Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Cyan Beavaeth
Amber Era

Upcoming Hatchings:

With Mutorin of Dalibor's discovery that a number of plants found in the southern jungles can be used as a remedy to stave off the worst of the still unnamed 'plague' the fatalities seem to have tapered off. Most of Dalibor's ill have recovered, if only in time to mourn their losses. Even still a number of Dalibor's wings and prides have seen fit to transfer away following their recovery, as if the Weyr itself was responsible for such a disastrous event - not realizing the plague was spread to the far reaches of Pern by a handful of persons that broke the quarantine in their delirious state.

All things considered life is moving forward calmly for the denizens of Dalibor Weyr and its beholden Holds. Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. Only time will tell what the new Lord and Lady Holder will bring to their Hold, but all are hoping for none but good fortune.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Nevitheran of Gold Nevisk - Rhia

Weyrlingmaster
Rilorden of Blue Gabranth - Zane
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia

Candidatemaster
Al'dr of Blue Fortath - Raining
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Illegitimately Legitimate, AU:17 {Ruri/Ivy}
Ruriko
 Posted: Sep 20 2017, 10:30 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks
Member Inventory: View

@Ivy

S'vor liked to visit his old stomping grounds, even if he was now a dragonrider of Dalibor Weyr, and not Fort. He had quite a few who would remember him at Fort Hold--most of them women--and some were more pleased to see him than others. After he had revisited a couple of them--all in the span of two evenings, at that!--he found himself preparing to leave the next day when the event that would prove life-changing occurred.

He was minding his own business, if one can call flirtations with other women who knew at least of his pillowcrafting ways minding one's own business. He was managing to flirt while checking his riding straps and making sure Absinth was likewise prepared to head back to Dalibor. He'd only intended to stay one evening, to visit a particular raven-haired beauty he'd promised he would see more of. Blue eyed and dark haired, she was a stunning young woman who, though only nineteen Turns, had caught his attention and seduced him while they were both quite drunk. Later, when he'd learned her age, he hadn't really cared. Eighteen was the youngest he'd go, and there were none who'd have words with him about that. Consenting adults and all. So nineteen was hardly too young, in S'vor's books. Just younger than the majority of the women he kept company with--if one could call romps in the furs that.

You bedded both of them one right after the other? You really are shameless.

Absinth's tone only held a hint of scolding. The other part was more amused than anything. S'vor shrugged and grinned. Yes, yes he had. The blond had been persistent. It was hardly right of him to deny her when she would have been offended if he had! Besides, she was a lot of fun; a young woman he'd had some fun with a few nights before he'd left. Yes...no regrets! He chuckled and patted his green on the neck, readying to mount up, when he heard a voice speaking to him. A voice that sounded much younger than any of the women he'd bedded. He turned to see a girl that couldn't have been more than fifteen or sixteen, at oldest. He didn't even wait for her to speak, but held up a hand and told her with a raised eyebrow,

"I'm sorry, my dear. Come back and talk to me when you're about four or five turns older. Eighteen or too young, I'm afraid. I'm flattered though. Really I am. I'm sure you'll be a fantastic beauty when you're older." He winked at her, and turned to mount up once more. Absinth snorted, eyeing the girl. There was something familiar about her...

***hope you don't mind I took a bit of liberties with this last bit! Thought it would be a funny way to go about it. If you mind I'll change it. If you wanted to just have her say his name, and that's his response, and go from there, that was the idea. c: ***
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 12:39 AM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

Excitement thrummed in her chest when one of the older women who worked the washrooms of the Hold found her. S’vor, yes she was certain she’d heard the name correctly, was at Fort Hold right this second. Not knowing how long she had before he might disappear from her life again Orissa dropped what she was doing and took off in a full sprint down the hall nearly bowling someone over as she took the corner leading outside. This was him, it had to be him, she just knew it was going to be him! What would she even say to the man that she wasn’t certain knew she existed? If he knew and had never bothered to come back for her then what? Could she face that kind of rejection from the only family she had (save for her aunt who had already rejected her)? Too many thoughts raced through her mind at once and she found herself in the courtyard breathless and clinging to the locket around her neck.

Ahead she saw a green dragon - S’vor rode a green! - and she doubled her efforts to run as fast as she can. The rider was about to mount up and she couldn’t let him get away. Coming to a halt abruptly before him she nearly toppled herself end over end but managed to somehow catch herself and stay upright. Cheeks were flushed from exertion and one hand still clung tight to her mother’s locket as she stared wide eyed up at the green and her rider. S’vor. His name was S’vor and all she needed to do was say it and introduce herself. It shouldn’t be that hard, she’d only been dreaming of this very moment since the day she learned about her father being a dragonrider. A hero. As a hero he would surely welcome her with open arms and whisk her away from this life where she was a no one to a place where she could make a difference. Perhaps she could someday become a hero, too.

Instead of saying his name when she opened her mouth it was a meek, ”H-hello.” She couldn’t recall when she’d begun to tremble but there she was an anxious mess staring at the man she just knew was her father. Rather than having him turn and recognize her instantly - as if he possibly could recognize a child he didn’t know he had - he looked her over and said he was flattered. Flattered? What was he getting at? It took longer than it should have for his words to sink in and her face scrunched in disgust, ”You think… that is gross.” He might be her father but suddenly the pedestal he’d been placed upon in her mind was quite a bit shorter. Obviously this must be some kind of misunderstanding - surely her father wasn’t the type to take strange women off the street… but what did she know of him outside of what her mother had told her? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

”S’vor?” She wanted nothing more than to throw her arms around the man and hold him tight. To learn the way he smelled and feel him hug her for the first time - but before she could do that it warranted finding out if he really was the man she was looking for or not.

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 09:21 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks

@Ivy

S'vor might have been incorrigible, yet he was not stupid, no matter if he at times acted silly or feigned he knew less than he did. By the look on her face, she was confused. Then, she actually said he was gross. He blinked in surprise. That would be the first time--well, all right, not the first time, but for different reasons!--that anyone of the feminine persuasion had called him 'gross'. Or the male. He sniffed, feigning insult, and then shrugged, turning around once more to finish with his riding straps. It was a fair offer, and her loss if she was disinterested.

Absinth, meanwhile, had eyes on the girl, and they had the slightest hint of yellow to them. Then, slowly, she sent, Mine, this girl seems oddly familiar. Yet I know neither you nor I have laid eyes on her until today. Yet I get this strange sense of familiarity that I cannot place...

S'vor hadn't noticed anything familiar about her. Yet because she was so young, he had not looked closely at her. Absinth, meanwhile, had not taken her eyes off the girl since she'd spoke that first, tentative 'hello'. Yet he trusted his green, and her words made his skin prickle. Then she spoke again. Just his name, but it made the prickling feeling worsen. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up, and he turned, more slowly this time, to face her once more. This time, he did look more closely. There was something oddly familiar about her. He could no more place it than his green, though.

"How do you know my name?" He still hung onto the strap, feeling that he should leave, and now. Yet she had said his name, and he wanted to know from whose mouth this child had heard it. Was she here, perhaps, with a message from someone? Yes, that had to be it! He was feeling so oddly strange for naught. So, he awaited her answer, trying to beat back the instincts he was feeling in his gut. They told him to get up on his delightful dragon, and leave immediately. He could not have, for the world, known why. Perhaps he ought to have trusted his instincts. He was about to find out.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 10 2017, 09:23 PM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

Staring up at the rider she thought for a moment he was going to just leave without giving her the time of day. The green he rode seemed far more interested in Orissa than he did and the dragon’s stare made her somewhat uncomfortable. Shifting her weight from one foot to the other both hands lifted to fidget with her locket, unsure of what else to say as she waited to see if he was indeed going to leave her standing there. When he finally turned a critical eye upon her she stood up a bit taller and dropped one hand away from her locket to rest at her side. Chewing the inner right corner of her bottom lip she took a deep breath, ”My mother told me.”

This was it. This was the moment she’d been waiting for and that she’d played out over and over in her mind. So far it wasn’t going exactly as she’d planned - he hadn’t recognized her immediately and welcomed her with a great big hug. In fact he’d… well she would get back to his initial reaction at some point. Right now she didn’t want to let it leave a dark mark on what would surely turn into a great moment, ”My mother is… was… Parissa.” Would he know just from hearing her mother’s name that he was her father? Surely he remembered her mother - the woman had never forgotten him, nor would she have even if their meeting had not left her with a child to care for. Not wanting to allow him the ability to ruin the moment by not putting everything together in his mind she quickly added, ”Which makes you my father.”

Once more she was gnawing on the inner corner of her lip, nervous and hopeful all at the same time as to how he would take the news. Her dreams had involved him throwing his arms around her in a big hug - is that how things would happen now? Just in case he was in shock or had missed what she said she took the opportunity to properly introduce herself,

”I’m Orissa. Your daughter.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 02:54 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks

@Ivy

Her reply only served to heighten that feeling of discomfort. It was rising to a fluttering in his chest, and not a good kind. Nope--definitely not a good kind. He said the words back, slowly, as if it was both a question, and yet not a question at all.

"Your mother...told you." There was a brief pause between 'mother' and 'told you'. As if he might know exactly what that meant, but it was colored with disbelief. Then she was speaking again, and Absinth snorted loudly. She was a smart green, and while dragons did not have the best of memories, the memory the green managed to drag from S'vor's mind--faint though it was, as he'd bedded quite a few women--and more than quite a few, if he was being frank--was there. Parissa...oh shardit. He remembered her. Blond, pretty...he'd actually spent a little more time with that individual than many of the others. She'd asked him to stay, but he had been young and not the type to commit even then. He had cared about her, but he was only sixteen or so at the time. Only sixteen...

Initiate panic mode. Recognition confirmed. Sixteen. Calculating girl child's approximate age.

Shut it, Sin!

Oh yes, he was indeed losing it a little now. She was speaking still, and he was standing there, staring, as she said the words. Which made him her father. He barely heard her give her name after, only the words 'father', and 'daughter'. He stared blankly at her, for a moment. Then, without a word, and the same blank expression, he turned and got up on his dragon, and left as fast as Absinth could take off.

A few moments later...

They came out of between and Absinth glided down to their weyrledge, both not saying anything. The green cared little for some child she didn't know. Besides, a child who clearly wanted something to do with S'vor, who she believed solely Hers in every way, was nothing the dark green dragon wanted. It was nothing he wanted, and so that worked well enough for her. Only, his mind was a bit of a mess.

S'vor hadn't been able to process, for the first time in his life that he could remember. He'd left her standing there, and he could see the look on her face as he'd done so even now. He didn't want to think about it, though. Of course he had a child or even two or three out there. He'd bedded plenty of women and not all of them had been dragonriders. Some of them hadn't even been women. They'd been men. If a woman didn't take a short trip between, it was very possible she might have gotten pregnant. Yet he'd only been sixteen when he'd been with Parissa. He'd gotten attached to her, and he'd left before she could tie him down. She'd wanted to be mated to him for life, and he...he had wanted freedom and to continue living his life the way he had been then, and even more so now. Freedom was something too important for the man to give up for a settled life with just one woman. Some might think they'd be lucky to settle down with a good person. He'd had plenty enough chances for that, himself. Yet he was quick to let them know it was not going to be a permanent arrangement, and perhaps not even more than a night. Many didn't mind that, while others still got attached anyways. He always left quickly, and often with little to say, when he noticed that this was happening.

Still, as young as Parissa had been...he couldn't fault a teen girl for falling in love. He didn't understand much about teenage girls, but he recalled quite a few of them had done so. When he'd been younger, especially. Even now, those who were under twenty, or even some over, were fast to fall, and hard to shake unless it was done so abruptly and in a manner that could leave no mistaking he wasn't interested in pursuing things further.

It was not your fault, mine. She did not even bother to tell you she was pregnant.

I left her with no mistaking that I wanted nothing more to do with her, Sin. I certainly made it clear I did not want to spend the rest of my life in a Hold with her. Can you blame her? Like as not the foolish girl did it to spare me feeling tied down.

No matter. Forget about that girl child. You owe her nothing. She may be clutched by that one you mated long ago, but that does not mean you owe it to her to have any more to do with her other than bring about her hatching.

S'vor knew his green was right. She had to be what, then? Fourteen or so? Why did she even want to meet him? It had been turns--her whole life. She clearly hadn't bothered trying to get into contact with him--and why should she? Her mother had likely raised her, and a girl child didn't really need a father the way a son might, now did she? Yet that look...had it been excitement? Hope?

He told himself it didn't matter what it had been. She could run on back to her mother, and resume her life the way it had been all along. He didn't owe her anything, it was true. So why he let her get under his skin, even just a little, was beyond him. He should have simply told her that even if he was, it hardly mattered. She wouldn't exactly be honored to have a father like himself. A girl like that didn't need to know what her sire was getting up to in his free time. Probably would embarrass her--not that he cared if it did or did not. He was who he was, and made excuses to no one for what he was like. All of his partners were fully consenting adults over the age of eighteen turns. He would bed no one any younger than this, and so it could never be said he took partners that did not know precisely what they were doing. Why was he thinking about it, anyhow?

Why indeed. Let's get dinner and then perhaps I might sun some before it goes down after you bathe and oil me.

Absinth meant to distract him from his thoughts, and it seemed, at least, to work for the moment. He agreed, and he tried, for a couple sevendays, to forget about the girl child...her name was what, again? Orissa? Didn't matter though. Shouldn't...
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 05:34 PM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

Hope soon gave way to heartbreak as he parroted her words back to her and then… left. Standing there with her mouth agape she watched in utter disbelief as he mounted his dragon and took to the skies, disappearing between in the blink of an eye. This was… it wasn’t how it was supposed to go. She thought that maybe he would have questions about her, about her mother. He had barely paused when she mentioned that she was his daughter - if anything he seemed to move faster upon the revelation. It didn’t take long after he disappeared for the tears to come; at first she blinked rapidly in an attempt to stave them off. She was in the middle of the courtyard with people going to and fro, a few familiar faces in the masses drew her attention but soon they all blurred together as the tears began to fall down her cheeks. Steady streams of her broken dreams and heartache she was left standing there with reddening cheeks crying until one of the kitchen workers that was fond of her spotted her. Hands clasped on her shoulders and gently pulled her close into a warm embrace - the embrace she’d been hoping would come from her father. Led inside she was shielded from prying eyes as a girl crying to herself was not something that went unnoticed for long.

...two sevendays later…

Once she had heard the phrase ‘time heals all wounds’, she wasn’t convinced that was entirely true. Time hardly healed the wound of her mother’s passing - though as time went on it became easier to go about day to day things without being so sorrow filled. As the sevendays passed since she met her father the pain his sudden departure caused had faded, but only just. It still stung to think of him and she’d cried herself to sleep a number of times. She couldn’t puzzle out why he had left without acknowledging her. Clearly he hadn’t known about her and she supposed it was a lot to take in on the spot, but to leave how he had… it was unforgivable. Growing up she’d only heard about how he was a grand hero but as the days passed by, hope now turned to bitterness, she was beginning to see what he truly was. A coward.

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 08:33 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks

@Ivy

The next two sevendays were frustrating for S'vor. Try as he might, he could not seem to forget the look on that girl's face as he had left her there, standing with her mouth agape, looking like she was set to begin crying at any second. He wasn't sure if she had or had not, because he had quickly looked away and disappeared into between to escape that look, and the whole situation. He didn't want to think about her. Yet whereas before he'd never so much as glanced beyond a moment's brief notice at children about the Weyr, suddenly he was startling at every blond weyrbrat and girl-child that even slightly resembled Orissa.

Yes, he'd remembered her name. No, he didn't want to have. There was nothing he could do for it. Absinth would quickly try and suggest he occupy himself with this or that young woman or man. She would change the subject abruptly the moment it seemed like Hers was going to bring the child up. Yet he was in such a mood that he was off his game entirely. He didn't know what she wanted to do with him. Why had she looked so sharding hurt by his leaving? He was no one to her. He shouldn't have been. She had her mother, and probably her mother's family. Why had she sought him out? She'd ruined everything.

He was drinking a bottle of Benden to try and forget about her, and get back on his game, when he stood up, and excused himself from the game of dragon-poker he'd been playing. He'd even divested himself of the pretty kitchen worker on his lap, apologizing to her and telling her he promised to resume things 'perhaps tomorrow evening'. Excused himself, saying he had a headache and wanted to retire early. It was very early evening, though. Even his fellow dragonmen and women at the table had given him suspicious looks. S'vor never retired early, and a headache he usually shrugged off with a chuckle. He had been acting a bit strange lately, they would say. They had no idea, though, for he'd said nothing to no one about Orissa or his visit to the Hold. Even when he'd been asked how things were, he quickly changed the subject after a brief 'it was all right, things were well'. Also very unlike him, for he had no problem sharing what he'd gotten up to and being a source of amusement--or he liked to think a little envy?--for it.

He found himself back in his weyr, laying flat on his back and staring at the ceiling, long legs hanging over the edge of the bed as he tried not to think.

You are going to bed terribly early. This is unlike you, to go to bed, alone, so early. You do not have a headache as you told them.

I do not, no.

With that said, he sat up with furrowed brows, and looked towards the weyr ledge where the dark green reclined, sunning after her meal.

We have to go back.

Absinth knew what he meant, and made to protest.

I have just eaten. I do not want to fly now.

Don't give me that. I can't take thinking about this. I don't know what she wanted with me, but clearly it was something. I dislike not knowing things. You know that.

It doesn't matter what she wanted. It is not her place to want anything from you or I. Let her be. She will forget about it and move on with her life, as we should with ours.

S'vor was quiet a moment, considering that. She would, wouldn't she? Move on with her life. So would he. So should he. He probably had other children, Faranth knew where. He never gave them a second thought. He'd never seen them, nor left them with such dour expressions, but did that matter? Maybe he ought to go back to that pretty drudge in the kitchens. That would give him something else to think about.

Yes, you should. Go do that, then. I will sun here, and you go and keep her company.

He stood up, and was about to go do just that. But then he got a flashback of the girl's face again. He closed his eyes, put a hand to his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. Shardit. Why him?

We're going back.

Really, mine? Can you not just let it well enough alone?

No, I can't. At least we can hear what she wanted. Then we can come back, so I don't have to feel bad thinking about her silly expression.

Why should you? You did nothing wrong.

Maybe not. But tell my brain that. It doesn't agree for some reason. It wasn't very nice to leave her like that. Maybe she just wanted to meet me. Faranth knows why. I didn't have to be a tailfork about it.

You were not.

I was. Let's go.

And that decided it. S'vor fastened the straps, and a displeased Absinth took off and blinked into between, only to reappear over Fort Hold once more. Landing, S'vor dismounted and began asking after a blond child, about 'this high', named Orissa. In no time at all, he'd been told where he might find her, and was walking with purpose--he'd convinced himself he wanted to find her and make amends for his rudeness, but really he did not know why he was here, in truth. Or what he meant to say or do when he found her. Or what she'd say. He hated not knowing.

Parissa had been saving marks so that she might be a Healer one day. S'vor didn't know she'd gotten pregnant and that this had been the reason she could not pursue this dream. Didn't know that, bitter irony, she'd died of illness when Orissa was much younger. No...in his ignorance, he expected that Parissa was a Journeyman, likely soon to be a Master. That her child might have been raised in the Hold creche, and life would have been good for the pair. So when he was directed to the drudges quarters, there was some confusion there. Why there? Some of the doors were ajar, showing he was in an area with smaller, single rooms. He peeked in to see that there was room enough for a bed, desk with chair, and a dresser or small wardrobe...little else. He lightly bit the inside of his cheek as he came to the room he'd been instructed to go to. He lifted a hand to knock, and hesitated. He could go, now, and she'd never have known he had come at all. What was he even doing here, anyhow? He wasn't entirely sure. Some misplaced guilt?

Still, as though he had not full control over it, the hand found itself knocking, once, twice, and thrice. He felt no small measure of discomfort standing outside the closed door, wondering if he should be here, or if he ought to just turn and go. He was rarely uncomfortable. Never awkward. This was quite the difference for the man. Still, he waited, and even if he thought of turning and leaving, he did not.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Nov 1 2017, 10:38 PM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

Days melted into one another with the girl doing what she was supposed to do but not much else. More than one person had commented on her looking down in the dumps, more than one person had tried to make her smile. Tried to make her forget the fact her father had abandoned her to live life all alone. He was nothing like she had been told; S’vor was not the hero in her story but the villain when it came down to it. She knew it shouldn’t get to her the way it did, she knew she should pick herself up and move on but it hurt so much. How it could hurt so badly to miss someone she didn’t even know she couldn’t say but it did all the same. Not in the same manner it had hurt to lose her mother - nothing even close - but it was perhaps the most she’d hurt since then.

Chores were done for the day, she’d helped in both the laundry and the kitchens. She’d taken the meal that was prepared for her by one of the kind ladies in the kitchen but she had no intention of eating it. Perhaps she would pick at it over the next few candlemarks but it was far more likely she’d go to bed without eating anything as she had the night before. Ever since he’d left her standing there crying she hadn’t had much of an appetite. It was a wonder she wasn’t showing any signs of weight loss, though she had lost at least half a stone. If things continued this way she’d likely be sent to the infirmary; though the healers there would no doubt lack a cure for a broken heart.

Curled on her small bed she stared at the wall barely moving when there was a knock on her door. Probably the woman from the kitchens come to check on her and her meal. Rolling over on her side she picked up a chunk of bread, ”It’s good, really you don’t have to check on me. I’ll eat it all.” Her voice was flat with no indication she was happy or sad; those that knew her would miss the bubbliness often found in her voice. With a heavy sigh she took a bite of the bread, eyes shifting to the door when the knock repeated, ”You can come in and see for yourself ma’am. I’m eating.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Nov 4 2017, 09:09 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks

@Ivy

There was no way he could have known how his behavior had affected the girl who had called herself his daughter. If he felt guilty, it was because his actions had not left him with a good taste in his mouth. The way she'd looked as he'd left had haunted him to the point of distraction. Yet it wasn't him that was truly harmed by what he'd done. It was Orissa.

When her reply came, it was hardly one he expected. Someone was checking in on her to make sure she ate...? That was the only meaning he could garner from it. Was she ill? After his second knock, she spoke again. Well, it was clear she expected someone else who was not him. That was just as well, since he had in no way announced his intentions to come back and speak with her. He wasn't precisely sure what he planned to say. Shells, he didn't have a plan. He was just winging this. Brought back out of some strange sense of responsibility to do so. Not that he felt responsible for her, generally speaking. Just to not leave her with no explanation, with that expression she'd worn. It was as though he'd betrayed her somehow. Failed her when he was fairly certain it was not his place to even try and do otherwise. So, when she said that whoever 'ma'am' was could come in, he entered.

He saw her there, looking a good deal more dour than when he'd saw her last. How had she looked then? Hopeful. It had unsettled him. It was like she was expecting something from him. Something he wasn't sure he could give her. Something he wasn't sure he wanted to give her. He was not father material. He might have spread the seed that had grown this fruit, yet he had hardly tended it beyond the planting. Her mother had done that, hadn't she? Speaking of...why was she in a room that looked to be for a single girl? Where did her mother sleep? Having to face Parissa wasn't precisely what he wanted, so he was not sorry for her absence. Yet there was a nagging, troubling feeling in the back of his mind. Why, at the age she looked, was she not living in a room with her mother...?

"Not who you were expecting, I think," he finally said, after a moment's silence. She was holding a heel of bread in one hand, and he was looking at her for the first time since meeting her. Really looking, anyway. She looked a lot like her mother. Yet, though it made the hair on the back of his neck stand a little, he could see some of his own features in her face. Shells, this girl-child looked somewhat like him. Only more feminine, of course. Definitely of course. He did not look feminine in any way! He fell silent once more, and then cleared his throat and asked awkwardly, "you don't share quarters with your mother?" It was something to say. The silence was far too uncomfortable to be let alone to drag out. He looked about the room, having a hard time keeping his gaze on her, and seeing bits of himself more and more in there. It was a simple room, like a drudge or apprentice might have. As a dragonrider, his weyr was far, far bigger and more comfortable.

Suddenly he had questions he tried to push aside. She was old enough to be an apprentice, was she not? Then it struck him...she was old enough to Stand. She did not live at a Weyr--if she knew her father was a dragonman, why did she not move with her mother to the Weyr? Perhaps she was an apprentice, and did not wish to Stand. It was her life, and not his business, and yet the questions weaseled their way into his mind, burrowing like little grubs eating away at Threads. Absinth stayed quiet, having nothing to say. She was displeased they'd come, he knew. Still, she would offer her two marks, he was sure, at some point--or points--in their interchange.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 02:26 PM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

When the door opened she fully expected to see one of the women from the kitchen there to check on her. They’d all been concerned about her since she’d returned a crying mess after meeting her father - he’d just left her there without an explanation or really anything. Hadn’t she deserved something from him? Even if only closure but his quick departure didn’t offer that at all, only a million more questions that nagged in the back of her mind like a poison. Instead of a woman she saw the dragonrider, her father, and she blinked a few times as if she thought he was only in her head. He spoke and suddenly she realized he was really there, it was enough to make her heart skip a beat. The elation lasted only a moment before the poison in the back of her mind began to work through her once more. Was he here simply to tell her he didn’t want her? He’d already said as much without a word when he left so had he come back just to make sure she didn’t seek him out again? Was he here to deny he was her father when any fool could see she looked just like her mother had with bits of him intermingled in her features? Slowly she sat up and set the chunk of bread on the small bedside table, one leg crossed in front of her so her foot sat against her inner thigh. ”What are you…” Her question was implied but she only managed to breath half of it before he spoke again. His question caught her off guard - for some reason she’d expected him to know about her mother.

Parissa had always done so well at trying to keep up with him, she’d seemed to know so much about him by all the tales she shared with Orissa. All of those had been make believe based on things everyone knew about dragonriders. Everyone knew they flew Thread so when Parissa told the young girl about how bravely he’d flown it had just been conjecture not fact. Everyone knew they went to hatchings and feasts and gathers so when she told Parissa about what a great dancer he was and how he was the life of the party, while some of that may be true from what the woman recalled of him, overall it had been just another tall tale. Everything she’d told the girl had been things garnered through common sense and things imaginary, none of it had ever been the whole truth but until now Orissa hadn’t realized it. Until she met him the first time she’d thought that maybe he was keeping tabs on her mother as well. In her mind she’d pretended they had some grand love affair and his work as a dragonrider was all that kept him away; all that kept him from coming back for her as well. She knew it was silly but some part of her had hoped it was true. Now she knew it wasn’t, she knew that he’d never known of her and thus he hadn’t known that Parissa had died and left her alone. ”She doesn’t have quarters to share.” Voice was kept soft though some amount of bitterness permeated her words, ”She died when I was eight and her family, my family, turned me away because she’d never been properly joined to the man who fathered me.” Silence stretched out between them for what felt like an eternity but was only mere seconds before she finally added, ”You.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 01:00 PM
Wingsecond

452 Posts
15 Marks

@Ivy

He supposed it made sense she was surprised to see him. He'd left so abruptly, the girl likely thought she'd never see his face again. Some part of him told himself it was far better, for her, if she didn't. He didn't know what she wanted with him. He hadn't even known she'd existed, for starters. So he'd never been a part of her life. He couldn't have known that due to her mother's stories, he really had been. He'd been real to her, while he had not even known he had a daughter. He had been painted as some kind of hero--the person that Parissa had told her daughter of was mostly a lie. He didn't really and truly exist. While the intention behind it might have been good, the end outcome was that she was going to figure this out on her own. She had him on some kind of pedestal. He did not belong on it. The half-truths that were easily spoken by the girl's mother--they could have applied to any dragonrider. Perhaps to some, they did. Not to S'vor of green Absinth. Not entirely.

S'vor was many things. He was talented. Charming and charismatic. Outspoken, bold, and brave. If one only saw him at his best, truly it would be easy to spin such charming tales. Parissa had known that about him. She'd done him a service, in some senses. She'd painted his best side. Yet the other side had been completely glossed over, and painted just as prettily. He was also self-absorbed, basically a pillowcrafter--though he hardly got paid--and he didn't simply live inside the neat little box that a 'good' dragonman ought to. He was Wingsecond, and that was something. There were plenty who would admire him for his good traits, but there were plenty who would look at his behavior--the sleeping around bit, charming and holding one or a couple night stands with women before moving along to the next--and be rather disgusted that he was so free with himself. He was a bit of a rogue, it was true. He hardly cared what anyone thought of that. In his opinion, it was not a stain on his character. He was respected where it counted, and that was that.

When the girl spoke again, S'vor frowned, brows furrowed. She didn't have quarters to share, because...oh. Orissa finished what she'd started, and a look of genuine surprise crossed his features. There wasn't any way he could have known that. Just as, without being told, he couldn't have known about her. That last bit, though...did she blame him? They'd been the same age, and she'd been perfectly consenting and had not told him anything about her life, his...he had issues even thinking the word daughter. Yet that's what she was, regardless of what he was able to call her or not. That had not been his fault. Yet there was a silence, before she punctuated the sentence with the 'you' bit. Well...where to go from there. Silence, again, as he looked about the room, shifting his stance. This was not a man who was often ever made to feel discomforted. Yet he didn't know what she expected from him. Now he felt she might blame him for her ill treatment. Finally, a little carefully--he didn't even know how to speak to a girl-child, let alone his get--he spoke.

"That was ill done on the part of your family," he conceded. Another pause, as he tried to think of what to say to her. "You are old enough, I think, to know that two consenting adults may do as they please. Often they are not wed simply because of any brief relationship--physical or not--they may have." He tried speaking to her as he would a wounded animal, aiming for gentleness, though he didn't know if he was managing well at all. His own words, for the first time, felt a little strange to him. "I am sorry about your mother, truly. Yet I was not even aware you existed until we first met. It was very much unexpected. I knew neither of you, nor your mother's passing." He did not feel he'd done wrong. If anything, Parissa might have told him. Oh, he knew why she did not. Yet for the girl's sake, she might have done. Perhaps she planned to tell her when she was old enough to Stand? She was of dragonrider blood. Since it seemed, from this girl finding him, she had at least known her father was a dragonman, why had she waited this long to try and find him, and claim her birthright? What to say, what to say? He was frustrated that this was proving difficult. It should not have been, at all. Still, the nagging 'what does she want from me?' was ever-present.

"I apologize for my abrupt departure. I suppose that, too, was ill done." He offered an awkward, not very comfortable, smile. "Finding out I have...ah...that you exist. It really was a shock. I am ill equipped to deal with this kind of thing, you understand. I am sure you expected something else...yet your expectations were yours. I had none whatsoever, as I was in the dark. I did not even know of you, while you clearly know of me. I'm not sure what your mother told you about me. Yet again, she told me nothing of you." Would she understand, at all? She'd laid the shock of his life upon him, and likely expected it to go differently than it had. While he should have expected illegitimate children, for some reason, his mind had never gone there. It now was there in near constant. How many mini-S'vor's were running about Pern? Was this his only child, or did he have others that would just pop up like weasels out of tunnelsnake holes? The thought did not rest well with the man.

"What is it you want from me?" There, he'd out with it. She wanted something. With her mother passed turns ago, again he wondered why she had not sought him, and her rights as his get, far sooner. And so, unable to shake that query, he asked it. "One thing: why did you not seek me out sooner? Your mother was gone, and it sounds as though you received poor treatment from those who should have taken you in as kin. So why did you not claim your birthright as the blood of a dragonrider? You have the right to Stand--were you not aware?" He raised an eyebrow. What he had just said sunk in, though. Shardit. He had just told her she'd the right to Stand...'and where was she going to do [i]that genius?'[/i] The only place he could vouch for her best. He'd have to admit to who she was. And she...she would end up at Dalibor Weyr. It caused the most uncomfortable feeling, like bugs under the skin, that thought. At the same time, he was not a total tailfork.

Dalibor was his home, now--his and Absinth's, who would really not be pleased. In fact, he could feel her unbridled, open irritation with him. She certainly did not want the girl about. He was hers and no one else's. Well, he'd deal with that later, if she didn't want to just stay in this place. He would not, were he her. Most would jump at the chance to Stand. Yet she hadn't come to him yet...so perhaps there was more to it. Or perhaps, somehow, she had really not known...? Well, he assumed he would find out very soon.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Dec 3 2017, 10:28 PM
Alphahandler

1176 Posts
842 Marks

Disappointment settled heavily upon her chest as he spoke, continuously denying any knowledge of her existence as if that gave him all the right in the world to leave her behind as he had. Somewhere in her young mind she knew she couldn’t rightfully blame him and yet as she glowered at him she was doing just that. How could he have not known that her mother had passed, how could he stand there and blame her mother - the only family to have ever loved her - for not telling him when he had been the one that left her behind? True he needed to fly Thread but plenty of riders had families, didn’t they? He was speaking of people not being wed just because they shared a bed, she was no dimglow and she knew plenty of how those things worked. ”You didn’t love her.” It was not a question despite all the turns of her life having led up to this with her thoroughly convinced he had loved her mother; her tone was flat and even as she regarded him with tired eyes, a hint of betrayal glistening behind the tears that were slowly welling up in her eyes.

More words. Excuses, really, and she knew it. Then there was silence as he finished with his many words and excuses, repeating time and time again she’d existed without his knowledge all this time. A question finally left his lips, ’What is it you want from me?’ Before he could continue on with more questions she spoke up, ”To know you.” It was simple but it was the truth, all she’d ever wanted from the man was to know him and be known by him in return. To somehow share in his life even if some small way; the hopes he would welcome her with open arms had been dashed by his abrupt departure when they first met. Yet he’d come back, and that fact alone offered some amount of hope for their future - whatever that might be. ”I didn’t know where to look… I was a child, how was I to find you when I’m here and you were… wherever it was you were.” He hadn’t been at Fort Weyr, if he had been then surely reaching out to him would not have proved as difficult as it was. She’d asked so many people, so many riders, to pass word along to him but none ever followed through. Some had not heard of him, others had and simply laughed when she told them she was his daughter. Until now she hadn’t realized why they’d found it so amusing. ”Would they have believed me if I made my way to the Weyr claiming to be your daughter? You didn’t even believe me when we first met.” Bitterness still present in her words she felt a few tears roll down her cheeks. Nothing about this was going as planned but there was something he’d said that she clung to.

”I can be a candidate?” While she’d always known that was how these things worked without having him in her life she never thought it a true possibility for her. The idea she could stand upon the sands for a dragon hatching at the Weyr - but which Weyr? ”Can I… Can I do that? Not at Fort, that’s not where you live anymore is it? Where do you live? Take me with you, please?” No more bitterness but now there was a desperate note in her voice, perhaps if he took her with him to be a candidate they could work on their relationship. She could learn more about him, the real him, and he in turn could learn all about the daughter he never knew he had.

@Ruriko

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates