What a strange dragon, he was cute thats for sure! "Tough guy, right?" she giggled softly, wiggling her finger at the boxing burgundy.

It was kind of impressive how--

Ah and then there was a mysterious voice. Hatchings were always so fun, and it definitely brought her spirits up... even though she knew no one she loved or loved her was watching.

@Ruriko (Tay!)

-----------------

Da'on - Healer spectatorrr for @Ruin and @Lee

Da'on snorted some at the former 'brat's response, as his brain immediate translated turns into something a little older, but he managed to keep any smirk from touching his lips. Yet he could not judge, as he was rolling down a steep mountainside towards forty. Which made him older than the red rider... ff... which also voided any amusement gained from that one small thought, and soured his mood some.

The Journeyman gestured at his already prepared instruments and salves, with a sort of flat look. Ah but that flat look lit at her thinly veiled mention of a bet or a challenge. He glanced out towards the Sands, lips twitching as it was green that was the first blood drawn... yet... she and the cyan streaked through the candidates with little regard for any chaos left in their wake. Both uncaring of damage. "Tch" came the sound of his tongue clicking behind his teeth. There was apart of him, the part that wished to take no part of any challenge because he would probably lose this bet, that knew better. Yet the draw towards something.... especially the goods from that Trader, and of course his cocky, competitive nature... But that burgundy was trying to punch a candida--

"You're on," he flashed her a cocky grin. What was there to lose?

Marks, that could be unselfishly put towards those you love?
Hush
Oh and your dignity..
Hush

"Your darling appre... ah sorry. Your former apprentice needs a witness. We all know how he adores to lick your boots. Oh and if you're nice... i'll even share some of the wine you'll be buying me."

Roiath chuckled in His' mind, Idiot ♥

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: May 19 2017, 05:15 PM
Weyrlingmaster

472 Posts
150 Marks

@Ivy

Rosian

The little girl watched the dragons hatch one by one, all the colors said with a pointed finger as they came out. "Green. Purple. Brown. Black. Blue. Green. Red...?" It looked almost like a red, so the mistake was an honest one. Still, she had seen a red. This one was not like the red she'd seen. "Mommy, is that one red?" she asked, pointing to the burgundy and looking up at her mother with curiosity in her big blue eyes.

She was not happy with the thought she wouldn't be able to play with her cousin Cairenn's dragon, but she thought she understood. Babies needed to be taken care of. She wasn't a baby, but her mommy and daddy did take care of her, because she was too little to do it all on her own. "Then when it's not a baby can I?" She didn't have the concept of time well enough yet to understand that it would be a couple of turns before that happened. She thought it would go by quickly, and soon she could play with Cairenn's dragon. She didn't like that purple only went to boys. "I'm a girl." This was said with clear disappointment written on her face. "I can't have a Shirath?" She had made the connection, at least, that because Cairenn was a girl, and she was a girl, they both might not have one. That made her sad--of course being a child, being told you could not have something made you want it more, or at least sad.

Then she was being tickled, and squealed and squirmed, momentarily lost in her bout of laughter so that she forgot she was sad. She had not, however, forgotten her question about the purples, pointing to the purple on the sands. "I like it!" She announced this with a bright smile, but then a frown, as her brows knit closer together. She liked him. Why did she have to be a girl and not get one of him? Roselle was speaking to her again, though, and she grew quiet as she listened. "I want her to get a dragon," she said, as if wanting that was enough to make it so. She pouted a little. If Cairenn got a dragon she could play with it when it grew up! If she didn't, then she might be waiting a long time. Sia at least knew it was a long time since the last hatching--it had been forever ago. In her short turns, it certainly felt like it had been a lifetime ago. Still, she was soon distracted by counting the eggs. It was hard when they kept hatching! She tried, but then lowered her hand, solemnly looking up at Roselle. "They keep breaking. I counted...I think seven. Mommy is it seven?" There were dragonets on the sand and she could not possibly keep up with how many eggs had hatched, but thought she had counted seven eggs--of course this did not include the dragons! Then she heard the same voice as everyone else, and she gave a little start. Was she hearing things? "Did you hear him too, mommy?" The question was hesitant. She knew she wasn't hearing things!

@Blot

Kali

"No telling until it's all said and done," Kali agreed, though her eyes were now on the sands. There were a lot of dragons hatching out at once, and she figured it was a good bet to keep an eye on them. The green was lovely, no doubt about it. Then there was a burgundy who...shells, she'd never seen the like. It had kicked a girl in the stomach, knocking her a few feet back! The girl seemed not too much the worse for wear, and then...what in Faranth's name was going on? Looked like they were sparring. That's all she could make of it. It made absolutely zero sense, but that was what it looked like. Were the dragonets a little odd, or was it just her?It was her first hatching, but the behavior of the hatchlings had her a little befuddled. Amusing,
certainly. Expected, not at all. She was thinking they'd all have to be on their guard in case they were nearly mauled. Yet besides the green lightly nipping the one girl and the burgundy seeming to try and box the other...

She almost didn't catch Kida's words, so engrossed in the oddities around her was she. Yet she registered them, and gave a nod, and a small smile. "Aye, seems so," she replied, and then in regards to that near-perfectly proportioned green, "She's lovely all right. Think maybe she knows it?" A wink, and a smirk. Pretty people often knew they were pretty--but what about this little stunner? "She's a right stunner, that one." It was truth, and there was no doubting it. She glanced up in the direction of the stands--there was the brown, headed on up.
He knocked someone a bit, and then went on down. Yet there was another one going up soon after, a little black. He seemed to stands Impress--that person must've gotten a surprise they'd not bargained for! Well, it was like it was meant to be, so she was sure it'd all turn out just right.

The voice that cut into her mind boomed loudly, and her eyes widened. She glanced at Kida,
then towards the eggs. That voice was certainly impressive. Was it a king, or sub-king? Did smaller males have so loud a voice? Was it even one of the hatchlings? She couldn't be sure,
but was certainly waiting with baited breath.

@Lee

Lueka

The hatching was just one surprise after another. He smiled back at Kolbi, but the other boy fell silent and so did he. His heart was racing, pure excitement, as he watched dragon after dragon hatch out, and their antics. Three had Impressed before he even knew it, and so many more were on the sands! It was hard to keep track, but he did his best. The burgundy he'd momentarily mistaken for red was actually fighting in an odd manner with a rough and tumble looking candidate he'd seen in lessons. She had gotten kicked in the gut, and he had cringed,
wondering if she was all right. Still, she got up and then took on a stance like she meant to fight the burgundy right back! Admiration for her momentarily, before he was back to trying to watch everything going on.

"Is it just me, or is this hatching crazy? I mean, awesome, but a little crazy?" This aside, to Kolbi, though quietly because he knew they weren't really supposed to chat--even if it seemed most people were, anyhow. He could barely get his bearings. It was a lot, and then,
then the voice boomed into his head, and he gave a start as he looked back to the eggs. Who had said that? None of the dragons on the sands, surely...? No adult dragon, he thought, might go on interrupting the hatching, would they? So was it the eggs? That was a voice that was no small sounding creature! He had no clue what it was, but he watched the hatchlings still on the sands,
and the eggs. A thrill of excitement rushed through him--this hatching, so far, was pure awesome! No real injuries, but there were a lot of eggs left, yet. He was trying to balance common sense with the fact he was enjoying this experience in a big, big way. The green had been a real spitfire but she hadn't really hurt anyone much. What if not all of them were like that,
though? Every one of these didn't seem so bad--the burgundy was a strange one, with his antics, but that wasn't the kind of thing he knew he needed to really worry much about. No, it was the rest, the unknown. He was so excited he almost couldn't be worried, but he knew he ought to be cautious, anyhow.
PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: May 19 2017, 06:14 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

2348 Posts
1197 Marks

Shard it. G'dan knew that Sebol had caught more out of that look than the smith had wanted, and he cursed it silently even as he focused on settling Arendel down. It figured that the first sharding time that Sebol had actually saw him instead of just looking at him, that it would be when he was feeling the most like a failure that he had in a while.

"It doesn't seem fair to us," he agreed quietly. "But Aren, he can't stay immersed in missing Delilah to the exclusion of everything else forever. That's not living. If whoever that man is, helps him be alive again so he can face the world, I'm for it. He deserves to be happy. Just like you two do." The greenrider squeezed the lad's shoulder, more gently this time. "Just put it out of your mind for now. You've got bigger things to pay attention to."

It is good to see you, Wyisselieth. Prith inclined her head to the purple, then tilted it to direct one whirling blue-green eye at his rider. After a moment's consideration, she nudged her nose in the general direction of G'dan and his company.

Gess offered a shy smile to Ev'ion as he arrived. "Good morning, ah, Ev'ion. This is Arendel, and his friend Nymeria." He nodded at Arendel's words, a bit more of a smile coming to his face. There were plenty of times in his memory where Arendel had been all too ready to disown him, too, because he wasn't the best and brightest of people to be around, either. It was nice to have someone's appreciation, even if it was grudgingly given.

And then a dragonet ventured up into the Stands and picked Aren's friend.

"Congratulations, Nymeria," he told her softly. He shook his head a little and gestured downwards. "You'd better go on down there. He'll be hungry, and the weyrlingmaster will want to have you close. You're her responsibility now, and she's the one that will get in trouble if anything happens to you or..." he paused long enough to get the little one's name, "Echith. Don't worry, I'm sure Aren will catch up with you soon after."

@Ruin @RhiaBlack @Ruriko

A hatching was a happening, even at Dalibor. And Xellarik was back. That meant that N'oir had once again taken to making sure the harper had attire available that was clean, wrinkle-free, and suitably stylish for the Weyrharper. He hadn't been able to track Xel down before the hatching started, though, so he was a little concerned. But he picked his way through the stands, looking about anxiously, until - ah, there he was. With W'rone and Aiechu. And... well, he deserved some fussing, but at least he wasn't currently drunk. He'd take his wins where he got them. Even if Xel was the reason he'd be grey before he was thirty.

A grin of relief lit his face, and N'oir ventured up to claim a spot on the other side of W'rone. "Found you." He offered a somewhat more tentative grin to Ivy. "Um, hi." Look, what else did you say to a pretty lady like that? He left the woman-wooing to Xel for a reason. Nudging W'rone with his shoulder, he smiled. "Don't tempt fate. Look, there's already at least one up in the Stands. Remember Keth's hatching, with Is'mael?" What a mess. Not one he expected any repeats of, either.

@Lee @Leo @Ivy

PMAIM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: May 19 2017, 06:30 PM
Wingrider

138 Posts
330 Marks

Now that the hatching had truly begun, it was almost overwhelming to keep track of everything that was going on. Another egg began to hatch, when suddenly the aggressive green, who seemed to have calmed down a bit at last, Impressed at last. The distraction of the green Impressing kept Cairenn from noticing the mobile egg until suddenly a croon of worry called her attention to the fact that one of the smaller eggs was actually walking around, hatched but not open yet, the dragonet inside apparently shy.

Then, a red suddenly emerged from her shell... no, wait, not a red... a burgundy. Cairenn sighed a bit in relief at that point, knowing the violence reds often brought to hatchings... this hatching had already been violent enough for her like. Then, a blue emerged, and by his reaction, the egg hidden beneath the sands had emerged as well, and whatever dragonet lay hidden beneath the grains enjoyed assaulting their siblings... which seemed to be a theme in this hatching.

Then, the tall purple egg in the center of the clutch hatched, and Cairenn's hand went to cover her mouth in shock as the perfectly poised green emerged, the girl's eyes locked on stunning creature to the point that she totally missed the hatching of the green's purple sibling, only noticing them once the green stopped in front of him. Then, Cairenn's awe turned to amusement as the purple began to make his strange "song", and then the green began her graceful dance around him... whoever bonded those two might have a close bond, indeed, if this was any indicator.

Distracted by the green and the purple, Cairenn did not notice the brown amble off into the stands, though her attention was drawn away from the pair when the burgundy proceeded to start bullying his checkerboard black sibling, treating the poor dragonet like a soccer ball and striking a few Candidates... Cairenn stood her ground, not wanting to draw any attention, and was lucky enough to avoid any contact from the hapless creature as he was batted from Candidate to Candidate. The burgundy then began to act aggressively towards one of the other female Candidates, and Cairenn braced herself for violence, not noticing the black skulk off into the stands to Impress His there.

Cairenn had to admit, this hatching was certainly a sight more chaotic than the one she had attended at Telgar... that hatching was downright calm compared to this one so far!
PMEmail
^
Boo
 Posted: May 19 2017, 07:13 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

2963 Posts
1015 Marks

NB: For this post Any names that are bolded are bolded for reference, their names have not actually been said aloud.

Cackling laughter echoed across the sands. The same as many a candidate had heard in their head during the touching. An iron and yellow seemed to have taken up a sitting position at the front of the eggs, foreclaws resting on an egg shell as they chattered between the two of them.
This is a very special night, a very special night indeed. I am your host Koath and this is my co-host Kookath. Kookath, how are you today?
Never better Koath, never better and boy isn’t this an exciting night, the night each of these dragons meets their person for life.
That it is, we had a few earlybirds today including Loriketh, our dear sister, Tamanith and little Echith up in the stands. I must say, we were all a little surprised about that one, weren’t we Kookath?
Right you are Koath, right you are but he has made a strong choice today. I can see that our mate Woba over there is making his way through the candidates now. What many don’t know about Woba is that he has a path he will follow today and OH there we are. Right over that candidate (Zaephor) @Catsitta, that one’s gotta hurt too but sometimes a dragon’s gotta do what a dragon’s gotta do and sometimes that involves knocking over a candidate, doesn’t it Koa?
Right you are, I mean you hate to see it folks but Woba definitely has a way of his own. Now let’s take a look at our boxing friend over here. It seems that he’ll pick a fight with anyone, he’s certainly a rough and tumble kinda dragon. He throws a left and right hook and Ooooh in with a kick again. Tell ya what, I wouldn’t fancy being on the receiving end of one of his kicks.
Too right, mate. Let’s turn to our correspondent out in the field. Byth, what do you think about this?
The blue at the front of the clutch who had been perfectly happy with being ignored, thank you very much, looked around with horror at his brothers, shaking his head as the silence stretched on. The two larger males looked upon the blue with eagerness. The blue shook his head ever so slightly and then swiftly hopped away towards the candidates.
It seems we are having some difficulties reaching Byth but I can see that Quoth has joined us now. Quoth, what news from the other eggs.
News? You boys are making mischief aren’t you? Don’t you bother them they're thinking and you should be finding your partners, I know you know where they are.
Ah she’s always got our best interests at heart that Quoth but Quoth, if we know where they are there’s no point hurrying is there? It’s not time for a dinner break just yet.
The pink looked at them sternly but seemed to decide it wasn’t worth her time to continue arguing.
Looks like Woba is just about headed off the sands, look at him go! Climbing back into the stands. And there goes another one, down for the count. He has knocked that little girl clean over (Asha) @Zane and just as suddenly he is back on the sands, walking in a circle around the back of the candidates. He’s come back now for another girl (Seiyr) @Ruriko. What an unbelievable stunt and next he has stopped to run into yet one more girl (Morrigan) @Zane that is his path completed folks or as completed as it can get. It’s all over now.
Not many would know this but Woba has an incredible memory and every single one of those people he remembered from just a few days ago.
Too right Kooka, too right. He’s a dragon on a mission and it seems like he is ready for this mission to end. The question is; who will he choose? Looks like he is headed towards the males, he’s looking, he’s walking amongst them. He stops oop false alarm (Kyzekeidon) @RhiaBlack oh but this time, this time I think he has- yes! He has found his match.
The crowd goes wild! Look at that a perfect match that I ever did see. Let’s allow them a moment, shall we?

The brown dragon in question, Woba as he might have come to be known looked from his two brothers to his chosen candidate.

My instincts told me I needed to walk that path. Sorry it took me a while. The brown seemed totally oblivious to the trouble it had caused and the mess it had made, looking up at Aydran with a rather bemused expression.
Everyone thought I was red. You must shorten your name. What do you choose? But wait. I have something to do first.
And the brown suddenly turned and sprinted at an incredible speed out to the Weyrling feeding area to attempt to run right into Rylin @Zane.
Gotta finish my path...

user posted image

Brown
Brown Wobath - Aydran (A'dran, Ay'an, A'an)

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Wobath has particular peculiarities. There is a path he will walk and this is the path he will take every day. Should someone be in his way, he barely notices as he just about barrels them over on his way through or, alternatively, tries to tunnel under or around them in some way. He doesn't even know he is doing it and when questioned, he might mention something about ‘instincts’ and funnily enough, Wobath seems to have a remarkable ability to just find the right way home. In the air, because he can not fly the exact same path every day, he will grow accustomed to the sudden changes and spontaneity of Thread fighting. That said, he will remember formation flying with no problems.

His movements are slow and carefully considered just as with his thoughts. Wobath will consider each situation calmly and thoughtfully before he presents his own thoughts on the matter. Some might consider the way he speaks almost political despite the fact that he holds little interests in the petty squabbles of those in leadership. However, this in itself would make him a fantastic leader. In situations where others might be arguing, Wobath will step in with a carefully measured comment which may have the intended effect of giving pause to the arguing parties. Although, that said, he is not immune to arguing with others.

He is headstrong and tough overall with a streak of stubbornness to boot. Sometimes he is rather unchangeable in his attitude, refusing to cede ground. This certainly ties into his peculiarities. He believes in particular moralities and will not be swayed to think otherwise. He is not as black and white as Oath and will at least judge things based on circumstances. So for example; it is wrong to hurt someone and if someone hurts another they must be punished. But if the circumstances are such that the person who started the fight did so to protect themselves from being tormented, it is instead the other person who must face judgement.

Wobath is ‘round’ looking and on the larger side of Browns in terms of weight but in terms of length, he is actually shorter than average. This does not affect his flying in the slightest as he knows the shape of his body and the ways he must manoeuvre.

Wobath will not require super frequent feeding throughout his lifetime. He prefers to eat early in the morning or late at night and always takes the exact same path. He will become a little confused if the herdbeast or wherry is not in the exact same spot every time. He will eat slowly which is part of the reason he eats early in the morning.

Adult Size: 41’

Alrighty and we are back now. Wasn’t that great to see.
Brings a tear to the eye, it does.
Absolutely. Looks like Byth has made some movement amongst the candidates, he’s walking around the blokes at the moment and OH he will be upset about that. Looks like he’s accidentally hopped over a candidate’s foot (Yonthevro) and is that blood?
You’re right, that is definitely an injury. Poor Byth, he will be trying to fix that one as much as he can but, well, it’s really up to the healers isn’t it.
They haven’t had much work to do, have they. Roiath @Raining what news from the healer camp? I believe Tamanith is content to carry her face injury but it’s hard to tell with a dragoness such as her.
Indeed it is. We cross now to Byth again. Byth, what do you have to say for yourself?
The blue looked around once again with horror at his brothers as he attempted to help Yonthevro with the injury. He was very sorry, he hadn’t meant to tread on the candidate, he was focusing on something else. Someone else who needed him. No one had touched his egg that needed him but he could feel them somewhere. The blue crooned to the candidate and then hopped away as quickly as he could, trying to dive into the sand and hide himself.
Looks like we might have lost Byth again. Not to matter. Let’s cross to our boxer out there. Got anything to say?
The burgundy stopped in its attempt to fight Ruane and turned around, hopping quickly to his brothers. It stared at them for a moment and then kicked the iron right in the chest, drawing blood and charging away, back to the candidates. This time he went to the males and decided to challenge one of them. His chosen opponent was Kyzekeidon.
The iron and yellow were silent for a moment, looking at one another.

GOOD GRIEF he kicked you right in the chest, you’ve seen it here first folks, do not mess with a grumpy burgundy. We’re going to take a short break to handle this mess, we’ll be right back folks.

The burgundy raised up again and started hopping around the son of the Weyrleader, foreclaws held up near his chest.
Come on mate, I know you can fight. Let’s go.
He threw a couple of punches in the direction of the candidate, aiming to hit him on the shoulders.

Meanwhile, the blue was pleased to note that he was no longer the centre of attention, he looked around, nose twitching and then hopped to the edge of the sands, looking up. Echith had gotten up there. How had he done that? Yet he was determined and wriggled his body, ready. Ready. YEP! He had done it. He scrambled up into the stands and then looked around.
Oh no Xe’rik you have a terrible headache, we should take you to the healers right away.

He hopped along the seats and eventually came to the aged-out harper, bringing himself into a small ball as he looked up at his partner.
I waited for you, waited a long time. Well… maybe not I am not sure. But I did not hatch out until I knew you would be here. Here I am for you. Let’s get you fixed up.

user posted image

Blue Byth - Xellarik Xe’rik [#5a676f]

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
If someone needs a favour, Byth is the dragon to ask. He is endearingly helpful and thoughtful of other people’s needs. To this end he is highly empathic and tightly ties his thoughts to that of his bonded. However, Byth is somewhat easy to ignore as he is not one to complain not even when he is hungry. When he is having difficulties of his own, he finds them hard to discuss with others, even his bonded. At least when it comes to his bonded, it has far more to do with the fact that Byth does not know how to put his feelings to words. Instead, he might send wave after wave of emotion to show his bonded how he is feeling.

Byth is highly accepting of others and their faults. Even when he is wronged he finds a way to forgive someone even if that might mean he loses something in the long run. He might be a bit more cautious the next time around but he is certainly loathe to write someone off as a lost cause for this reason and believes everyone can better themselves.

Through all of this, Byth takes friendship seriously and chose his bonded based on this fact. He is certainly a self-sacrificing dragon. In spite of the fact that he takes friendship so seriously, Byth has difficulties actually reaching out to others. He is shy and often feels as though he has said the wrong thing. Therefore, he has a tendency to speak and then immediately try to hide away as soon as someone pays attention to him. Even with his bonded, he sometimes has doubts about what he has said to them. Byth sometimes frets about upsetting people with his words. That said, he is also most likely to try to step in and mediate an argument in his quiet manner. Although self-conscious himself, he will always encourage a friend in every situation and compliment them without irony or mockery. He is a genuine and honest friend, seeing the best in all people/dragons.

Just because he is loathe to speak does not mean that this quiet dragon has nothing to say. He is smart and particularly gifted when it comes to dealing with people. He would likely make a wonderful teacher or Search rider once he has reached maturity. He is a dragon who loves to learn and takes great interest in the concept of stories. Byth has a great understanding of and love for morality tales and metaphors. Sometimes he will even speak in metaphors.

He is able to make himself look small. His headknobs are slightly larger than what is considered normal making him have an almost ‘rabbit’ look. He has a long tail and slightly shorter fore legs. Byth likes to hop as he eats his food, often around in a circle. It is almost as though he is excited to eat but will occasionally get self-conscious when eating in front of others.

Back on the sands, the green seemed to have stopped dancing, watching the purple instead who was… Really not that good at dancing and in fact looked a little more like a chicken. She was polite and thoughtful but raised herself up tall, flapping her wings again. Well, there would be time to teach him, she was sure of that. She turned around as the other small egg hatched out another black. This one had a deep blood red muzzle and white patches on its wings. Then the lying down egg at the front hatched out a blue.

Each practiced step was taken as she walked around the eggs, watching movement. Then another egg hatched, the misshapen egg revealing a deep red dragonet. It was finally free and anyone looking closely would see that its wings were tiny. Far too small to be able to carry a dragon such as this. The dragon lay exhausted on its side for a while and the green chose to step away. She did not want to have its ire directed upon her.

This left two eggs, the yellow and blue. Every other dragon was now on the sands. The purple was still singing his strange song oblivious to the fact that the green had walked away. He certainly seemed content to be the centre of attention for the moment. Especially since his brothers had paused their broadcast for the moment. Now his song would be all anyone could hear!

Now, the spot where the buried dragonet lay moved, sand shifting as the dragonet within revealed a green hide. Its mouth opened slightly displaying ridiculously sharp teeth and it lunged at the pink dragonet who had strayed too close. The lovely pink squealed as it grabbed her back leg and tried to pull her closer. It was the red dragonet to the rescue as it jumped to its feet and ran over to the larger dragonet, using its large back legs and sharp claws to just about trample the dragon. The pink, Quoth was free but ichor flowed from the cut. Together, they moved away from the viridian who began crawling very quickly on his belly towards the candidates, a hissing sound emanating from him. So… Dragons were not food. What about these ones? There was a natural order here and he needed to figure it out. Why, then, had they presented these two leggers to them before if not because they were food?

Oh dear… Looks like Gan is on the move...
This drama allowed the last two eggs to break shell with very little fanfare, the blue egg ending up with two foreclaws sticking out of it whilst the yellow, a back leg.

user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Lee
 Posted: May 19 2017, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Ruriko
For the first few sentences, Kolbi could only stand in shock, jaw slack in baffled astonishment.

But then, slowly, unbidden, a smile stretched, and tugged, and grew, until it threatened to split his face.

Had he been grumpy that dragons kept their thoughts to themselves and one other? Gleefully entertained, Kolbi put a hand over his fluttering, tickled heart.

Nah, he was good now.

Dragons were great.

Well as long as he wasn't getting punched or gnawed on by one, but hey, so far so good on that front, and if he got some battle scars that could be sexy, right? ‘Course, the trick would be making J’mi match…

He glanced over at Lueka, unbothered by the rules, “For ‘round here? Seems par, from what I've seen,” his smile turned into more of a smirk, as he watched the tangle of little dragonets, viridian and burgundy in particular, “Watch yer shins, yeah? Some of ‘em sure seem riled up.

--

Up in the ledges, an identical expression to Kolbi’s first was being worn by a green rider, though it remained rather than changed. Ooooh they seem so nice! Do you think we can be friends?

J’mi blinked, “Erm, maybe after weyrlinghood,” he hedged. Shells but they were chatty! But at least his brother looked like he was having fun. Even if, for some reason, he got a bad feeling about the shades of smile on the other boy’s face.

--
@Ruin @Leo @Ivy @Rii

Oh, shells! Company.

Immediately, Chu lifted his head, boy band mask in place as he smiled brightly at the cyanrider, “Ivy, was it? A lovely name for a love--” Aiechu stared in horror as the (adorable) little blue appeared, and its eyes burst into rainbows. “No, no! None of that! No! You...you lot, stop it!” it wasn't that he wasn't happy for Xel and the rest, of course he was, but, he moaned, head sinking into his hands. If he was the only s Harding Harper left in the shelling Weyr, his pitiful moan wavered, “Shards I'm going to have to do so much WORK!

Despair etched onto his features, but, well, he was too lazy to rail mightily against his fate, and accepted it quickly, with glum resignation. A hand reached up to squeeze his old friend’s shoulder, and a true smile summoned to his lips.

Ironically, for they were the sorts of people gifted with words, he rather figured they weren't needed then.

Besides, he wasn't sure which of them would need to be wished luck more.

He returned to pouting, woebegone expression, wounded and betrayed, turned to N'oir and W'rone. "I'm blaming the two of you for this directly."
^
Blot
 Posted: May 19 2017, 08:23 PM
Candidatemaster

229 Posts
783 Marks

Kida’s eyes flicked towards Kali, as if asking ‘Can you hear this too?’. She was a bit stunned. A voice filtered into her mind and she sat stock still. Blinking, Kidanyr shook her head, as if to shake the voice loose. But it persisted, and was soon joined by another cackling voice. She glanced in confusion at the other candidates, and then to the dragons on the sand. Two of them had to be the perpetrators, but which two? Well. She had an idea. Two of them seemed content just to chill out at the front, with their paws on an egg.

Sillies.

A smile curled on her lips, this was better than bloodshed, at least. So she was content to listen to the commentary. Ah, so they were Koath and Kookath, the pink was Quoth? The brown was… Woba? Woba-what? Well, she would just have to stick with Wobath. This seemed like the first time she’s been to a hatching where she knew names before they impressed. It was… Interesting, and intriguing. Kida laughed a bit as they continued on, after all, they were funny! It was impressive really! They were funny right out of the shell! Where as she had to put in extra effort to be amusing.

When Woba, the brown, impressed, she just lit up. Good! He seemed like a fine, stalwart little fellow. If a bit odd. But well, Kida was finding that every one of Couineth’s children were a bit odd… Not that she minded! Variety was the spice of life, or so she heard, and at least their excentricities didn’t seem too bad.

The commentators seemed to think it was just as sweet as she did. She didn’t get much time to dwell on those light feeling before they were commentating again. She had to admit, this might be the funnest hatching she had been a part of., and she couldn’t wait to hear what happened next!

Except oh no! Someone was hurt and the poor blue who did it didn’t even seem malicious. She sent the stormy-colored dragonet a little frown, as if to say ‘I’m sorry’ or something of that nature. But well, he was on the boy’s side, so she couldn’t reassure him at all. The boys side just seemed to have all the luck today! Or well, bad luck. Especially since that burgundy had taken to boxing with one of the boys. Kida just sighed and shook her head. Didn’t these babies know they were supposed to impress?

The little blue managed to wander off and impress to… Another stands member! Boy, the stands were getting a workout today. She giggled a bit, hiding her smile behind a hand. She didn’t hold any anger towards those who impressed without expecting. There was something sweet about those impressions. Someone gained a lifemate that they didn’t even know they wanted!

Suddenly, the eggs started hatching at a rapid rate. Where once were four dragonets, now there were… Seven? Oh wait, eight with the addition from the misshapen green egg. Oooh. She peered curiously at the deep red dragonet as it lay there, letting out a soft coo. Poor thing must have been exhausted! She could only imagine how tiring it was to fight through it’s shell.

The two large eggs were even shaking and rattling as their contents struggled to break free. The sands shifted, and whatever had been lurking was exposed. Green! But far too big to be just a green, her eyes widened as it tried to take a chunk out of it’s sibling, and she mentally chided it. The red, thankfully, saved the poor little thing before anything worse than a scratch could happen.

Kida suddenly wasn’t sure she wanted to be on the sands.

---

Rayiet liked this hatching! The dragons spoke to him! At first he thought they were just talking to him, but he quickly noticed the stupefied look on other faces, and decided that no, they weren’t just talking to him. Oh well! They were still funny. He liked them, in fact, he liked them a lot. So, like all things he liked, he waved at them. He wanted to send Wysp to them, to let them know how funny they were, but well. That was a terrible idea.

He had been so wrapped up in the commentary, he didn’t even notice the brown making his way towards them. Of course, once it got closer, he did. And well, Rayiet expected it to maybe side step them! But instead he seemed adamant on climbing through the stands. He even knocked Asha over!! Wysp chirped angrily at the brown, puffing himself up on Rayiet’s shoulder, but she boy quickly silenced him with a flick of his wrist. Instead, he leaned over and offered Asha a hand.

She would feel a slight questioning feeling and then a dull pain sensation, like a remembered wound, and some questioning. After all, Rayiet wanted to know if she was alright.

@Zane - Asha

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: May 19 2017, 09:05 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

B'er caught the drop in gaze from Sebol; he had been watching his new weyrmate much more closely since they'd arrived, especially since he'd caught that look from Aren, and at the look of devastation that crossed Sebol's face, B'er leaned over and gently pressed his lips to the other man's knuckles, lifting them with the hand on the other's knee.

"Hey. No fretting, all right? It's new to a lot of people. A lot of them aren't going to expect it, because of your late wife. But I'm not going to let them chastise you. Not now, not ever, understand? You're mine, and I'm going to keep you as long as possible for both of us, and that's that. Nobody else. If they won't accept what we are, and who you've become, then it's their loss. They'll get over it and accept it, or they'll move on. It's time to live for you, and for Sesk, and not worry about what other people think, no matter how related to you they are."

B'er wasn't ignorant. He knew Sebol had children with Delilah, he was a Rider, so she had been, as well, and one learned where people were when it came to Threadfall, just as Handlers knew what went on when it came to Prides. Not to mention the boy looked remarkably like his father.

The narration was somewhat annoying, but it wasn't as if anyone could tell them to shut up. Besides, it was light-hearted enough that B'er felt at-odds even being grumpy about it, so he left it alone. Rlyeth blocked it out, largely, which helped considerably. He tightened his arm around Fisher in another hug; if her statement about the man falling asleep in her bed was meant to inspire jealousy, it earned none. His sister didn't seem upset about it, and she was adult enough now to have a Bonded, so like his own personal life, hers was hardly any of his business.

"If he, or anyone else, gets annoying and you want to be rid of them, and Ijreth can't deal with that, let me know. Otherwise, I don't care who you take to bed, long as they treat you well." B'er shrugged. He had bigger things to deal with, at the moment, both literally and potentially.

Ev'ion's smile brightened at Aren's remarks initially, then shrugged softly.

"I'm sure he'll come around in time, you seem like a remarkably smart young man, he'd be a pretty big fool to stay out of your life, unless of course you're cross enough to not want him there. We all do foolish things sometimes, part of what family is. Knowing someone's half-cracked a little bit, and sticking with them no matter what, right?" He winked, then the smile broadened both at Aren's laughter, and at the appearance of the Black.

"Well then, look at that! Looks like your friend circle got a little bit bigger, now, didn't it? And G'dan is right, the both of you," he designated Nym and the Black she had bonded to, "Need to head down there. She'll want to have everyone accounted for, and if I remember correctly, some of your first lessons happen down there, right after bonding. So it's pretty important, right?"

B'er watched the exchange, nudging Sebol gently when the new transfer settled down a little closer to G'dan than most people would usually sit. A small smirk curled his lips, but he left whatever was shared potentially between them, unsaid. He looked back to Fisher.

"You did the best you could, that's all I can ask for, Fish. Don't worry about it. I'm better now, and you and H'ler helped more than you think you did, I can bet on it. Just feeding Mew helped a ton, I wasn't in any position to do it. So don't worry a bit, you did more than you think you did, you were also still a Weyrling then, too, so there was only so much you COULD do. Anything else, I wasn't going to risk your bond with Ijreth over it."

Z'dyn's body tensed, and Keivhyn - whose eyes were glued on his half-brother - pointed.

"Papa look! That baby's tryin' to box with Ky!"
"I see 'em. I'm watchin'. Hush up, now."
"SOCK 'IM IN THE MOU--"
"Keivhyn."

Z'dyn's hand clamped over his youngest's mouth, and he growled with all the promise of discipline. Keiv protested, and Z'dyn's eyes hardened. The eight-turn-old knew that look, and he huffed through his nose, before Z'dyn's thumbtip tickled his nostrils. Keiv dissolved into giggles, and Z'dyn tickled him to make him laugh harder, before he ruffled his hair.

"No shoutin'. Y'irk Couineth an' we're all'n trouble. Pa's got important people lookin', gotta behave, right?"

Kevihyn sighed.

"I gueeeeeessss. I still think he should clock him one, Papa. Lookit 'im!"

Kyzekeidon had largely been ignoring most of the goings-on, up until the play-by-play in his head, and the Red, and then the Burgundy's antics; well, mostly. He watched the dragonet kick one of the other Candidates, whose name escaped him, but largely maintained a wary state until the baby dragon started to move again.

This time, to the boys.
And then, drew himself up in front of him.
Ky raised a brow, crossing his arms, but he dodged to evade the punches from the Burgundy's paws, lifting his hands to use them to deflect incoming paws, too - with the seasoned skill of a boy who'd had more fights than he cared to admit to. Blow after intended blow was deflected or sidestepped and backstepped; much as the temper in him wanted to rise, he kept it in check. They were babies, and he didn't want to hurt them. More for the trouble he'd get into, but also because Ky wasn't keen on picking on things relatively smaller than himself.

"We're not allowed to touch you. We'll get in trouble, and I don't want to get yelled at."

Z'dyn shifted, setting Ky aside, and pointing to the bench.

"Y'stay right there. Don't y'move 'til I get back, an' no shoutin'r gonna be chores fer a sevenday."
"Yes, Papa."

Keiv swung his legs, Jubilee perched on his knees, watching Hers. The younger of Z'dyn's boys knew better than to let her go; if she suspected any incoming harm to Hers, the Stoat would be down there in a flash, and even Keiv knew she stood no chance against a dragonet.

Z'dyn moved down through the Stands, presence alone usually doing a share of moving bodies for him, since Keiv had hollered at his half-brother. Iron and man were one in the same - it was almost frightening, how attuned one was with the other. As Z'dyn migrated down to the Wall, Baihujinth rose from where he'd been laying by Couineth, and made his way over at a steady walk, until he settled on his haunches behind his wayward, ruffian son. At the same time, Z'dyn had reached the Wall, and leaned on it, peering down at the Burgundy, directly behind Kyzekeidon. He said nothing - sharp blue eyes relayed everything that words didn't have to.

Baihujinth's spiced breath blew gently down against tiny headknobs, before the Iron's tail slithered across to put an unspoken barrier between not Kyzekeidon and his adversary, but between the Wall and Ky - and somewhat, with the man the Mountain was bonded to.

You have been out of your shell some time, my son. Is it not a good time to choose Yours, and then fill your stomach, and save your sparring for another time? There will be plenty of time to assert your position in this Weyr, when you have another to stand beside you. As I have. Alone you are strong, but with another, you are stronger. Go.

Ky noticed the movement of the one the narrators called 'Gan', and instantly he felt the nerves.

Z'dyn's fingers laced together in front of him, elbows propped against the wall, eyes shifting from his son and the dragonet that wanted a piece of him, to the quickly-moving sandbeast. His eyes narrowed.

Bai.
A rumble answered. That wordless 'I've got it, relax', but Baihujinth didn't intervene, not yet. There was no particular need to.

@Ruin (Sebol, Aren, Fisher), @Rii (G'dan), @Boo (Burgundy Beeb), @Ruriko (Nym)

PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: May 19 2017, 09:15 PM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

"Caught," he confessed with a smirk, lifting his hands as N'oir slid into a seat. They were all basically complete now, save for Is'mael who seemed to be busier and busier every passing day. It'd been a little over two turns since Ish had Impressed, three since N'oir, and nearly four since W'rone. If they didn't know by now that Aiechu and he would go without a dragon partner, then he coudn't help them. Like he'd told the Candidate by the lake, Impression was not something he had ever expected...but had he wanted it? He'd never thought about it until Vilane basically accused him of hoping for it. Wouldn't it have made things simpler? Harper Hall couldn't own a Dragonrider. Vilane had been so consumed by the colour he would ride and the responsibility it would afford him, but Xellarik? Anything would cut the cables that bound him so long as it could fly Fall.

The Harper sighed softly, finding that he was irritable and uncomfortable, the most of which was probably brought on by his hangover and the odd night he'd had. How could he have just crawled into someone's weyr without knowing who they were? Had he done it before? Undoubtedly. He typically woke up beside women he hardly remembered, the difference was that usually they'd slept together so they had something in common. He'd never just wandered in and passed out where he hadn't been welcome before. He had thought he was doing better, that was why he'd returned, but he found himself annoyed by the constant pressure of being surrounded by people who were too busy for him. With the exception of Aiechu, who was too sleepy for him.

He pulled a long draw on the klah skin he had tucked against his leg and peered out into the sands, trying to ignore the growing harsh daylight beginning to pour in through the open maw of the Hatching Grounds. The glowlight didn't pain his eyes, but the dawn did. Then voices begain burrowing into the softness between his ears and he groaned, dropping his head to his chin and covering his face with both hands. It was the dragons. He'd never attended a hatching with dragons quite so chatty. They were making sure basically everyone knew their name, which was the complete opposite of most hatchings where only the Rider knew at first. "Anyone writing this down?" It was more of a whine than usual, and if he still remembered that Ivy was there, he didn't show it.

Maybe the charade was up.

Maybe he was tired.

Maybe he and the woman had connected on a different level and she was involved in their charade. Unlikely, but it could have happened. It didn't really matter, unless the boys physically dragged him from the Stands making five times the scene of him sitting here complaining near a Dragonrider, they were going to have to see it through. Xellarik didn't even bother looking up to see who was doing the talking. The firelizards would show him later, the four of them combining all their views and experiences into something he could sift through for the records after the hatching was over and he was alone in the records room. Well, mostly alone. Someone had put a feline in there, one of the crazy ones from that insane Yellowriding Lady Holder. He'd thought maybe it would have disappeared when she had gone South, but it hadn't.

The voices were nagging. He could hear people laughing up and down and all around the cavern, the Stands, even a few Candidates seemed to be entertained, but not him. It was too much, too invasive, too chipper. As it went on the throbbing in his head grew and expanded until it felt like knives were sawing in and out of his skull through his eyes. This had been a mistake. He could have easily sent the firelizards and let Aiechu do the work, well whatever work he'd have been awake for. The drone of the crowd around him seemed to fade to make way for the hatchlings. Three voices, four? He couldn't even tell anymore, they all blended together and he realized what hell a Hear's All must live in.

Oh no Xe’rik you have a terrible headache, we should take you to the healers right away.

"Of course I have a sharding headache and you know why, and you know the healers can't help, why are you even saying that?" He felt a twinge of despair ripple through him before it faded, what an odd sort of thing to feel, he wasn't sad he was annoyed. He peered between his fingers to try and figure out which of them had said such a ludicrous thing to him, but they weren't even looking at him. He sighed and closed his eyes again, trying to bask in the sudden silence of the hatchlings ceasing their seemingly endless drivel. I waited for you, waited a long time. Well… Xellarik peered through his fingers again, still no one was speaking. They were looking down and Chu was already beginning to complain loudly. ...maybe not I am not sure. But I did not hatch out until I knew you would be here. Here I am for you. Let’s get you fixed up.

Hatch?

Xellarik's eyes dropped down to the bundle of a Blue, and what a bundle he was. The Harper in him could not help but compare him to the things he had already encountered in his life. He was balled up, his wings curled neatly like paper fans, his tail tucked beneath his body and wrapped further around his legs, but Xellarik could see that he was roughly the size of a gold firelizard. Chu was still talking and as the Harper watched he saw the Blue's head turn to face his long-time friend, the facets of his eyes spinning wildly and lacing through with bright sickly yellows. "Wait," Xel warned his friend, reaching out to catch hold of it, but it was too late. He was hit and damn near felled by a wave of despair so poignant he thought it would kill him, and the hatchling was already apologizing I should go but Xellarik--now Xe'rik--knew what go meant in that context and would sooner see the hatchling drag them both between than suffer his loss.

He scooped the balled beast up into his arms, a mess of eggy sand and membranes curling around his body as Byth nestled close, his razor sharp baby talons cleaving easily through leather and fabric alike. It was dazzling, the raw emotion such a tiny creature could send out; all at once despair gave way to joy and a love so abiding that Xel could not fathom the depths of such tenderness as he met the dazzling rainbows of Byth's eyes and allowed himself to be consumed. Never leave, he whispered, sensing an answer that was felt and not spoken as the dragon's long snout tucked under his arm up to his ear-like head knobs and the Blue radiated all of the things he wanted to say but could not voice. He had waited, and he knew how badly Xel needed him, even if the man hadn't realized it until that moment, and even if he wouldn't fully accept it until much later. He was Byth, and he was Xe'rik's, and he had been accepted so that was all that mattered.

It was too much, and yet nothing the Harper would ever grow tired of or be overwhelmed by. He pulled the little dragon closer and curled his body protectively around him until the Blue's tail had fallen limp across his legs and to the floor, his wings losing their tension and rustling against his knees as he caressed and rubbed every inch of his new lifemate. It was an intimate type of self-discovery as he introduced who he was to the newborn who seemed to know anyway. He wondered at the feeling of his hands on Byth's flesh that seemed to be echoed back at him through their bond so he could feel it on his own skin. Was this what it had been like for his friends? Different, he supposed, but the same vein. For a time he allowed himself to forget that the world exist, and then he lifted his head and peered at his friends, worry racing across his features.

"I haven't had a drink in roughly five candlemarks."

@Rii @Lee @Leo @Ivy

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: May 19 2017, 10:33 PM
Weyrlingmaster

472 Posts
150 Marks

OPEN

Vilane

This new place he'd come to was insanity. At first the tall blond had felt it was going fairly normally. Dragons went up into the stands, but stands Impressions happened often enough here--even the Harper had told him that much. So no real surprise. A feisty green was well and good, and the hatchlings had yet to seriously injure or harm anyone. Then it was as though the entire atmosphere changed after a booming voice suddenly said it was making an announcement. The voice ended up belonging to an iron, who was soon joined by a yellow, and insanity broke loose.

Vilane could only stand and stare at the chaos that seemed to break free around him. There were soon so many dragons on the sands that he could barely keep up. A burgundy picking fights in a downright odd manner with candidates. The blue that went up and Impressed to none other than that very same Harper Vilane could have sworn sat the Stands hoping for that exact thing--even though he'd said he didn't. The dragonets were addressing everyone and not Impressing, making commentary...then a viridian broke free and he turned stormy blue-grey eyes to it, jaw set. This was utter chaos, and now they had a hatchling who clearly was one to be keeping an eye on to avoid on the sands. He attacked a pink, and Vilane at least felt he was behaving 'normally' by comparison to the others--including the brown that kept walking into everyone and bumping them aside like it was blind, or something was seriously amiss. What in Faranth's naem was going on? It was shit show. A literal shit show.

He was bemused, if only slightly. If he hadn't known better, he'd have felt he was dreaming. This was nothing like any hatching that he'd ever participated in before. Nothing. He didn't know how to make heads or tails out of what was going on, and instead decided to make his primary focus not getting mauled. Finally, Z'dyn and his own iron seemed to step in and put an end to the foolishness of the burgundy. Shards, what was going on with these hatchlings? Were they all mad? He mused for the briefest of moments that perhaps this would be the kind of place to Impress, after all. Where it was nothing like Fort. Still, it was only a thought of bitter irony. This was just too much for anyone. People were looking on in shock and he thought some were laughing. Was this...commonplace? Certainly it didn't seem that this was the case. He stood warily, watching, waiting. Knowing that the eggs he'd touched contained dragons that were not interested in him, and even seemed unimpressed, didn't make him feel like he stood much of a chance at the moment. If anything, he'd just concentrate on getting out in one piece.

OPEN

Daxaeon

Dax had seen a lot of hatchings back home, but nothing really compared to this one. He was actually quite unable to keep a smirk off his face. The whole thing was unreal, sure, but it was rather fitting his first hatching should be so, wasn't it? Nothing in his life had ever gone as planned, and here he was, at this crazy hatching. Sharp eyes watched each and every one of those hatchlings. He moved a little aside when a brown passed, seeming keen on just walking into people, rather than around them. When the viridian came out, he frowned. Shards, and there it was. The one they'd probably best all be watching out for.

The hatchling attacked the pink on the sands, and he cringed a little. Not a nice way to spend your first moments in the world, being injured by your own brother. Nothing they could do for that one, though. It was what it was. The dragon that amused most was that crazy burgundy.
He didn't know what it was at, but whatever it was, it wasn't something he'd seen in his turns.
When Z'dyn came down to deal with it with his Baijujinth, Dax smirked again. Well, that was one way to deal with it. Certainly he appreciated the fact the man was there with the clutch's sire,
perhaps to keep things from getting carried away? Especially with that viridian. It would take a tough contender to deal with it, he was sure.

There seemed to be a few limbs breaking through the last couple of eggs, and he thought maybe he was looking at an orange and iron dragon. Still, he'd never bet on that for sure. Not until they were out. There was a saying about 'not counting your wherries'. Well, he wasn't. They literally had not hatched. Like a certain other candidate, he was watching that viridian. Everyone would be, if they knew what was good for them. There was a red, too...but something was clearly not right with it. He felt a brief stab of pity, but those things happened. Some didn't make it, or weren't born as strong as the rest. Best if that red Impressed soon, or else...well, even he could see the wings looked so tiny that it might never fly, as was. A red was a red, though. She'd still be a queen, and they were such tough dragons that he was willing to bet if any could pull through, it'd be her. Watching and waiting, he wondered how the rest of the hatching was going to play out.

OPEN

Shae

She stood there, unable to stop chuckling, grinning, and hiding laughter behind one hand. Was she at a hatching, or a Gather? This was unfreakingbelievable! The dragonets were all sharding cracked, and it was hilarious. Blue eyes danced in amusement as all hell broke loose out over the sands. Dragonets everywhere, and then the recognizably dangerous green hatchling--viridian, wasn't it? She had spotted the interchange between Zeph and that girl, and wondered briefly just what was up between the two. Yet she'd gone off, Impressed to a cyan, and he was still Standing. She was a little jealous, thinking maybe he'd found someone else to amuse himself with. Still, he could do as he pleased--she did, that was for certain. He was fun to flirt with, but if he flirted with everyone, so did she. Her gaze returned to the sands, and the dragonets. She didn't have time to be envious over silly things like that right now. She had to keep from getting boxed by a burgundy, or vanquished by a viridian! She wore a grin, adrenaline rushing through her veins, as she watched the proceedings.

Maybe this was her first hatching, but she knew enough to know this was not par for the course.
Dragonets bespeaking everyone before they even spoke to theirs? Behaving in un-dragonlike mannerisms? No, this was definitely not normal. That's what made it great. She was sure she was seeing something you only saw once in your life. She became more of a spectator than a participant, save that she had no desire to get in the way of any dragon who was going to take a punch, swing, swipe, bite, or whatever else at her. Shells, was this for real? What must their clutchmother be thinking? She'd borne a bunch of wild beasts. Maybe if it were her babes, she'd be proud of them for it. Probably. Normal was dull. This wasn't normal, so it was interesting.
It would be one hell of a weyrling class, that was for sure. She was feeling rather smug and pleased with it all. She got to watch from the best 'seat' in the sands. Still, that red...was still a red. The viridian was a very real and present danger. Best be on guard!
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: May 19 2017, 11:22 PM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

-Healer Camp-
Wounded Dragons: Report to Yrsavild
Wounded Weyrlings: Report to Da'on
No one report to Oosh he's given up his craft the lazy baby

Yrsa nodded to Da'on, an obvious you're on sort of motion, even if Os was in the background sticking his tongue out like he was trying to catch lightbugs after a storm. "Face'll get stuck that way," she warned in a motherly manner, but her attentions were drawn away from jest as the hatchlings began speaking in broadcast and the eggs began hatching in earnest. It became a quick whirlwind. Suddenly there were quite a few tumbles and scratches, and no few on the hatchlings as well.

Do remember to have your hatchlings tended, mortals, when you Impress them. Their lives are far more important than yours

Yrsa leveled a look at the Red, which the queen ignored, her tail wriggling in the sand with glee as she listened in on the babies. She did so ever love the magic of her kind, she tried to explain to the mortals on more than one occasion but they never seemed to understand. She could tell even now that many of them were gazing here and there with confusion when they shouldn't at all be questioning it.

Yrsavild tried to keep track. The Green had a facial slice--which the Iron and Yellow were asking Da'on about, that was a laugh and a half. The Pink was now well mauled in the leg and would need serious attention lest something snap while she grow and render that leg useless. The Iron had just been soundly kicked and most likely gouged. The humans, well, her eyes listed over to the Bluerider. Those were his problem. She could only smile as the Brown continued trampling them, the Blue helped, and the Viridian advanced.

@Raining @Lee

--

Anda sighed softly as he helped her to her feet. It was not wholly unexpected, he had been nothing but kind and accommodating of her thus far--but this was something of a public embarrassment. "It happens sometimes," she was trying to say, brushing her hands along her net-wrapped tunic in something of a nervous habit as she couldn't tell how she looked but knew only that such a thing was important to people who could see. She hated when her lack of sight interfered with her work, and true--this was not necessarily her fault, but she could have forced her way through the crowd atop Osk and demanded the space that he afforded her. Others had done it time and again. She had only wanted to be less selfish and had instead suffered.

Callum's call was loud enough to make her start, prickling wherryflesh along her arms, but she calmed beneath his hand when she realized it was not her he was yelling at. It was the person who had bowled her over. He gave her rank, which she knew meant that she held it above that man; though he was flexing his own rank as the Lord Holder to lend backing to how she must have appeared. Anda would not nullify his chivalry by simpering, she used Osk's eyes to turn and face the man herself, mouth set though her eyes remained closed. She would have agreed with the Lord, if he had said it, that the man was not genuine, but it was something enough and she turned in her seat to face him when he sat beside her.

"I am, I just..." she hesitated then smiled slightly. "I don't like needing help, and I don't like...being a burden because of my inability to see. I should have brought Osk with me, but I thought it would be better to give people space. I did not expect to have my space taken away. Oh but," she sighed softly holding onto one of his large hands with both of her own. "Since I am here, my Lord, would you do me the greatest honor of telling me what you see? Whers do not see exactly as we do, sometimes I am curious how other people see what Osk does." She could hear the excitement of the crowd, and more than that she could hear the hatchlings.

"It's so lovely when they Impress. Those first words they say to their new Rider, the ones that make them theirs forever. Sometimes you can tell everything about the dragon just from those few sentences. The Cyan likes to rush, the Green is very protective of her siblings, not violent at all. The Black must have chosen a Wher Candidate because he's apologizing for being a dragon." She laughed at how silly it was, but in truth she had never sat with someone at a hatching and shared this. She stayed close, aware of the gaggle of people following him, and pitched her voice low so it would be their secret. Theirs and the Weyrlings she was listening to. "Ah, Mifth is yelling now, the Weyrlingmaster's Blue, but that is normal. And oh--!"

She winced slightly as a multitude of hatchlings joined in with the dragons above, her grip on his hand tightened unconsciously as she fought to control the volumes filling her head. Usually they weren't so talkative, but these ones wanted to be heard. "Oh there is something wrong out there, my Lord," she said softly, a small furrow creasing her brow. "Anger, unpleasant words, and promises of vengeance. I believe we must be prepared." She crossed her legs allowing the net to drape across her body as if it would protect her from baby tooth and claw, her face tilted toward the Sands though she could not see what was on them herself, instead peering through Osk's own wary eyes. She knew he would be there in a moment if she needed him.

@Ivy

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: May 19 2017, 11:51 PM
Weyrling

496 Posts
165 Marks

Mauschen knew Xialas was right. He also knew that he should probably stop chattering at the older boy, but he was just so excited. This was his first hatching, ever, and the fact that he'd even been Searched was a real honour. He rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet, getting more and more antsy as time went on. So many eggs came to hatch that he could barely keep track of what dragonet was where. It was as if they were using the Sands as their own personal playground, and sadly some of the people were their play-things. Mauschen turned his head to look at each and every person that was stomped on, plowed over, and clawed. Even at seeing this the young man didn't blame the dragonets. Dragons were Pern's saving grace, they couldn't be inherently bad. They were just young, and didn't know any better. His companion alongside him may have disagreed, but Mauschen had chosen to be optimistic.

Dragons were all that the boy really had left. He had no family, no friends. If he impressed than at least he wouldn't be alone anymore. He had thought that, maybe, he'd made a friend out of the harper boy, Lueke. Instead he had gotten him in trouble. He felt awful, because he knew it was his fault. He should've told Rayna and Couineth what he'd done, but he'd been a coward. He didn't want to get kicked out of Candidacy. This was all he had-just this. He needed this.

The brown would have made any boy proud. Browns were proud dragons, sturdy, and worthy of recognition. An Iron came to hatch and Maus' eyes went wide again. It was like the Weyrleader's dragon! Oh, look at him, what a... And then the Iron began speaking, joined by his Yellow clutchsibling. Both males were... doing what exactly? As they commentated the hatching Maus started laughing. Leaning over, the boy held his stomach. His sides ached he was laughing so hard. Leaning up just enough to nudge Xialas in the ribs with his elbow, the blue eyed boy grinned at his roommate. "Aren't they a riot? Wow, this weyrling class is going to be great, isn't it?" They might not be a part of it though. He conveniently left that part out.

Turning to look back to where the Iron was, Mauschen followed the commentating as he looked from dragonet to dragonet whilst they were mentioned. They all had names, like, before even impressing! Well, that was cool. Turning to Xialas, in little kid fashion, he again said, "Cool, huh?" It was cool, to a boy of twelve Turns. He had still managed to retain some of his innocence, despite all that he had experienced in his short life thus far.

The brown went rampaging through the boys side of the barracks, bowling people over. The burgundy was boxing with a shorter girl, and then came over to box the Weyrleader's son. "Wow, look at that Xialas!" He tugged on the sleeve of the older boys robe, pointing back behind them to where Kyzekeidon stood. What was the other boy gonna do?

Then something miraculous happened though. The number three egg broke apart, and a weak-looking red slipped out. Wow, there she was... There was the dragonet everyone had been... wait. What was wrong with her wings? Leaning way over, Mauschen whispered, "Xialas, what's wrong with her?" He kept his voice real low, not wanting the dragonet to somehow hear him. Perhaps she was listening to the candidates and trying to get a feel for them. He felt bad for her. Arendel was afraid of them-why? He wanted to help her, but knew he couldn't. Instead he watched her closely.

When the Viridian burst forth from the Sand, Mauschen jumped. It was heading right for the group of them, even as the brown came to impress and bolted off to the feeding grounds in back. One of the blues impressed also, and the last two eggs were quickly making headway. Wait... Despite his thudding heart Maus could see that the large egg he had touched was making progress. The small boy had been waiting all day to see it. Maybe it would like him, like it had at the touching. Maybe it would think he was worthwhile.

Rather than focus on the impending threat heading straight for the group of them Mauschen was off in la la land, waiting and hoping as the likely-King attempted to break free. As cracks formed down the large blue egg, they also formed down the large yellow egg. Were the two a pair, like the Yellow and Iron seemed to be? It was possible.

Mauschen recalled that the large blue egg had been interested in him, and yet warded off by another... Who would ward the dragonet off? Did one of the others not want the dragonet to like him? Why? Instantly self-conscious, Mauschen turned as the Viridian neared. It's mouth was so big! Oh shit. "X-Xialas?" he stuttered, tugging on the older boys sleeve yet again. Shouldn't they get out of the way?

@Catsitta - Xialas

--

Embry wasn't sure what he was expecting from the hatching. Honestly, he had never though that someone like him would impress. Dragons didn't want bad people. As time stretched on, and the hatching sands became a zoo, Embry's gaze nervously flickered to and fro. It was Aydran's presence that kept his over-analytical thoughts at bay. When the harper girl impressed, he hadn't seen. Aydran pointed her out however, just as she was approaching a young man on their side of the Sands. Zaephor had a dumb look on his face, which Embry guessed was just his face. Glaring at the other boy, Embry nodded at Aydran's words. They were like a couple of girls gossiping, whilst there was a bunch of angry dragons roaming around. Just another day, obviously. "Probably screwing her, if you ask me. Look at her, what a flake. Couple of disgusting, wherrybrained, fools, the lot of them." Snorting, Embry crossed his arms over his chest. Well then, someone was grumpy. He still felt scorned, the entire misdemeanour was off-putting. Again he began to peer about, seeming all the more frantic. "I'll end up talking to him, don't worry about it," he muttered, looking over his shoulder again to glare at Zaephor a second-time.

Then, because he was Embry, he gave the young man the middle-finger. It was likely that Zaephor hadn't even seen, but that was hardly the point. Embry liked to be obnoxious and pretend as if he'd gotten away with it. It was his style. Leaning over to mutter to Aydran, the young man confidently boasted, "I showed him." Frankly, the pair of them were a couple of immature brats. The fact that neither one of them had figured out just how pathetic the other was, well it was shocking.

As dragonet after dragonet hatched, Embry kept fixating on the Kings. The Sub-Kings lost his attention at the sight of the Iron, though when he began to commentate with the Yellow Embry snorted in disgust. Nothing was funny about their little display. "What a couple of cocky assholes," he spat. "And dragons are supposed to be noble? Right." Offending the dragons out loud was probably a bad idea. Embry was full of bad ideas, and horrible executions.

The brown came rampaging through the candidates. First the girls, and then the boys. Embry put his arms up in front of him, expecting the brown to come bowling into him. It was headed straight for them! Was it going to impress him? Was this it? Blue eyes stared listlessly at the brown standing nearest him.

It wasn't in front of him though. It wasn't him... Taking a tentative step to the side, Embry turned to look upon Aydran. It felt like the entire world had come to a screeching halt, and there was no one there but them. The expression on the young mans face could only be described as envy. There was despair there too, like he'd just lost... everything. Maybe he had, maybe this was it. He knew he was being irrational, he knew that staring down Aydran at the same time as the brown dragonet was unlikely to do a thing. He knew there was nothing he could do. He couldn't impress to the other boy. He could yell at Aydran and try to make the boy hit him. He could hit Aydran even, or run up and shove him. Nothing was going to pull the other boys attention back to him though, and it would be downright selfish of him to ruin this moment for his best friend.

Aydran was his best friend.

So, all he did was stare, solemnly, and quietly. He felt as if his insides were twisting up, and he could feel the bile forming in the back of his throat. If Aydran walked away-he had to walk away-he was sure he was going to be sick. This was stupid. The whole thing was stupid. Their truce was stupid, this hatching was frickin' stupid, and all of these dragons were damn well stupid. He didn't want to be here. He didn't want to see this. He couldn't be happy for Aydran, he just couldn't. It wasn't him. He wasn't the one that got to have this moment. He would likely stand here and not impress and Aydran would move on in the next phase of his life. Aydran would be a dragonrider and he would be a nothing. He was always going to be nothing.

He could feel tears welling up in his eyes, because he was a dumb shit and didn't know how to control his emotions. Why hadn't he told Aydran that he cared? Why was he feeling all of this now, now that it was too late? No, he needed to stop this. He needed to control whatever this was, and just make it all go away. He needed to go stand somewhere else and let Aydran live his life. Clearly the other boy didn't need him, he had his stupid brown dragonet now. He had a king, what did he need him for?

Rage overtook sadness, and he suddenly felt hollow. He would've liked to hit Aydran. He was a kingrider now! He'd made it, and now, from here, could go just about anywhere. I hate you, he thought to himself, guilty the second he'd thought it. He let the feeling fester, let it eat him apart. It wasn't Aydran he was talking to though, he knew that the entire time. "Don't..." was the only word he managed to utter, and just barely. His throat was so dry. He wasn't even sure what he'd meant. Don't try to make this better? Don't say anything? Likely he meant both. Aydran was going to say something stupid, probably, about how he'd impress too. Embry didn't need to hear it. He didn't need his rivals pity. Aydran had won. He'd lost. Now they could move on. Now they could just go back to pretending like the other didn't exist, it would be just that easy.

None of it was easy though... Nothing about this was easy. He hated himself, so much. All of it just kept playing back through his head over and over again and he couldn't make it stop. He needed the noise to stop. He needed Aydran to just stop and look at him. He needed someone to see him, so badly. He was even selfish enough to think that he needed Aydran more than his brown did. Some friend he was.

His blood was pounding in his ears so hard that it was near painful. He felt like he could die, right here, and that would be okay. It was all so dramatic, it was all so confusing, and yet he knew that his and Aydran's relationship would never be the same again. The brown would take up all of his time, and all of his patience. There would be nothing left for him. There would be zero chance at a real friendship.

This was it, it was done. They were done.

Despite how hard he was trying not to be his usual selfish self he couldn't help it. He wanted nothing more than to ask Aydran how he could do this to him, even though it wasn't Aydran's fault. It was never Aydran's fault yet he needed someone to blame. He needed someone to blame for all of it, for everything. He just wanted things to go back to the way they were. He just wanted them to start all over again, and maybe just stay candidates forever until they could properly figure things out. "It's too late," he noted bitterly, not at all expecting Aydran to hear, or even care.

@Catsitta - Aydran + angst to the MAX

--

B'tor and Tavistrath were elated, and so was she. Finally, they could all get their way. There was no more fighting, no more fear and uncertainty. Everything was just... peaceful. If only the redhead knew what was coming their way. Al'dr and Fortath had been kind enough to reassure her come the start of the hatching. They had told her not to be afraid, and she liked to think that their words had helped to calm her (if only a little). Still, they were worth acknowledging, and she would be sure to approach them afterwords in order to thank them in person.

The new Weyrlingmaster, Nia, had come over to show her how feeding was properly done. She helped her to right her bucket and then together they broke up the chunks so that Loriketh wouldn't choke. Rylin smiled at the older woman, thankful for her help. "I feel so lost, thank you for all of your help." Another stray strand escaped, hanging across her face, and so she attempted to brush it away with the back of her hand.

Loriketh was savouring her last piece of meat. When more and more of her clutchsiblings hatched she watched, preening herself now and again. Surely they would all come over here, sooner or later, and notice her. She would love nothing more than to sing them a song of her own making! Hah, they were lucky to get the chance to listen to her.

As the brown came rushing towards Hers, Loriketh whirled about, eyes whirring a rapid red. Rylin was too busy trying to prepare Loriketh's food, and so she didn't notice that Aydran's dragonet had singled her out as a target. Loriketh had. Standing in front of Hers, blocking the way, Loriketh planted her feet and let out a loud cry. Was it supposed to be a song? No, not at all. It was threatening, low, and not at all cheery. Growling in warning, Loriketh picked up one back foot, and then the other, as if set to charge herself.
I will take you out brother if you come any further! She was entirely serious too! If she had been willing to pick a fight with her mother, she would certainly tussle her brown clutchsibling in an effort to protect Hers. No, this would not do! This ended now, because she said so.

Rylin turned just as her dragonet rushed to her side. Alarmed, Rylin looked to Nia, as if again pleading for aid, and then back to Loriketh. Quickly rising to her feet, Rylin peered overtop her cyan, seeing that a brown dragonet was headed right for them! "Loriketh, no! No fighting!" She didn't know what else to say! It wasn't as if the cyan felt that she'd had a choice, but Rylin didn't want her to get hurt! Fear overtaking her, Rylin reached out to place a hand upon her dragonets back. "Loriketh, please," she requested calmly, recalling her harper-training. Freaking out wasn't going to help. Loriketh, puffing up, had every intention of teaching her brown-brother a lesson!

@Catsitta - Aydran & Nia
PM
^
Sakoru
 Posted: May 20 2017, 01:17 AM
Weyrlingmaster

319 Posts
300 Marks

Ruane pointedly ignored Morrigan’s taunting, partly because even she was too dignified to pick a fight with a dragonet (just barely), and partly because she wasn’t about to get caught snarking and be kicked again. For all that he was just a newborn burgundy, he had a mean strike on him. Distracted by the hatchling, she missed almost all of the goings-on on the Sands, although she could certainly hear the iron and the yellow commentating away. What sort of dragonets were these, anyway? And why were two of them – not even one, but two! – deciding to narrate the entire Hatching?

Well, whatever. Ruane only stopped to care when the burgundy decided to go assault his iron brother, kicking him in the chest before springing away to go harass some other candidate. Finally. She settled back into a normal standing pose, glaring after the burgundy before switching her attention to Morrigan, who had been bowled over by the brown just a few moments ago. Adopting an eloquent smirk, she said nothing, letting the amusement in her eyes speak for her as she looked back to the other eggs. By now almost all of them had hatched, including the two small eggs and the tipped-over one at the front.

Just as she looked back to the eggs, the warped one shattered to reveal what looked like a red, but tiny, with tremendously undersized wings. Curious, the dragon candidate allowed herself a slight smile as the red attacked the buried dragonet, freeing the pink that had been caught in his jaws. Strong indeed, she thought to herself. The words she’d thought to that egg hadn’t been wrong, had they?

Now the viridian was headed for the candidates, though, so she flicked her attention off the red to pay attention to the crawling dragonet instead. Now, Ruane didn’t know what was up with this clutch but she was pretty sure that one meant trouble.

Hazel eyes following the viridian, she loosened her joints and got ready to spring out of the way.

"Branches may stop the ordinary man, but B'tor "slapper of jungle cats" is no ordinary man."
- Zane
plotter
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: May 20 2017, 01:46 AM
Weyrling

496 Posts
165 Marks

Morrigan couldn't help but tease the shorter-girl, teasing was what she did best. They could use a bit of lighthearted humour after the awkward incidence they had both endured from the Candidatemasters. Morrigan, rarely thinking much of anything, had let the whole thing go. She didn't want, nor need, any trouble. She knew where she stood, and that was all that mattered. Confident in herself, and what she wanted out of life, Morrigan fully expected to attain her goals with sheer determination.

Seeing that the fiasco with the burgundy had ended, much to her disappointment (what, it was amusing) the taller girl glanced over at Ruane idly. It was about that time that the brown came charging on through. Morrigan could hear his thundering paws hitting the ground. Turning just as he was upon her, the smuggler got herself bowled right over. The air whooshed out of her lungs as she landed flat on her back, temporarily winded. Ow. Hissing disapprovingly, before anything else she met Ruane's eyes. Oh, this would not do. "What's so funny there?" she queried, coming to stand upright once more. Dusting herself off, and patting at her backside, the girl groaned at the crick in her back. "So that's what he meant by watch out, huh? How literal." She chuckled, for the browns energy had not upset her.

Eyeing Ruane, as if the other girl was plotting something devious, Morrigan's attention was drawn to the Iron and Yellow that began to commentate the hatching. "Am I dreaming per chance?" She must have been, what a strange clutch this was. It was as if the dragonets had all gotten into her fellis stores. Shards, what a nightmare that would be. As if nightmares were precisely what the dragonets wished to invoke, the crippled green egg cracked apart. Out slipped a sickly red. Her wings were ever so small, and she looked out of breath. Morrigan frowned, wondering at the curious creature. So this was the red that they would choose to fear, was it?

When the Viridian revealed himself, large jaws parting, Morrigan whistled low. "Now that's not a dragon I would want to be on the receiving end of." She was likely to eat her words, rather unfortunately, since the sub-king was fairly enraged. He went for his pink sister, but she was rescued by the tiny red. "That ones got moxie," Morrigan noted, nodding her approval. It was good to see the red standing up for her clutchsiblings, even if at the heart of her actions was some manner of self-preservation. With the way the red reared on the Viridian, Morrigan would have expected that self-preservation was the last thing on her mind...

As two of the larger eggs-the final eggs-began to hatch, Morrigan barely noticed in favour of keeping watch of the volatile Viridian. He came charging forward, headed straight for the group of candidates. "Well this is grand fun," Morrigan muttered sarcastically, pulling a stance similar to Ruane's. She wasn't about to be taken out by this beast, just let him try to take her down. Don't get ahead of yourself Mor, he's got a set of teeth on him. All she could think about, in that long-drawn moment, was her daughter.

@Sakoru - Ruane

--

Asha was enjoying herself. Watching the dragonets come into the world and impress was, truly, an honour. She was swelling with pride, swinging her legs cheerily. Rayiet had accepted her hand, and they had found their seats quite easily. Now that they were both seated, and watching the proceedings below, Asha was fully content. She turned to smile at the boy just as the brown clambered on up into the Stands. He wasn't looking to impress, not up here. What he was set on doing was completing his "path," whatever that meant. Before Asha knew what was happening, a leg caught her and she was being knocked out of her seat by the sheer force of the brown.

Staying low to the ground the small girl didn't move, raising her arms up above her head to cover her face. She balled up, trying to stay as small as possible until the threat had gone. The brown left, leaving no real destruction in his wake beyond a frazzled child. Shaking, though she convinced herself she wasn't afraid at all, Asha slowly opened her big blue eyes. When she finally removed her arms from atop her head, and dared to look up, it was Rayiet's face she was gazing into. "Thank you Rayiet," she spoke quietly, feeling rather frail in that moment. Her friend was looking out for her though. He offered to help her up, his blue flit having attempted to tell the big brown off. The flit was now looking back at her, sending the emotions of the boy that was his bonded. Asha took care to pay attention to what the flit was conveying to her, accepting the boys hand up.

Once she was back in her seat, adjusting her position a bit with a wiggle of her bum, Asha looked to her young friend. "Thank you Rayiet, I'm alright. You were a big help. Your friend is very fierce." She was, of course, referring to the blue flit upon the boys shoulder. Grinning, Asha collected herself. She was trying her best to keep her heart in her chest and her head in the game. There was a hatching still to watch! She was safe, they both were, and that's what mattered. She wouldn't focus on the 'what ifs' for there was little point.

Watching as the brown impressed, Asha made a point of clapping her small hands together. It was a fine impression and she was sure that the brown was an even finer creature. She looked away in order to avoid watching him try to bowl over another. What a silly group of dragonets this was, but immaturity was normal in ones so young. They would grow, alongside their bonded's, and do the Weyr proud.

The commentating of the Iron and Yellow made her giggle, blue eyes shifting to Rayiet as if sharing a private joke with him. The girl giggled some more as the two males carried on down below. They were putting on a show, how cute!

When the sickly red hatched Asha leaned forward, eyes wide with curiosity. Oh how she wished she could have been down there to better observe the tiny queen. She was beautiful, despite her faults. If anything her faults added to her perfection. Asha's mouth formed an 'o'-shape of surprise as the viridian burst free from the sand. Wow, was he ever big or what. Was she just imagining it? He looked real tough. "He's gonna be a strong one, that one," she told Rayiet, trying to sound as proud as she may. When he turned on the candidates Asha could practically feel every face, including her own, blanch. Her heart skipped a beat as she waited to see what havoc the viridian would try to wreak. "It'll be okay Rayiet," she whispered, hoping that the boy wasn't too worried about what might happen. She didn't want him to be afraid, though he was a big boy, just like she was now a big girl. They could handle whatever happened-right?

@Blot - Rayiet <3
PM
^
Ivy
 Posted: May 20 2017, 02:10 AM
Alphahandler

1211 Posts
1030 Marks

HATCHLING GO. Dabysk growled at the offending dragonet as he made his way into the stands, managing to catch his leg against Asha and send the little girl tumbling. Ready to pick the hatchling up and return him to the sands if needed the wher was satisfied to see him continue on his way without causing any further damage to the girl or the boy that His was watching over. Dabyrie’s eyes flicked over Asha’s form quickly for any sight of blood as Rayiet helped her up; it was nice that they were getting along so well. Being a weyrbrat must be hard, especially for these two. Turns in the creche meant their faces were familiar to the wherhandler even if she was only doing a few late night shifts there since her impression. ”Did you want to get checked by the healers?”, she asked lightly though it didn’t seem the girl was hurt at all.

In fact she was talking to her friend now and reassuring him that she was okay. All of their attention was caught by the sight of a toothy hatchling lashing out at the pink before he turned on the candidates. Her daughter took hold of her hand and she gave a reassuring squeeze, ”I doubt Couineth will let any real harm come to the candidates.”

@Blot @Zane

----

”I.. I can’t tell. I don’t think it is a red though. Maybe a burgundy? Reds are usually brighter red. But it could be either I guess, we’ll have to find out once it picks its person.” She answered gently as she squinted to try and get a better look at the dragonet in question. The hide seemed the wrong shade for a red but she couldn’t really tell, maybe it was? Then Rosian was asking about Cairenn’s dragon now - as if her desire for her cousin to impress meant she definitely would impress. ”It would be a while darling. A few turns at least.”

”Well I suppose it could happen.”, though she was certain that her daughter would never impress a purple like her father had she certainly didn’t want to see her upset. The tickling distracted her well enough from her sadness at least and when she asked if she had counted right Roselle double checked, ”Well if we count all of the eggs, even the ones that are broken there are… Sixteen eggs.” The buried egg wasn’t counted because she had forgotten it existed - easy to do from the stands when it looked like a sandy lump. Nodding to the girl’s next question she smiled, ”I bet it is one of the babies.”

Oh but there was even more talking and now it was more than just one voice. Multiple voices chattered quite a bit and Roselle watched as one of the hatchlings made his way into the stands to knock someone over before going back to the sands. Things were disintegrating rather quickly with the red, no burgundy, boxing with a candidate. Ichor was on the sands. Blood was on the sands. No one looked too terribly injured from where she was but she feared things would only get worse. Leaning in she whispered, ”If it is too scary we can go. Your cousin will understand.”

@Ruriko

----

A broad smile worked across her face as the harper pressed his lips to her knuckles while introducing her to his friends. Were all harpers so good looking? Though she had never noticed it before she was now finding herself among a small group of them that made her wonder if she had chosen the wrong craft when she went into healing. There was little question that if all harpers were good looking young men she would have never gotten far with her studies at all; so it was probably best she had gone the route she had. Nodding to each one she offered a bright and friendly grin, ”Nice to meet all of you. You studied together, do you all play music together still?” It would be rather adorable to hear they did, a little band of sorts that all found their way to Dalibor together.

Once seated properly among the harpers she smirked and leaned in to speak softly to Xellarik, ”Have plans for after the hatching already or do you think I can snag some of your time?” Time wasn’t all she wanted to snag but that didn’t need to be said, especially in front of a group of people she had just met. As she waited for a reply her eyes were drawn to the movement on the sands, when had so many eggs hatched? Probably when she was busy appreciating the harpers rather than paying any attention to the hatching. Blue orbs followed the antics of the dragons on the sands, the question forgotten. There would be plenty of time for them to make plans as the hatching commenced or even afterwards. There really was no rush. Caught up now in the hatchlings as well as being distracted by the commentary from two of them, Xellarik cradling his head and looking pained went unnoticed.

Even when his complaining was dismissed without a second thought - what did she know of harper business? There certainly was a lot going on, the two hatchlings yammering on was not much of a help as they only focused on one or two of their siblings at a time. Gaze flicked from one dragonet to the next then back. Candidates were being bowled over, that one looked injured, a little girl in the stands had been knocked down… When had things gotten so lively? Before she could become too enthralled with the hatching she realized one of the harpers was talking to her. Turning her head she lifted her gaze from the sands back to the harpers smiling once more as she enjoyed the compliment; until it abruptly ended. What was he going on about now? Confused she turned more only to see what he did - a small blue had made his way up to them.

From the way Xellarik was acting she realized it was here for him and she put a hand on Aiechu’s arm as if that would quiet him. Why were the blue’s eyes so yellow? Something was wrong but before she summoned Mysqith with her mind she saw that the harper-turned-weyrling was on top of it. As he cradled the dragonet against him she watched with a fond, if not somewhat disappointed, smile tugging at her lips. ”Well there goes my idea for a post-hatching party,” she teased as her eyes darted around almost nervously. The last thing she wanted was for someone to take her words and twist them in a way that would get her into trouble with her wingleader; been there and done that as a weyrling, she wasn’t eager to see what kind of punishment they would dole out now that her dragon was at little risk for betweening. ”Congratulations… what is his name?”

Realizing she was still touching Aiechu she gave him a sideways glance as she lifted her hand off of his arm, ”Work? That sounds rather boring, but perhaps I can help?” No point in letting the eye candy she found herself seated with go to waste. Even if he turned her down there were still two others so her odds were decent. At the weyrling’s admission she arched a brow while glancing at his friends to gauge how serious his statement was; most normal people could go without a drink at all… was he different?

----

Soft yet calloused hands gently clasped around one of his as the handler quietly implored him to share with her what he was seeing. It was strange to consider her position, a leader of her own right within the Weyr thanks to her bond with her wher despite being without sight. How would he fare if he were to lose the use of one of his senses? Likely not as well as the woman seemed to do - even if her success relied heavily on her wher’s existence. A brief nod was offered before he replied quietly, ”I would be honored to share with you what I see, Prideleader.” Free hand lifted to adjust his spectacles on the bridge of his nose, eyelids narrowing slightly in a squint as he followed the different hatchlings’ movements. ”I apologize as I was late in arriving so I cannot describe how the first few dragons hatched. Right now there are a number of hatchlings on the sands,” he offered as he leaned towards the woman to ensure she could hear him properly.

Rather than jumping into a long monologue dictating to her where each and every hatchling was he paused, giving her an opening to discuss what she was hearing. It took far longer for him to realize she could hear the dragons than Callum would have liked to admit. At first he was just confused and began to listen to the conversations around them until her words truly sunk in and he blinked, seeing her with new eyes. ”Are you keeping secrets from me Prideleader? You can hear the hatchlings? And the Weyrlingmaster’s dragon as well. Forgive me but I’ve never met a hear all before. I imagine it is a heavy burden to shoulder.” Her brows furrowed and the action earned a raised eyebrow from the Lord Holder, ”Do not worry, I have been told that since the addition of armor to hatchings in the various Weyrs the amount of serious injuries to candidates have been drastically reduced. We are high enough up and your wher is keeping a watchful eye, is he not? We will be safe.”

A gentle yet unwavering tone was used to reassure the handler that they were safe - and that those on the sands should be safe as well. Though deaths did still occur at hatchings they were not commonplace since the Weyrs began requiring armor. It was an ingenious move on the Weyrs’ part, losing candidates by way of serious injury was nearly as bad as losing them to death since dragons were not likely to pick someone disfigured. Spotting a rather aggressive looking dragon he leaned in to match his voice to the volume she had spoken, ”There is a newly hatched dragon on the sands, a green or a viridian by the color of its hide. It bit one of the other hatchlings… a pink was close and it latched onto her leg briefly. Now it is eyeing the candidates but as I said they are all wearing armor under their robes so they are fairly safe.” His free hand moved to rest atop both of hers as he applied soft pressure against her hands. ”So tell me, how is it you know what the dragons are? You mentioned the green, cyan, and black - do they announce their colors? Have you always been able to hear their voices?” Though he hoped not to pry he found it - her - rather intriguing. The strange blind wherhandler who clicked to find her way and could hear dragons.

@Ruin

PM
^
Boo
 Posted: May 20 2017, 02:11 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

2963 Posts
1015 Marks

The burgundy looked decidedly chastised as Baihujinth moved over to him. He lowered back to all fours and looked at the iron with some anger whirring in his eyes and yet, there was no point fighting him or the gold who had now lowered her head close by. He hopped back to the centre of the clutch and looked to the candidates again, he just needed to look at them a bit more carefully this time.

The iron was looking a bit worse for wear now but he had to continue, his adoring fans were waiting for him to keep up his commentary.
And we are back now, with our broadcast apologies for that brief interruption. Looks like Quoth has been injured but got free. Now she’s...
Stop being stupid. Go Koath.
There was a firmness to her tone that caused the iron to recoil slightly and look at her in bewilderment before he flopped down to the ground. The pink had limped her way over to the iron and was examining the deep cut across his chest. She looked at it critically and then back at the larger dragonet.
Yeah, don’t worry mate I can take it from here.
The iron nodded to his brother.
See ya on the other side.

Then there was silence once more as the dragons stopped broadcasting to the people of the Weyr. Koath, as the whole Weyr probably knew by now, looked over towards the candidates. Quoth observed him a moment longer and then seemed to be satisfied that he was ok before she walked towards the candidates herself.

Now. Koath had been more than happy to commentate the goings on of the hatching but right now, he didn’t see a point in moving when he could just have someone else come and get him. Besides… He was injured after all. The iron made a grunt and then stared across the sands. Ugh. It was so far. Cracking behind him told him one thing.

His brother had decided to join them. Out of the massive blue egg flopped a second iron, this one decidedly cheerful. A strange barking trumpet echoed across the sands as the second iron almost seemed to be congratulating himself. Koath just about rolled his eyes. The trumpeting continued as the second iron made it exceedingly clear that he had arrived at the party. Immediately the second iron began almost literally ‘flopping’ his way over to the candidates. What was wrong with his back legs?

In fact, if people were to observe, they would see that the second iron was practically dragging its hind legs as it moved, weirdly jumping in a way that meant he was only using the front of his body. The movements of this iron caused Koath to move, all of a sudden he got to his feet and intercepted the second iron. Angry trumpeting ensued as the second iron barked at his brother.
Mate, I know you looked at him, but that one’s mine. You know which one’s yours too.

The second iron stopped his barking and seemed to consider the point before nodding. Yeah he did know which one was his, he’d just been interested in the other one. Maybe because he knew the kid was Koath’s. The second iron backed down and Koath turned to look at the males.
Oi, Maus'en, get your ass over here. We gotta go get me some healing. And, mate, do you reckon I might be able to have breakky while they feed me. Ah but make sure it is only wherry, I don’t want none of that herdbeast.

The iron’s eyes swirled rainbow as he looked across at the candidate he had chosen. Mauschen, now Maus'en.

user posted image

Iron Koath Mauschen Maus'en [#665d5c]

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Slow and lumbering, Koath may trick people into thinking he is slothful. Koath also loves to eat food and will constantly be asking for more food. However, he is an incredibly picky eater. He will only eat wherry and turn his nose up at anything else. He is also particular about how he eats, preferring to skewer the pieces of meat onto his claws and then pick them off one-by-one.

He can be lazy and selfish at times, choosing to nap and sleep until someone else has done all the work for him if he can convince them to do so. This is a habit His will have to work hard to mitigate. Once his energies have been channelled in the right way, he will be a far more active dragon and more able to be encouraged. In a lot of ways, he thinks there is no point in doing the work if it is boring and others more willing to do it for him. However, he will be happy to reap the rewards.

Koath believes himself a warrior and may have many an instance where he can go immediately from sleeping on the shores of the lake to launching into the air and fighting threadfall like any of the other dragons. He will defend the younger dragons and individuals of the Weyr most aggressively, believing them to need his protection. There would be no stopping him from fighting if he believes anyone he cares about is in danger.

Koalth speaks rather more than the average iron and perceives himself as a ‘spectator’ of life. For this reason, he will broadcast his observations into the minds of others liberally whilst he lazes about. He will commentate on hatchings, formations, Threadfall, chores and anything else complimenting and criticising the actions of those around him. He does this best when he is working with his yellow brother, both bouncing off one another.

Koath has an almost dry sense of humour and every line he delivers is almost with the exact same tone. There are those who will have great difficulty determining when Koath is making a joke and when he is being serious. He can also be sarcastic at times but again, will deliver it with almost the exact same tone. It is when he ‘commentates’ that his voice takes on almost a whole character of its own.

Adult Size: 46’

The yellow would have continued his commentary but it just didn’t seem right to do so at this moment. Not when Koath had needed to leave due to injury. He instead looked around at his siblings, eyes stopping on the green.

She had now moved towards the candidates, flaring her great wings as she examined each of the boys. She wove her way amongst them and stopped before Vilane @Ruriko.
A dragon worthy of you. Vilane. Do not show weakness by being controlled by others.
She didn’t care that he would probably think her words unwelcome, think less of her. It needed to be said. His mind was a muddle of confusing thoughts. Some of them his and some clearly influenced by another. She turned then to Embry.
Be careful. Calm thoughts. You do not want to attract my siblings. Calm.
She stared sternly at the angry candidate and then nimbly made her way over to the girls.

This was a gamble, this was a dare. This could be her death but this was what she needed and more than that, she had a promise to make. Tamanith had been worried, she had been worried about this very choice but she was Oath and she had to do this.
Seiyrsha, you are so frightened of your destiny. Her eyes burst with the colours of impression, my dear Seiyrsha, Tamanith tried to convince me to choose someone else. She was terrified your thoughts would make me leave.
Oath stopped speaking a moment and drew her wings neatly into herself again.
I would rather risk the void of between than never experience my perfect match. I promise you, I will never allow you to become what you fear. I swear it on my life. Please, will you accept me?

user posted image

Green Oath - Seiyrsha [#d7efd9]

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Oath is majestic and nimble, she is the type of dragon Holders think of when they think of a dragon coming to their hold. It is as though she were a harper dancer, her grace is truly something to behold.

She can sometimes be traditional. In some ways, she would be better suited to the old Pern than the one into which she was born. Although she is highly traditional and not afraid to voice her opinions on anything from mutations to Dalibor’s general political state, she does not do it in a rude way but rather wishes to debate every point. Oath listens thoughtfully to each point and if she does not have a counter may spend many days considering the point until she either agrees with it or has a rebuttal. In this way, she might spend a full sevenday thinking over something and then bring up the debate once more. Unfortunately this can sometimes fall into other perceptions such as ladies should dress this way, men this way, or ladies should speak like this. However she is willing to drop the point if it is proven why this is not the case. Her ideas on traditions do not extend to her views of roles as she believes anyone can do anything if they set their minds to it. Those who say otherwise are not worth the worry.

In a lot of ways, Oath is like her namesake. If she makes a promise, there is nothing she won’t do to ensure that it is kept. Oath stays true to her word and almost cannot even lie to others. She would not be a good politically minded dragon, but can easily act as a conscience to someone. In some ways, she sees things as black and white. There is good and evil. Her traditional views can sometimes get in the way of accepting rulings on legal matters.

Oath is a calming force amongst people. Even when it would seem the world is collapsing around her, she has an amazing ability to pick up the pieces and attempt to rebuild. Oath never rises to a taunt and rarely fights back. If anyone she cared for were threatened though, there would be no end to the pain she could bring.

Unlike her siblings, Oath could probably use human cutlery if they made it in dragon size. She will sometimes use her foreclaws to almost ‘cut’ the meat and then eat it in smaller pieces with grace, dignity and elegance.

Adult Size: 29’

Back amongst the clutch, the viridian had further advanced on the candidates but it was the ‘red’ that had now stopped moving, whirling around in a circle. Suddenly it ran. FAST. Ran towards Kidanyr @Blot and just about headbutted her in the chest. He was not a red shardit! His hide was so boring that everyone not only thought him teeny tiny, they also thought he was a sharding red! Why was he so accursed with this stupid hide of his. There was a little flailing as the burgundy ran around in a circle, flapping his stumpy wings frantically.

He needed them to know he was a burgundy. All of them needed to know. They all thought he was small, how dare they and how dare they judge his wings. He could fly, he would show them all. He would show them. The flailing continued a moment longer as he then ran towards the boys. It was Daxaeon @Ruriko who earned the burgundy’s ire next. Why was he so accursed with this hide, and these stumpy wings. He ‘pecked’ at this boy too and then started running around the candidates in circles. Shard them all between.

Quoth had stood watching her burgundy brother when her unimpressed blue brother approached. He seemed eager to be out of this whole… Mess. Quoth crooned to him and then walked back to the clutch. He needed something to make him feel better. She grabbed a large piece of shell from the second iron’s egg and placed it on top of the blue. There we go. That would make him happy. She leaned down, close to the sand to look at the blue from his hiding spot and then chirped. The pink then started limping her way over to the candidates.

She knew who hers was the moment they had arrived on the sands. Just as many of her clutch siblings had felt the same. Some of them had changed their minds as they lay there, but not her. As soon as she had met him at the touching she knew she had to bond to him as soon as possible and she was so excited to meet the other one just like him. They could all be such good friends.

K’bi you naughty boy, you tried to run away from me when you came to visit. I was so worried you would leave for good and I would have to go away. OH! I got you something. Um… Um… Here!
She leaned over and tore a piece off Leuka’s @Ruriko robe and presented it happily to her new bonded.

user posted image

Pink Quoth - Quokka - Kolbi (K’bi)

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
As with most of her colour, Quoth is a happy dragon. Although she is happy, she is by no means naive or foolish. Quoth will stand up for herself and others but believes that it is not wrong to be happy even in the face of overwhelming odds. Quoth can read situations remarkably well, she is a wise dragon when it comes to giving advice but knows when not to speak and instead just offer a shoulder to cry on. Overall, she wishes for all people to feel happiness but she knows that people need to handle their emotions in their own way. This does mean she can discount her own emotions at times in favour of helping someone else. She may not want to open up to others but will be pushy in getting others to open up to her.

When she is not dealing with people’s emotions, Quoth can actually be rather nosey and inject herself into private situations without realising what she has done. Frequently, she can be found just wandering into someone else’s private space and sitting down ready to have a conversation or offer her opinion on something. The best way to explain this is that Quoth doesn’t understand the concept of ‘ownership’. When she realises she has upset someone, she will go to great pains to fix the situation but doesn’t really understand what it is she has done wrong.

With this lack of understanding, Quoth also considers that everything in the Weyr belongs to everyone. Unfortunately, this may mean that she might give away things that belong to her bonded without realising their importance. As before, she will try to do everything she can to mend her mistakes but may not learn from these mistakes. It will take a lot of work to explain to Quoth that not everything belongs to everyone. Quoth has the understanding that if it is not being held by someone at that precise moment, they are not using it and therefore she can use it if she wants! Likewise, other people might like that thing and she needs to make them happy by giving them that thing.

That said, she knows what is important and what is not. She can be distrusting of people and is not easily tricked. Furthermore, she is vigilant and will be able to tell when someone does not have the best of intentions. She has a tendency to take food from others and eat it holding it in her foreclaws very close to her maw.

Adult Size: 21’

The purple now seemed annoyed that his dance partner had impressed, he puffed himself up as large as he could. Everyone should really marvel at the magnificence of his hide after all. He began chirping, this time incorporating the sounds of… cracking eggs into his song as well as the sound of applause. This attracted the attention of the black who moved forward and seemed to regard the purple with skepticism. He flapped his wings and jumped high in the air, landing quickly with a waggling tail. Then he jumped again, moving around the sands as he did so. Each time he landed, it was accompanied with another tail waggle.

The boxing burgundy was sulking in a corner, the blue was enjoying its shell, the viridian was still slowly creeping up on candidates, the yellow had resumed its laughing, the second iron was now joining in the cacophony of noise coming from the yellow and purple whilst the red burgundy ran about in circles. Truly, Rayna reflected, a bunch of weirdos. There was only the yellow egg remaining, a leg sticking out of the shell and shaking slightly as though the dragonet had gotten itself stuck.

user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: May 20 2017, 02:59 AM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

"Hey, that's all that matters right," Arendel breathed, his eyes wide as they stared at the Black one moment, and his friend the other. "Echith, nice name little guy, you picked a good one." And he meant it, as...weird as this all seemed right now. She had Impressed and she was okay, and that was really all that mattered. He listened to her talk to her dragon, and to him, and smiled. It was probably the purest smile he'd had since he'd noticed his father--and for now it seemed like he'd forgotten the man. "Hey, course you'd miss the sun, and I'd miss you too. You gotta help me figure out if I want to be a Smither like Uncle G'dan, right? Hey," he said softly. "Try not to forget about me okay? I mean, I know you'll be busy, but I'll always be around, and I'll definitely see you at the pillie hatchings."

Aren nodded along with G'dan and Ev'ion, though he was briefly distracted by Echith's words filling his mind, warring with the hatchlings on the sands as they spoke. He'd never get used to that. "They're right and hey, look," he nodded towards the nest where most of the eggs had already hatched and a Viridian was doing its best to eat a Pink. "It's getting...well, how we thought it would. You guys should head out to the feeding area. And hey, he's right I'll catch up with you after if I'm allowed. It's early in the day so it isn't like they're going to make you go to bed or anythin'. I just don't want you to get hurt. Maus yes," and his smile dripped with his usual cheekiness, "but not you, and no, Echith, I don't think I am afraid of you at all."

Aren sighed quietly as his friend departed and nodded, agreeing with his uncle about what he'd said earlier though it took him a moment to put it to words. "I wouldn't think any less of you for being happy neither, an Uncle Day'ar died the same time, right? So I'm not being fair, but it's just cause he...gave up on being my da, but that's for later, like Dragonrider Ev'ion said, maybe if this...guy...is helping him he'll think about me. I don't know what I'll say to 'im but anythings better than just trying to avoid each other until we can't no more." Aren looked sideways at the two men and then shrugged in the usual fashion, he'd run out of things to say, and had decided just to fall silent and be broody. That is until the Viridian started heading for the Candidates.

"Ha, maybe Maus will get eaten. Not that I want it, maybe just a little bite? We're safe up here right, I wouldn't want to get mauled instead." Then a few heartbeats later the boy groaned. "No! He's going to be insufferable now. More than he was before! He didn't even get chomped a little bit! No lesson learned here at all, going to grow up dazzled by the wonder of dragons." The young boy sighed, dropping his head into his hands and shaking it around. Maus's Impression to a King was, as far as he was concerned, the biggest tragedy of the evening bar none.

@Ruriko @Rii

@RhiaBlack - both

--

Sebolaren sighed softly, his eyes flickering briefly to Fisher before he determined it didn't really matter what he said around her at this point. "My fault anyway. I was just as angry as he is when my father disavowed me. I had just as much control over why it happened as well. I wasn't supposed to become my father, but somewhere along the way I did. I don't blame him for feeling the way he does. I just regret being the cause of them. Delilah should've been the one to live, she was far better at these things, she would've recovered and adapted."

He tried to muster up a smile to show the Rider that he was soldiering through this, as depressing as it all sounded. "I made a choice based on how I felt, it probably wasn't right, but I thought it was. Maybe I'll get a chance to mend things with him later. Maybe I won't. I have you, and for now that's enough." The same could be said of his relationship with G'dan. Maybe they'd both just been too far lost to help one another, him especially. The Greenrider had maintained contact with his children, and with him, had tried his best. He was strong, but not stronger.

Sebolaren had just been through too much and had just slipped too far away. He hoped G'dan knew that. Another thing he'd have to discuss later...far later. The woman on the other side of B'er gasped, drawing his gaze again; she was trying to appear offended, but ended up laughing anyway. "Take him to my bed? Ijreth would have thrown us both out. No he just crawled in, the drunk, but look--has himself a dragon now. Definitely not my problem. Or Ijreth's, at least not now." The interaction made the Handler smile, and Fisher leaned over to call him out on it. "Says the man in this one's bed!"

Sebol laughed softly and replied, "I'm the problem in his bed, that is for sure," pressing his lips to B'er's temple, deciding he didn't really mind who saw at this point. it helped when the Rider drew his attention back down to the little gathering where G'dan did seem closer than was typical with another Rider. That look hadn't lied, but neither did this.

It must have been so new that it hadn't even sprouted yet. If the mystery Rider was smart, he'd give the shy Greenrider a chance to grow into it. Sebolaren knew only too well how easily G'dan balked at heavy-handed infatuation. The Handler sighed softly, but followed suit, not speaking aloud the thoughts running through his mind. He'd hardly paid any attention at all to the hatching, and that really didn't change as he leaned into the man by his side and allowed himself to relax.

Fisher peered across her brother to the man again, before she started watching the hatching in earnest. "Thanks, B'er. I'll try to be a better sister okay? You deserve everything you've said and a lot more." It would take some getting used to, but...well this time she had to hope this guy would stick around. She didn't want to see B'er in that state again, and she certainly didn't want him to be reminded that she'd been uninviting every time he saw her.

--

Oreanda was positively thrilled that the Lord Holder was willing to take time out of his day to tell her about the hatching. She knew he was here to make an appearance, and she wasn't even certain if he enjoyed it, but she--she was tickled. In truth she didn't have many friends. Possibly because people thought she was just a little weird and possibly overbearing. He didn't seem to mind though. She leaned in like they were sharing great secrets and listened as he spoke, filling in the blanks with what the hatchlings were saying. She found her awareness of dragons to be so normal, that she was surprised when he accused her of keeping secrets. Then amused. "I'm sorry, I never thought to mention...it had very little to do with what we were discussing at Crescent."

"It was very difficult when I first came here. I was Searched for dragons, but had never spent time around them. It was overwhelming. Every hatching was painful, I lived out by the sea to get away. Akke could help mute their sounds. Animals have a...well a hum. I can sense whers and dolphins for example, firelizards too, but I can't hear them. I only know that they are there, that they exist. Dragons just come to me though, like I'm right there with them humming. Anyway," she laughed softly looking back on her handful of turns at the Weyr.

"As time went on I learned to filter them, now it's something of a second nature. Hatchings can be overwhelming still, confusing, they like to shout a lot and they're all new voices I have to learn and sort through. It doesn't help when the older dragons get excited and start shouting--such as Mifth." She nodded as he comforted her fears, "Osk is watching. It's just another small thought that I must deal with, knowing that I can't...see a threat coming. I must rely on my senses and here they are dulled. Talking people, talking dragons. Osk further than he would be. Hopefully you brought a knife, my Lord, I shall need you to defend me."

It was said as a soft jest, but it held a fair amount of truth; if they were rushed he would be the first line of defense. Anda listened for the Viridian, finding him by focusing on the voices she knew and disregarding them. "Ah, I hear him," she said softly, "he's trying to figure out if the Candidates are food--that's rather alarming. I hope he doesn't have the opportunity." She also hoped he wouldn't have the opportunity, and then find that he enjoyed them. Could a dragon recover from that? He recalled her attention to him with his hands, the other covering her own where they lay within his other.

Soft though his hands were, they were large, it made her smile to feel how much bigger than her own slender short-fingered ones. She had not spent much time in intimate company with people. She had not held many hands, and those had mostly belonged to a Dolphineer she had once known as a good friend. Osk could show her things, but feeling them was different. It was her greatest way to understand. "Well," she mused softly, trying to place her finger on how she did it. "They all have certain personalities that are well known for the colour. Such as...you would never mistake a Tan for a Red, or a White for a Copper. You learn their individual traits by speaking to them, and over time you can make snap judgments. When that fails, you cross out ones they cannot be and the one that remains must be."

"The Viridian for example, was not the Iron, Yellow, Pink, or Burgundy who have been talking. Most certainly not the Blue, green, or purple--for their thoughts are kind, curious, and creative. So I looked for hunger--he seemed hungry from your description, not necessarily violent. Being unable to see means I am incapable of judging by assumption. I can only draw conclusions based on what I hear. So I found him. He seems...wise. Though I feel as if everyone finds him dangerous." Anda smiled softly, she did enjoy using her gift to listen in on the dragons. Though she knew that not all Riders appreciated her talent, with the Lord Holder, she could tell him and not worry about offending him.

"Oh yes," she said softly. "I've heard them since I was a child, though I did not know what I was hearing until much later. One of my oldest memories is of First Fall. I was caught out and would have certainly died, but Akke saved me."

@Ivy

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: May 20 2017, 03:35 AM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

E'do moved into the Stands, looking for someone to sit with. He had a cup of klah with him, in an attempt to wake up a bit, given the early hour. Man, you'd think hatchlings could time their births a bit better for the sake of their potential matches, but eh. It was what it was.

Looking around the spectators, the young man spotted someone he knew well enough sitting by herself. He made his way over to where Frayya sat. "Anyone sitting here?" he asked the weaver. If allowed to, he'd sit there. "Any bets on who'd get what? Or on how many choose partners from the Stands today?"

@Ivy

G'len looked his nephew over with approval, taking in the boy's fine clothes. His older sister wasn't one to let any of her relatives go without at least one good outfit in their wardrobes, as evidenced by her son. And himself, if he was honest. Not that he was complaining about it or any such thing. The Wingleader always like good clothes to wear when he needed them.

"Ler's down there in the front," he answered Ly'on. "The little one...there," pointing out where she stood. "She's as excited to be there as any of the first timers are. Hopefully there's no killer in this batch of dragonets, let alone one that wants to target her." The man had seen violent hatchings in the past, and hoped things like the armor and mothers willing to discipline their children would put a stop to the deaths. The Weyr needed the Candidates as much as it needed the dragonets.

G'len looked up when his new Wingsecond decided to join them. As was usual for the man, La'ars was less than talkative; why use unnecessary words to say anything seemed to be his motto. G'len didn't care, so long as the other man talked when Wing business came up it was alright.

Though that didn't keep him from trying to have a casual conversation with the silent giant. "So what do you think of the Hatching so far? See anything like this bunch of oddities at Benden, or anything close?"

After watching the antics of the dragonets (along with the commentary by the one Iron and the Yellow) for a bit, G'len leaned over the edge to catch Rayna's attention. If she choose to move to where he was at, he'd give her one of his charmingly mischievous smiles.

"Hello, beautiful lady. Would you like to come up and join the Wingmeeting currently in progress?" He gestured to the flock of firelizards surrounding them, now numbering 18 in total with the addition of his nephew's fair. And all of them chattering amongst themselves like the humans surrounding them in the rest of the Stands. "For a bribe of a bowl of meat, the Wingleaders are willing to give the humans present a chance to say a word or two before continuing their conversation."

"Sound good to you?"

@Rowana, @Catsitta, @Boo
PMEmail
^
Leo
 Posted: May 20 2017, 04:01 AM
Candidatemaster

385 Posts
3102 Marks

Aiechu's reply to his question was classic Chu. "I dunno, guess we could say the same thing about you." W'rone wiggled his eyebrows for added insult. Someone had to pick up the lazy harper's slack after all. Even if that was Xel whose shoulders were laden enough as it was. He snorted as the term 'Masterharper' came up again. "Yeah, yeah, we get it. All of Pern is singing your praises, oh future Masterhaper." It was a true shame though. W'rone was pretty sure a dragon would be about the only thing that could stop Xel from drinking so much. They had done the best they could, under the circumstances, but they could only do so much. He just wanted to see his friend's song grow, not fade as it did under the influence of alcohol.

The yellowrider was turned from his thoughts by the arrival of Ivy though all it took was a second to categorize her as background noise. "A pleasure," he managed. The last thing he wanted to do was risk the wrath of his dragon by failing to properly greet a lady. N'oir's arrival on the other hand was received with good cheer. "Tempt fate? Hardly. The dragons don't need any interpretations from me to find their accompaniments." His grin was a touch too wily to be truly innocent. 'Oooh, Mine! What a story this is turning out to be!' Above their heads, Sanarth's green eyes buzzed with delight as two hatchlings - a yellow and an iron - gave commentary on the proceedings. She leaned forward in rapt attention, her claws clicking in an echo of the dragons' hatching hum, a habit she had picked up from her rider. 'Look, that burgundy is even trying to start a fight with one of the candidates! How rude.'

W'rone obligingly turned his gaze onto the boxing burgundy. Almost immediately, a rough drum beat came to his mind, and his fingers started to tap out the beat against his leg. Enthralled as they were, the yellow pair completely missed the arrival of the blue dragonet into the stands. It wasn't until Chu started whining about something that the harper looked away. He frowned. "Wh-" He stared. 'Is that-' Sanarth giggled, her head coming to rest neatly upon her forelegs as she looked down upon the familiar rainbows in the blue's eyes. 'Yes. That would be Xe'rik and Blue Byth, forever and always.' Oh. Ohhh. His mouth drew upwards in slow wonder. It had actually happened; Xel had Impressed! But something was wrong, something was- "Aiechu." W'rone's voice dropped low into a fierce whisper. "Baby dragons are still babies. Don't ruin the rhythm."

As far as blaming went, okay, he had been the one to start all this. So he pouted right back at Chu. He continued to pout until the newly dubbed Xe'rik made a comment that he probably should have expected but didn't. "...water. Drink. Water." He stared long and hard at his friend just to make sure he got the point across. Finally, his eyes dropped down to the bundle cradled in his arms. Oh yeah, they should probably say: 'Good morning Byth!' Sanarth's tentative hello was broadcast to everyone in the harper circle. 'And welcome to our merry band of music-makers!' W'rone smiled. "What a tongue-twister."

@Ruin @Rii @Lee @Ivy (bandies)

---

Erochall didn't know what else to say to her roommate. She couldn't comfort her, or order her to the healing camp. All she could do was hope Seiyrsha would be able to ignore the pain caused by the green long enough to get the medical attention she needed once she either Impressed or the hatching was over. That was it. Speaking of, were these dragonets going to get a move on, or what? The brown was...moving, somewhere. And the green was- 'Tell your friend I am sorry for biting her. My name’s Tamanith. I don’t care when people slight me but this was different. My siblings are not as tough as me.' The dark-haired girl swallowed. Was this dragonet talking to her? Or was she just imagining things? 'Some of them have been very hurt by her thoughts.'

She was still standing there, in disbelief, as her eyes met with the rainbows blossoming in Tamanith's calm gaze. She could feel her dragon's deep love for her, her fierce desire to protect everyone she cherished, and a growing sense of hunger that left her needy with longing. 'I want adventure. When can we leave?' Erochall had to lower her head in order to continue to meet the gaze of her green as she strode over to the girl's position. "Tamanith," she breathed. Then a little louder, "My Tamanith." Her heart felt like it was bursting in her chest and she had to take a few seconds before she could kneel in front of the dragonet. She ignored the uncomfortable heat of the sands as it burned its ways through her knees and the soles of her feet, knowing that it was only a touch of discomfort for the exchange of a lifetime. "Why not right now?" Her grin was downright mischievous as she drew her fingers down the sides of Tamanith's neck. 'Yes! Let's go.'

Erochall's hands lifted, then froze. Her dark eyes watched a droplet of ichor work its way down her dragonet's face. "You're hurt." Tamanith growled. 'My clutchbrother. But I'm tough and it's just a scratch.' The weyrling closed her eyes until an echo of pain burned across her face. "Still, we should go see the healer." The green tilted her head to the side, thinking. 'Very well. Then there will be more of my siblings to eat with.' Before they left their place among the candidates, Erochall faced Seiyr once more. "She's sorry. She wanted to protect the feelings of someone important to her." Ero couldn't know what the other girl was thinking in that moment, but she found herself filled to the brim with a wonderful warmth. Like Seiyr, her mother was also a greenrider, but unlike Seiyr, she held no negative associations against greens. Green Enikath had granted Erokella - her mother - her freedom, and now Tamanith had granted the girl hers.

Ero smiled. "You don't need me." Then they were away, to follow Entomath's call. Da'on was completely ignored by the girl (possibly because he was a man), but Yrsavild earned a trader-patented smile. "Would you look at Tamanith's face please? She thinks it's nothing to be worried about, but it's better to be safe than sorry." The green thumped her tail against the ground in displeasure, but would allow her face to be looked - and prodded - at so long as she could keep one eye on the hatching. At last, there was her main source of worry: Oath, in all her glory, working her way to Hers. Tamanith's tail sped up to the point that Ero had to wrestle with their newly established bond in an attempt to calm the green. Why was she so- oh. The weyrling snorted, unable to help herself. "Welcome to the party, Seiyr." Looked like she was stuck with her former roommate after all.

@Ruriko (Seiyrsha) @Ruin (Yrsavild)
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 20 2017, 08:56 AM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

Xialas wanted to groan. Every time something of note happened, the younger boy elbowed him in the ribs and made a comment. He wondered if he was going to have a bruise there by the end of the hatch. His roommate was proving an excitable one. He met most questions with a noise of acknowledgement, until Maus pointed out the newly hatched red hatchling on the sand. Unaware of its burgundy status, the boy with dreams of being a master dragonhealer found himself speechless. It was a miserable looking creature with wretchedly tiny wings. If it could ever keep itself aloft, he would be surprised. Perhaps its odd shell shape kept its third set of limbs from developing properly, and so like a wher, its wings were stunted. Xialas could not say for sure. He just knew it was moving around in an odd, jerky manner.

"I don't know," he confessed. "Her wings may be too small."

A viridian was closing in. It hadn't mauled any of them...yet. He refused to let fear overtake him, "Remain calm." Fortunately, said virdian lost interest in them and went gallivanting elsewhere.

Pale eyes drifted across the continued chaos of the scene. A brown had taken to knocking over seemingly random people and after tipping over a blond candidate called Zaephor, he impressed a tall, moody boy named Aydran. Before Xialas could really come to any conclusions about the pairing, said brown ran off and tried to bowl over the new cyan weyrling. Interesting...He yanked his gaze away. The yellow and iron were no longer acting as commentators. In fact, said iron was making his way towards them. THEM. As in where Maus was elbowing Xialas' ribs black-and-blue. Suddenly, the iron's eyes were a flash of rainbows, and little Maus was...well, Maus'en. Then again, his name was far longer than that before and...had the tiny boy just impressed an iron?

A small smirk formed on his lips. He took pride in many things.

"Looks like both you and your partner have ambitions of professional commentary," Xialas told him, humor in his voice. "So yes, this weyrlingclass will be interesting. Now get out of here so I can have our room in the barracks to myself now." They may have never really spoken before now, but he hardly wished the excitable boy ill. He was moving on. And that was fine. He knew better than to covet a bond that wasn't his. To do so was the height of idiocy.

@Zane | Maus'en

Aydran snorted at Embry's antics. The teen was going to get himself in trouble with a mindset like that, but then again, wasn't that why he'd taken to trying to keep the older boy out of said trouble? Because he obviously couldn't do it himself. Though, that blond teen probably deserved the rude gesture and a future talking to if he was the one who those rumors were about. Because his...whatever...with the harper girl was linked to Embry's name. Though, the body language was off when it came to the whole 'lovers' idea. Maybe the guy was too scared by the hatch to lean towards the harper, but he seemed more angry and fearful than adoring. Like whatever the girl gave him was insulting, yet he had no plans of letting go of it. It was terribly confusing.

He refrained from laughing aloud when the brown literally walked over the candidate. Aside from being now covered in sand and a little bruised up, he was fine. The brown wasn't being hostile. Just...determined. Aydran blinked when said brown approached Embry and him. This was interesting. Was one of them about to be pounced on?

No. No. Those were rainbow eyes.

My instincts told me I needed to walk that path. Sorry it took me a while.
Everyone thought I was red. You must shorten your name. What do you choose? But wait. I have something to do first.

Shorten HIS name. Wait. Had HE just impressed the brown? Aydran blinked, finding that a few names passed through his mind. And since he pointedly refused to call himself something that sounded as girly as A'an (though he was sure plenty of riders had stranger names of their dragon's choosing)...He found himself thinking, 'A'dran, you can call me A'dran.' Dropping that y changed the whole sound of his name, he realized. Making it sharper, almost like an order.

Then suddenly, Wobath was off, chasing down the harper girl.

Gotta finish my path...

Path? Oh. OH! A'dran blinked. His path was every candidate that touched his egg? This was going to be an interesting partnership if his lifemate's definition of path involved walking over people on purpose because of some predetermined path. What had the commenting iron and yellow said? Something about Wobath having a good memory and that he remembered every one of those candidates from the touching.

He needed to go stop his dragon from sitting on the girl...and the cyan was trying to stop him. Okay, now he needed to stop his dragon from getting clawed up by his sibling and then sitting on the girl. But before he did, A'dran looked over his shoulder at Embry. He knew that look. He knew what was going on in the older teen's head and it was nothing good. He was self-destructing over A'dran's impression. He didn't touch the boy or try to comfort him. He'd only make Embry lash out. He wouldn't blame him if he did. Embry's emotions were chaotic at times and they'd only just recently fostered a fragile friendship after turns of hostility. He knew him well enough that his habit of acting out of fear and self-loathing was more of an annoyance than something that startled him.

Knowing that platitudes were neither welcome nor a solution, A'dran crossed his arms and took a step away, casting his voice like a needle at the teen, "Giving up already? And here I thought you wanted to best me." He gave his friend a smirk, "Dare you to catch up if you can." There was nothing more he could offer the teen until he calmed down. When the chaos of the hatching was over and they were allowed to interact with others agains, hopefully Embry would be calm enough to realize that, with as a weyrling, A'dran was going nowhere anytime soon. Dalibor was his home.

"Now...I believe I have something to deal with..."

Hurrying into a jog, he went after his brown. Wobath was undeterred by the cyan trying to protect Hers from him. He didn't want to hurt the girl, just finish his path. She was the last.

I need to finish my path, Loriketh... the brown replied, as if it were the most obvious reasoning in the world. He kept walking forward, intending to walk over the cyan if she continued to stand in his way.

Nia wasn't quite sure what to do. She had a pleading weyrling and a brown that had ran over to the feeding area with his bonded just to...finish his path? He was walking over candidates ever since he hatched. It needed to stop. But the brown was evidently determined.

"I do not think he will hurt you," she told the girl and Hers. "He hasn't hurt anyone so far and I believe he just bonded."

At about that time, newly Impressed brown weyrling A'dran hurried onto the scene.

"Wobath. Stop it," he told the brown in a low, commanding voice. The brown peeked over at him but returned to his route. He was climbing onto and trying to climb over the cyan, his gaze fixed on Rylin. He was going to be a bloody mess at the end of this! He ran a hand through his hair. "Er, he wants to...finish his path...You touched his egg. You're part of a path...apparently."

@Zane | Embry && Rylin

PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates