Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Uninvited Guests, WI: 17 Cairenn/Aglaktii
Tobes
 Posted: Dec 10 2017, 01:07 PM
Wingrider

151 Posts
1966 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Morning found Aglaktii tucked safely within the confines of her weyr, wringing the last moments of sanctuary from it that could be got before Kangath could no longer be contained. They were both morning people—and Kangath was ‘people’ so far as his rider was concerned, both wise as an elder and innocent as an infant, and no more a mere beast than her dear Icehowler was—but the Burgundy took the term to new lengths. He was up before sunlight had crested the lip of the eastern wall, although they had at least reached a compromise in which he could see himself down to the feeding pens and back before insisting that Aglaktii begin her work, too. And there was little work to be done as of late. Still in the late stages of winter and post-illness, Dalibor was in a state of hibernation borne of weariness and despair. They had lost so many folk, bonded or not. Even one of Kangath’s siblings had leapt between… and never come back. All of her medicinal plants had been harvested for the season, the dirt emptied from their leather pots, the seeds saved for spring. For all the good that it had done. Her eyes glanced over and off the satchels that now bore the dried remains of those beloved plants. Some of the Healers had promised to look into their usage further, but no one had had time right then, not with the plague of their heads. Not with Aglaktii too far gone into fever to properly explain their use, or to come off as anything other than mad.

Aglaktii pulled the fur from her bed to wrap around her shoulders, not necessarily cold but relishing the feeling of bone-deep warmth. She had eschewed the usual asceticism of the Weyr-borns’ weyrs—naked stone was intolerably suffocating, so she had embellished every surface as well as could be managed from her meager stores. Furs broke up the outlines of the floor and hung from the few natural outcroppings set into the walls, held there by polished river stones. She had gathered wherry bones, feathers, branches, anything of the natural world that might be acquired, and tied and twisted them together into wall hangings that shifted and clicked together whenever the wind came through. In one corner was a large brazier, its coals currently dead, that still wafted the faint smell of burning herbs. It was a nice room, and it was hers, but it was not home. Half rider, half Wastewanderer, it was as incongruous in this place as she still so often felt. Chinuk, her Icehowler, was curled into a tight ball at the end of the bed, still snoring, and the sound of him filled her with a terrible homesickness. She was lonely here.

No excuse for that, mate, Kangath chided. It was good timing—he had been out to hunt among the herdbeasts, though in the end decided on a wherry more appropriate to his size. Waste not want not. He landed lightly on his ledge and wedged the whole front half of his body through his half of the weyr into hers. If he really wanted to he could have come all the way inside—and he did still, on occasion—but he had a habit of breaking things and perhaps it was better to keep ones’ tail out of mischief. C’mon now, buck up, let’s see if we can’t find a bit of fun. Truthfully, he was still full of frustration at the loss of his sibling. Lyreth had been part of his family, his group! It wasn’t fair that His had not survived. But there was no one to be angry at, and so all Kangath could really focus on was cheering up his rider.

“You know I can look after myself. And I’m not so affected as the rest of them, you know.” She rose and hugged the warm brown of Kangath’s snout with unabashed affection. He whuffed and the spicy smell of dragon filled the space, mingling with leather, fur, and herbs. “The People are used to death. There is little safety on the plains, even in numbers. Icemaulers, illness, starvation, sheer cold—these Weyr-people are soft to loss.” Fair dinkum, mate.

He watched with impassively whirling eyes while his rider moved through her morning routine, lost interest, and wandered back to his ledge. A sudden thought lit those same eyes up with excited green. Feeling his surge of emotion Aglaktii went out to join him, dressed without her formal riding leathers yet but in the full warmth of a Wastewanderer’s usual garb. It was only the work of a few minutes to outfit him in his own riding harness—she had an easier time of it than the younger weyrlings, or those not accustomed to strenuous activity. Someday she would be tempted to not bother with such things, especially for something so short as the flight they were about to take, but the Weyrlingmaster had had a sobering effect on the already serious woman. Bracing himself on his tail, Kangath reared up, launched himself into the air… and promptly landed on the ledge next door. They had been in the air for less than a second.

How ya going, Ingoth? the Burgundy called with familiar ease to his much-larger sibling. It had not occurred to him that she might take umbrage with his taking up part of her ledge, but she was not quite full-grown, and there was more than enough space for both of them yet. He reared up again, his forepaws making their familiar boxing motions as Aglaktii slid down from his neckridges. I reckon Mine needs a mate right about now, and maybe yours does too. Aglaktii hesitated on the cold ledge, somewhat more concerned for decorum than her dragon. What if the Red or her rider should take offense? It wasn’t the usual way to greet someone. So she waited, not quite uncertain but not willing to press the matter until Kangath had tested the waters a little further.

@Aftershock
PMEmail
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Dec 10 2017, 11:51 PM
Wingrider

137 Posts
325 Marks

Ingoth, lying on her couch inside her portion of Cairenn's weyr, clearly did not expect company, quickly stuffing something she was holding into one of the clattering pile of herdbeast bones that she had collected around her couch. "Good morning, brother," came the red dragon's traditionally growling reply, her voice unchanged as she matured. Her swirling green/blue eyes showed that the growl was merely her natural mindvoice, however, and she was not openly bothered by her clutchbrother's sudden appearance on her weyr ledge, and she continued, "It feels as if it has been a while since we have spoken outside of Ours' lessons. What brings you to my ledge today?"

Hearing his response, she sat quietly for a moment, then replied in a quieter mindvoice, "Mine has separated from the others for many months now, and so I have watched the pack from the outside, as is my way. I do not know what her reaction would be to someone approaching her at this point, but you may try." Her mindwords were sent to both Kangath and Aglaktii, and she then added, "She is awake, but meditating. It would be best to not disturb her until she is done. I will let her know you are here, if you would like."

@Tobes
PMEmail
^
Tobes
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 01:21 AM
Wingrider

151 Posts
1966 Marks

Kangath, finding no aggression to stop his path, was so bold as to poke his head into Ingoth’s inner weyr. He noted the collection of bones that adorned its walls, not much for interior design himself, but it reminded him of Aglaktii’s weyr and so felt more homey than morbid. He was certain his rider had some bones too, in among the river stones and dried plants, though he did not know why that made it any better a space than bare stone and his own body to fill the whole thing.

Aglaktii, though no less bold, had a healthy ingrained fear of anything that made noises quite like Ingoth did. The Weyrlingmaster was very clear that no dragon would ever knowingly harm a human, any human, even one invading its personal space, but even a telepathic growl was enough to set her back on her heels. But Kangath was steadfast, and not so prone to misunderstanding his own kinds’ intentions. He used the crook of his wingjoint to shepherd her forward. A dragon wouldn’t get cold hanging about on the ledge during the deep of winter, and maybe a well-dressed Wastewanderer wouldn’t either, but he knew she was at least capable of cold. The young woman bowed to Ingoth, her own eyes glancing over the assortment of bones. Like an Icemauler’s den, but warm with the comforting scent of dragon. It was a disconcerting combination.

“Good morning, Ingoth. If it will not disturb her, I would be indebted if you would let her know we are here. I would be glad for her company.” She knew it wasn’t much done, but it felt wrong not to address the Red as she would any other person, even if she were a much larger, toothier version. Kangath did not always need to act as a go-between.

The Burgundy hummed a thoughtful noise and dipped his head in response. His voice was for Ingoth alone this time. Fair dinkum mate, we’ve all been spewin’ these days. His head dipped a little lower, not quite guilty, but feeling somewhat complicit in Ingoth’s isolation. He had not reached out much either, in part because of Aglaktii’s reluctance to integrate with Weyr life, but in part also due to his own desire to take their work seriously. Too seriously, maybe. Gotta work harder to get a real mob togetha, gotta stop muckin’ around with nothin’ but lessons and uppin’ ourselves, eh mate? But maybe they’ll give each other a fair go and be friendly-like.

@Aftershock
PMEmail
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 03:08 AM
Wingrider

137 Posts
325 Marks

The red dragon, perched on her couch, towered over the young woman as she was shepherded into the room... even at a little over halfway to maturity, even Ingoth's eye was about the size of the girl's entire torso. She nodded once at Aglaktii's request, paused for a moment, then replied, "She is aware of your visit, and will be out as soon as she is finished." Directly to Kangath, Ingoth sent, "We have lost two of our clutchsiblings... Lyreth could not resist the call of between after losing his to disease, but Quoth's just... left us. I don't want to lose any more of us... I don't know what drove Quoth's away, to take her with him, so I don't know what to do, or what to avoid, to keep us from losing another. It pains me to lose any of my pack, but to something that might have been avoided... that is the worst pain of all. Mine was never close to any of the others, and has only grown more distant as time has gone on... perhaps together we can learn how best to keep the pack together, keep us from losing anyone else." As she mindspoke, Kangath could likely hear the pain and self-doubt evident in Ingoth's mindvoice, even beneath the natural growl that was always present.

A few minutes later, a stirring behind the leather curtain separating the couch room from the bedroom presaged Cairenn emerging, her arms snaking around herself from the shock of the temperature change and her eyes squinting from the increased brightness of the room, exposed to the outdoors as it was. She had clearly done nothing to prepare for company despite the warning, her thick chocolate brown hair frazzled and wild, and wearing nothing but a sleeveless, mid-thigh white cotton nightshirt and white cotton slippers. Exposed to the air as they were, the lines of muscle tone in her legs and arms were clear, a far cry from the soft smoothness of her muscles from her time as a Candidate and the beginning of weyrlinghood. Gone, too, was the impression of overblown confidence from her face and posture, replaced with a look of calm acceptance... the look of someone who knew she didn't have to impress anyone except herself. "Hello, Aglaktii, what brings you here?" Cairenn asked, walking over to Ingoth's couch, wherein the dragon lowered a massive claw and easily helped the girl up to sit upon the red's tail, her back against Ingoth's rump and her legs propped over her bonded's folded tail.

@Tobes
PMEmail
^
Tobes
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 10:47 AM
Wingrider

151 Posts
1966 Marks

“Thank you, Ingoth.” Aglaktii made a very formal bow, the expression clearly well-practiced. She rarely bothered with such things when it came to Kangath, but he was both a less-formal sort of dragon to begin with, and close enough that it felt a little silly. Even if she respected him as much as any dragon, even if he were less serious than some. Though the emotions that filtered through their connection at that moment were rising to a pitch a touch more than ‘serious,’ and she wondered what it was that the two were talking about, for it was very clear that they were. But he was his own person, and she would not demand that he keep no secrets from her, even if they were being whispered right overhead. The Burgundy clearly did have feelings about the loss of the two dragonets, and to take his feelings out reared back, making a few swipes at thin air with his forepaws.

And that’s a right sorry state of things! We’re stronger togetha, Quoth should’a known that. I have half a mind to go and tell her myself and bring them back. He paused in his boxing, dropping his head a little. I reckon Koeneth would have somethin’ to say about that though. He whumped back down onto all fours, no longer able to prop himself up indefinitely as in his younger days. He But Ingoth’s tone seemed to draw him out of his funk a little. Don’t let it wear you down, mate. Let’s keep it togetha and I’m sure we’ll come out all right.

Aglaktii kept her expression politely blank at Cairenn’s appearance, though her mind ran with ideas. What did it say that the other weyrling saw no reason to present a refined facade to her equal? Were they not equals at all, then? Or did it speak to comfort, familiarity, or just a notion that Aglaktii had better things to concern herself with? Or was it merely a sign of isolation—for the young woman clearly had been spending much time to herself, as her newly-forged physique hinted. She would clearly have to hold off on making an assumption.

“Cairenn.” Aglaktii made another bow, though if it leaned less formal than the one that she had given Ingoth it could not be helped. She stepped forward further into the Red’s weyr, laying a hand casually on Kangath’s forelimb, for if nothing else each of their dragons might bridge their emotional gap more easily. “If I may be honest, it was Kangath’s idea. It has not been an easy sevenday. He thought it might be easier with Ingoth, and with you.” It was a weak answer, she knew it, but she was not prepared to admit the deeper truths. That she was painfully lonely, and homesick as she had not been since she had left the Wastes. That her own weyr was driving her a little mad.

“I apologize for our lack of manners, I know it is not the usual way. I think we are both a little desperate for company but have forgotten how to be in it.” At least that last bit might stroke a similar chord in Cairenn, for she had obviously forgotten how to be in company, too.

@Aftershock
PMEmail
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Dec 25 2017, 04:28 PM
Wingrider

137 Posts
325 Marks

"I do not blame Quoth," replied the red, her massive head drooping a bit as well, "She was never as concerned about the pack as either of us... she loved all. She had no ill intentions, she simply followed the whims of Hers, and I cannot blame her for that any more than I can blame Lyreth... we are nothing without our bondeds, and so we must follow their whims and suffer their mistakes. We can guide, but we cannot force." Ingoth's mindvoice was just as vicious-sounding as it was at her hatching, but it no longer held an edge of aggression like it once did... it seemed the calmness inherent in Cairenn's changed personality had an influence over her dragon, leading a philosophical bent to Ingoth's mindwords that was a bit unusual for the color.

Cairenn scoffed quietly and waved a hand dismissively when Aglaktii bowed, saying, "We are both only weyrlings, and in the exact same class to boot. I might be Wingsecond during lessons, but I honestly feel I was given it purely for riding a subqueen, as I don't feel I've earned the position in the slightest... and we're not in a lesson right now, anyway, this is purely a social call." She listened to the burgundyweyrling speak, and nodded faintly, replying, "I am sorry to hear that it has been difficult for you... I have, indeed, been quite isolated from others, so I had no idea you were having such troubles." Pausing, she seemed to notice her own sitting posture as opposed to Aglaktii's standing, and she added, "In fact, I'll use that to excuse my lack of seating for you... I am not used to hosting company." She sat awkwardly silent for a moment, as if she had no idea how to continue the conversation, then seemed to make a decision and sat up from her spot on Ingoth's tail, sliding down off the dragon's rump and over her tail, the back of her short nightshirt bunching up as she slid down and riding up to expose her bare lower half momentarily, though Cairenn did not seem to notice, either not noticing the exposure at all, or simply not caring. "If you're comfortable, perhaps we could speak in my bedroom, instead? It's much warmer in there, with a stove, and not exposed to the open ledge," she said once she reached the ground, indicating the room with an arm while the other wherry-pimpled limb kept protectively wrapped around her thinly-clad torso.

@Tobes
PMEmail
^
Tobes
 Posted: Dec 30 2017, 08:45 PM
Wingrider

151 Posts
1966 Marks

Kangath snorted in response, the air seeming to go out of him as he slumped down onto the floor of the cavern. He lay in a loose semi-circle in front of Ingoth’s couch, his tailtips near her head and his head near her tail, sprawled with nonchalant ease, as if he were just as at home as she was. Even in repose he was not entirely still, still full of an insistent energy that made his talons drum on the rock and his tail twitch from time to time. See now, that’s why I came ta ya, Ingoth. That sounds right smart. Terrifying with all the snarling, too, but once you got used to hearing it it was just how the Red was, wasn’t it? Some of the others thought he was violent too, and he did have to admit that he had landed a few blows in his time, especially before knowing Aglaktii. Though I don’t know as some of ‘em can be guided even. Didja know Mine took some special medicine to ‘em while they was all comin’ down sick? Didn’t use a bit of ‘em in the end. Might be they could’ve saved Lyreth’s but now we’ll never know. More quietly, almost guiltily conspiratorial, he added, Hurt Mine, that did. They’re still sore over it.

Aglaktii ducked her head to hide an embarrassed smile. Cairenn was quite right, and she was gradually becoming aware of her own strong leanings towards formality, even when they veered towards the unnecessary.

“You will have to accept my apologies, for my… stiffness. I am unaccustomed to Weyrborn company. Still. Perhaps we can be unaccustomed to company together then. We cannot possibly become worse at it for having practiced.” The silence stretched for an uncomfortable moment. The Wastewanderer was beginning to miss having a formal gesture to fall back on—at least it would have given her something else to focus on. Already her own foot was tapping in imitation of Kangath’s. But Cairenn was on the move soon after, and dark eyes followed her descent, noting distantly that the other had clearly been honing her body in her spare time. Like much of the Weyr she ran toward leanness, though Aglaktii could not fault them for that. Winter was a trifling season here and could be survived without a meat on your bones. Though the Redweyrling clearly did not understand how to dress for the weather, even if she had meant to stay indoors all day. The offer to join Cairenn in her room was met with the first hint of warmness, just a softening around the eyes but not quite a true smile.

“I would be much obliged for that, if it does not trouble you.” She stepped forward, giving Kangath a last affectionate pat on his nearest headknob as she went. As she came up alongside the other weyrling she quirked her head to one side, clearly still weighing all of the other’s words. “You are wrong, though. Nia would not have made you Wingsecond if you had not proved yourself capable. Ingoth too. She is not even the biggest, if that were a reason they picked anyone for it at all.”

@Aftershock
PMEmail
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Jan 1 2018, 09:12 PM
Wingrider

137 Posts
325 Marks

Ingoth shook her head at Kangath's mindwords, her eyes washing over quickly with a flash of red at the news that deaths could have been prevented, before a glance from Cairenn had the red quickly fade back into a neutral blue as she mentally squelched the flash of rage from the red. "Some humans, like some of our own kind, can truly find themselves trapped in a web of their own confidence," replied Ingoth, after a moment of thought, "They find their knowledge and leadership so often needed to drive the less-confident to action, that to doubt themselves and lose that drive becomes anathema to their minds." Glancing over at Aglaktii, she added, "Perhaps Yours can use this incident to push herself to be more bold next time, require others to listen to her one way or another for their own good."

Cairenn waved off Aglaktii's apology like she did the bows that prompted it, replying quickly, "It is no problem... if it makes you more comfortable, it does not bother me. I just wished you to know that I don't feel it necessary, especially when it's just the four of us." As the burgundyweyrling continued, Cairenn added thoughtfully, "I had honestly given up on anyone having an interest in spending time with me and Ingoth... perhaps it would do us both good to regain some social practice, indeed, as I honestly have never been very good with people even before Ingoth."

Getting a positive response from Aglaktii, Cairenn smiled wanly and led the way to her bedroom, lifting and pushing past the leather drape that served as a door in the wood-poor Weyr, leaving it suspended momentary for Aglaktii to catch it before it simply fell back into place in the burgundyweyrling's face. Walking over to the small coal-burning stove along the wall, Cairenn carefully poked the orange coals in the stove with a metal rod, causing them to flare up again to a bright yellow-orange, then stood in front of the stove with her arms still crossed, letting the heat wash over her winter-cooled body. The room was spartan, with a simple bed piled with blankets and furs, neatly arranged with only a small divot matching the size and shape of Cairenn's bottom near the edge of the coverings... likely where she sat during her meditations. On a small chest of drawers sat a small, square wherrybone jewelry frame, where hung four or five simple earrings and necklaces, clearly well-maintained. Beside it, pushed towards the back edge and clearly unused for a while, were basic makeup pots. Beside them sat a round, polished mirrorstone beside a hairbrush and a comb. In the corner of the room, Carienn had apparently been lucky enough to have a room where the carver had discovered a natural spring, fed from the channels deep in the stone of the Weyr walls that fed into the Weyr Lake, with a small metal bowl for collecting the water on a stand before it, a small metal framework with a brazier for coals from the stove beneath it to heat the freezing-cold water if desired. The walls were completely bare except for two herdbeast skulls, cleaned and dried, hung on the walls with pitons with their empty eyesockets pointed at the doorway. The skulls were similar to the ones Ingoth often snuck onto the ledges of her clutchsiblings.

Finally seeming to have heated herself up sufficiently, the pink color returning to her cold-paled skin, Cairenn moved over to carefully scoop some coals into the brazier under her water bowl, followed by pressing the edge of the bowl against the wall spring to collect some water within, returning it to its stand once the bowl was half-full. After that, she moved to the chest-of-drawers, grabbing the mirrorstone and her hairbrush as she attempted to smooth the tangles and wild hairs of sleep from the chocolate-colored locks upon her head, wherein she asked, "Would you like me to summon a drudge with some food or drink? You can sit upon the bed, if you wish."

@Tobes
PMEmail
^
Tobes
 Posted: Jan 9 2018, 12:01 AM
Wingrider

151 Posts
1966 Marks

Even Kangath flinched a little at the sudden onset of red in his sister’s eyes. But she was in control of her emotions, or at least her Rider was, and that was enough to set him back to ease. I reckon if she hadn’ta been dyin’ of sickness herself she woulda had a real blue with those Healers, and nothin’ for them to do but listen. But she was right different. All burnin’ up and stumblin’. He tipped his head to the side, regarding the Riders’ back as they retreated into Cairenn’s weyr. Did Yours catch it too? Seemed like half the Weyr down there, all bumpin’ heads and carryin’ on. Now that it was in the past it felt so small. At the time he had been “carryin’ on” too, though perhaps he dealt with his emotions in a quieter, tougher way than some.

Aglaktii followed the other weyrling past the hanging curtain, taking it from Cairenn’s hand with a murmur of appreciation. She turned in a slow half-circle as the Redweyrling breathed her coals back into flame, clearly taking in the atmosphere and noting how the other had chosen to decorate. There was no judgment in her expression, but she did not bother to hide that that was what she was doing, either. She approached a few of the objects in particular that seemed to catch her attention harder—the jewelry frame, the mirrorstone. It was from there that she noted the spring that ran along the wall. Another small noise of appreciation. “Would that they had made such a thing in my weyr, though I cannot complain for having hot water always, even if it is a little walk away.” The convenience of it all still struck her, though with what emotion she was less certain. At Cairenn’s offer she did approach the bed, though could not bring herself to sit, and instead ran a hand over the furs, turning the corners to note the tanned leather beneath.

“No, unless you find yourself famished. I would not want to trouble anyone only to convenience myself.” The corner of her mouth twisted, that earlier emotion showing through more clearly. Perhaps it would have been more polite to simply stow it away for later processing, but instead she found herself speaking it out loud, putting words to it as she went and not knowing where they would lead. “I find that the people here called drudges are, generally, well-treated. But they do not appear to garner much respect. I should think that they have more useful things to be doing than fetching me food, when I might fetch it myself so easily.” She stroked the furs back into place, paced a few steps away from the bed, then back, struggling to think and be still at the same time. She was not anxious, just… active.

“The People do not make such distinctions. You are not born to a caste. You do the work for which you are best suited, or that you love to be doing, which so often become the same thing if they were not already.” Aglaktii studied the other weyrling, curious to see what reaction this might provoke. But it was an unfinished thought at best, and one that she would need to tumble in her own mind for a long time to come, no doubt. Switching tacks, she tilted her head to one side a little, her expression unclouding into open curiosity. “Ingoth said you were meditating when we arrived. What is that like? I understand the word, but not as a thing that must be started and then stopped, and could not be done in front of others.”

@Aftershock
PMEmail
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 01:17 AM
Wingrider

137 Posts
325 Marks

Ingoth nodded at the explanation, and replied, "Cairennmine avoided the sickness, luckily, likely in part due to our isolation from others. One of the advantages afforded by it, I suppose." After a moment, she added, "I am glad that yours recovered without further incident, despite the problems she faced from the Healers. To lose three packmates would have been..." The red's mindvoice trailed off as a swirl of grey across her eyes said more than any mindwords could have.

"No, I am not famished. If you are not, I can wait to eat in the dining hall later," she replied, then fell silent as Aglaktii let loose her rant, letting the other woman get it out of her system without interrupting her, continuing to run her comb through her hair. Switching to her brush, having gotten all the tangles out of her hair, Cairenn thought for a moment, then replied, "While I don't truly understand the situation with the holds, with the wealthy and powerful being treated as superiors to those not born to the right family, I feel that, here in the Weyrs, it's done similar to how your people do it. The drudges serve us faithfully, because we, in turn, serve them, and all of Pern, by risking our lives and the lives of our closest companions to battle Thread. We do this because it was what we were born to do... else, we would not have been Searched, not been chosen at the hatching." Finishing her brushing, her thick, chocolate-brown hair now smooth and shiny, she moved back over to the water basin and checked the temperature with a finger, nodding once and scooping most of the coals back into the stove out of the brazier. As she did so, she continued, "Truly, we fly Thread mounted on the backs of our closest loved ones... loved ones we're so close to, we literally feel their pain, and one often fails to survive life without the other. We do it because that is what we were meant to do, and I feel the drudges are honored to serve us, and allow us to focus on making sure we are as well-trained and practiced at fighting Thread as we possibly can be."

Taking a washcloth, she dipped it into the now-warm basin of water, letting it soak as she reached down to begin pulling her nightshirt off. She got about up to her waist before she suddenly seemed to realize that stripping in front of someone without asking them might be rude, and dropped the nightshirt back into place as she said, "I'm sorry, I like to wash myself in the morning before getting dressed, and I'm not used to guests. I don't know how you feel about nudity around the same sex, so if you'd like to leave while I wipe down, you may, or turn around. I am not embarrassed, but do not wish to cause you embarrassment." If Aglaktii decided to leave, Cairenn would call out that she was finished after a couple minutes, else she would answer the other woman's question while bathing herself, saying, "Meditating, for me, is simply spending time quietly, trying to remove as many sensory inputs as I can so I can just focus on my mind and my bond to Ingoth. It generally involves just sitting quietly in here, the sound of the water flowing down the wall helping drown out any errant thoughts, my eyes closed. It has truly helped me improve my bond with Ingoth, and keep her aggression and temper under control, avoiding any violent outbursts and helping us sync during our training. I can show you how I do it sometimes, if you'd like." After she finished cleaning herself, Cairenn would dress herself for the day, putting on a pastel emerald knee-length cotton long-sleeved dress with a high collar, thick cotton stockings, and a pair of tan wherryhide calf-length boots.

@Tobes
PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates